MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Pinose Amp As A Pre-amp?
strangedogs
post Mon 30 Jan 2006, 18:22
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 66,239

Usually play my Guitar directly through my G5 Imac using a 1/4" --> 1/8" adapter on the end of my guitar cable... I'm using Amplitube and Guitar Rig software (Garageband too to import the tracks). Found a cheap Pignose Amp with pre-amp out and thought I could use it as a pre-amp to make the sound a bit richer - but the speaker on the Pignose doesn't cut out when used - is this normal? I can remove the speaker wires from the Pignose (internally) if I need to - does anyone know if this will work as a pre-amp??

http://www.pignoseamps.com/index.php?disp=...portamps&id=253
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
monkeyboy23
post Mon 30 Jan 2006, 20:46
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Team
Member No.: 74,134

The speaker not turning off is normal...it's just an out, it won't mute the speaker output. It should work as a pre-amp, just not a silent one.

Disconnecting the speaker can damage the amp unless you use a speaker load, like a thc hot plate.

+Quote Post
dangt
post Tue 31 Jan 2006, 00:28
Post #3

Rookie

Group: Members
Member No.: 23,835

I would be cautious of running a amped guitar signal straight into your G5 mini jack, it might fry the audio board.

I wrecked a stereo amp Hifi system once by playing guitar into it.

If you had some sort of Audio interface or even a mixing desk before going into the g5, it might soften the signal and give you control over volume output going into g5.

Im not sure really, other peoples thoughts??

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Tue 31 Jan 2006, 01:43
Post #4

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Group: Editors
Member No.: 2,758

On the load issue… it's at least one if the amp is valve driven, then there MUST be a load after the amp (which can be a lamp btw, but i'd go for something less DIY myself for daily use). For other non-valve, I don't know, so I won't give advice.

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
dixiechicken
post Tue 31 Jan 2006, 19:45
Post #5

Group Icon

Group: Team
Member No.: 14,645

The sound from the loudpeaker/cabinet in a guitaramp is a very important component in the all-over perceived sound.
That's why the Line 6 POD has a switch for "direct out/amp out" at the left/right output.
In amp-mode the POD:s speaker-cabinet simulation is disabled.

It is also important that the signal-levels and impedances from preamp-out into
"recording-gear/power-amp input" - have the proper ratios.

Both for getting a good signal for your recording gear to work with - and to avoid distortion
and unnecessary hiss.

If your Pignose "pre-amp out" were to have a specified impedance of have lets say 20 KOhms.

If you were to connect a load from some strange indeed constructed poweramp with an input
impedance of 200 Ohms.
Your Pignose preamp would suddenly have to deliver current into a resulting impedance of 198 Ohms.
thats roughly a 10 to the second power difference.  Thats pretty close to short a short circuit - well not quite.

If your Pignose preamp out is transistor driven - you will fry those transistors and possibly the powerpack
and other components as well - in two seconds flat.

However the other way around is completely safe - in comparison.
A 200 Ohms output kan easily handle a 20 KOhm load.
The 200 Ohm output will only feel the result as a 198 Ohm load instead of 200 - only a 1 percent difference.

Cheers: Dixiechicken

--------------------
==================
Oh my god it's full of stars…
---------------------------------------------------
Mac-G5-2x.2.0, OS-X 10.5.1, 250/200Gb HD - 7.0Gb ram
DP-5.13, Motu 828 MK-II, MTP AV Usb, ltst drvs,
Kurzweil-2000, EPS-16, Proteus-2000, Yamaha 01V
Emes Kobalt monitors
================================

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Thu 28 Mar 2024, 21:40
- © 440 Forums 2011