MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Analogue Trance/Goa, in need of synths for it
CatloveX
post Fri 16 Jan 2004, 11:02
Post #1

Rookie

Group: Members
Member No.: 32,956

Hello,

I would like to build a home studio to create trance and psychedelic goa.

I have Powerbook G4 and a hard drive Lacie with nothing else, not even a sequencer.

I'd like to buy "Fat Sound"; I prefer analogue rather than the small digital sound, and i would need your advice.

My idea : an Acces Virus KC or next model, a Sherman Filterbank may be better than Moogerfoogers, a MiniMoog Voyager with the expander module (I don't know if this is usefull for my studio, I haven't seen yet trance artists use this kind of gear).

What would you advice me, to build my studio in a goa psyche spirit?

(I want as less as soft posible, only Sampletank for PT Digi 002 or ESX24 for Logic Platinum, didn't make the choice yet).

Thanks.

Blue

This post has been edited by CatloveX: Fri 16 Jan 2004, 11:19
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Tue 20 Jan 2004, 02:55
Post #2

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Group: Editors
Member No.: 2,758

The Voyager will cost as much as 5-6 "big names" in old analogue… It's a wonderfull synth but mainly aimed for performance or with the expansion unit as a semi modular set up.

The Sherman is a good choice. Great gear and MIDI aware.

The Virus is a VA not an analogue. It may be one of the best around, you should check the Alesis ION and its new little brother (shown at NAMM, see MM news) the Micron. Great stuff for VAs

If you want some analogue FAT, find some Studio Electronics (ATC-1x with the different filters) it's so FAT it needs a weight watcher diet laugh.gif

Also check the little (soon not so little) Dave Smith Evolver, lots of possibilities (digital/analogue hybrid, with real analogue oscillators along a Prophet VS part)

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
Eternal Tedium
post Tue 10 Feb 2004, 08:33
Post #3

Member No.: 35,430

what's your budget?

+Quote Post
CatloveX
post Tue 10 Feb 2004, 09:35
Post #4

Rookie

The budget is not a problem as I can do it on the long run.

For the moment I am going to buy an Andromeda A6 to play and control Logic Pro 6. I did my choice for the sequencer.

Then I will see for the rest.

Moog definitevely not, some say too fat to fit in a mix and limited for the price, but I liked the products of Studio Electronics (ATC-1x) that Lepetitmartien told me (merci, Lepetitmartien).

My actual problem is that I would like to get a souncard integrated with a mixer (if this is usefull), something as the Tascam 1894 (or so). Otherwise I would get the Motu 828mkII.

If you have any advice it would be welcome. Thanks in advance.

Blue

This post has been edited by CatloveX: Tue 10 Feb 2004, 09:37

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Tue 10 Feb 2004, 22:57
Post #5

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Group: Editors
Member No.: 2,758

Well it's a different quesiton and way OT for theis thread, check the threads on the 1884 and on the Yamaha 01X, they may look the about same thing but very different aims.

It's all the the audio/MIDI/DSP cards and interface forum. Just like opinions on the 828.

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
sir eel
post Wed 11 Feb 2004, 02:02
Post #6

Member No.: 34,756

logic 6 with synths, 828, and and eventide eclipse....and good monitors! the eventide eclipse is really special....and time!

+Quote Post
pezagent
post Wed 7 Apr 2004, 05:23
Post #7

Member No.: 40,393

For analog, try as recommended, anything by Studio Electronics... I own an ATC-1 and it's great.

You can also check out PAIA on the web, they manufacture synth kits like FATMAN which are analog.

For added warmth to the FAT, use tube preamps.

I used to own two Tascam TSR-8 8 track decks for recording but sold one and gave the other away before I moved to New Zealand. Digital recording blows--one can't reproduce subharmonics with it, which are what dance music--especially psy or goa trance-- need.

I also used to own a Korg DW-8000 which was really very warm and fat, it uses both Digital and Analog. (Digital producting the waveforms fed into the analog circuits.) I miss that one.

I have a Novation Super Bass Station rack, very cool, good sounds, analog.

And a heavy supply of d-lysergic acid diethylamide also helps. blink.gif

-jcs

+Quote Post
CatloveX
post Wed 7 Apr 2004, 08:08
Post #8

Rookie

Thanks a lot for your help.

Cosmic Blue wink.gif

+Quote Post
editbrain
post Thu 8 Apr 2004, 20:49
Post #9

Member No.: 30,424

to make goa:

hook your walkman cd player to a 12 volt battery (this will make it play at 4x the speed) use any cd/style of music you want.

record that onto a cassette tape.

get a 909 and run that through a bass amp with guitar pedal eq.

combine the 909 and cassette recording of the high voltage cd recording.

when finished drive over the master recording a few times. you should get the sound your looking for.

i am sure i left out a few steps, but i will leave that to your creative influence.

happy recording,
editbrain

This post has been edited by editbrain: Thu 8 Apr 2004, 20:50

+Quote Post
Kaumbo
post Fri 22 Feb 2008, 11:44
Post #10

Member No.: 98,815

Hello I am in the same path as CatLoveX so I decided to 'upgrade' this topic. The problem is that I have not a Mac yet but I'll get one (I used to use PC).
I will try to find a Nordlead 2 and a Roland TB 303 for a start.
As for sequencer I have the very simple Sequel of Steinberg. But I think there is nosuch need for a complicated seq since one have (will have) analog gear. Even VST insts work nice!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Thu 28 Mar 2024, 16:52
- © 440 Forums 2011