MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Reason 2.5 Not Installing On Osx
BoosterGold
post Tue 18 Jul 2006, 02:55
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 66,395

I wonder if any of you guys could help me. I have not been able to install Reason on my iMac G5. I can install the program disc fine and after installed it prompts me to insert the Orkestra disc. However, when I put the Orkestra CD in, the computer seems to register the CD but then spits it right back out, same with the sound bank CD. I have tried installing many times with the same results. I really want to get to making music and this installation is really giving me a headache. If any of you guys could help me with this it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
monkeyboy23
post Tue 18 Jul 2006, 05:01
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Team
Member No.: 74,134

QUOTE (BoosterGold @ Tue 18 Jul 2006, 01:55) *
I wonder if any of you guys could help me. I have not been able to install Reason on my iMac G5. I can install the program disc fine and after installed it prompts me to insert the Orkestra disc. However, when I put the Orkestra CD in, the computer seems to register the CD but then spits it right back out, same with the sound bank CD. I have tried installing many times with the same results. I really want to get to making music and this installation is really giving me a headache. If any of you guys could help me with this it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

The one time this happened to me was when I was upgrading to 3.0 from 2.5. I was using the wrong Orkestra cd, it turned out. I forget the specifics, but I popped the other versions Orkestra cd in and it worked. Hopefully that's it.

+Quote Post
deaconblue
post Tue 18 Jul 2006, 15:27
Post #3

Member No.: 11,156

Hey Booster,

What happens if you put either the Orkester CD or the SoundBank CD into the drive when you are not using it to install? Do they mount? Do they have the correct name(s)? If they do, then I would agree with Monkeyboy, the version you are trying to use is not the correct one for the Reason version you are installing. If they do not mount or show up incorrectly in the Finder after they mount on the desktop, then I would contact Propellerheads to get a new copy as your CDs may be damaged or corrupted.

One other thing to try, just to be on the safe side, if they mount on the desktop correctly, but you still can't use them, make sure you try to repair the disc (hard drive volume) and the permissions using disk utility. Permissions issues can cause very weird things to happen. Sinc eReason writes to different directories during install, this could be causing some problems as well.

Good luck.

peace.

--------------------
...as you dream you shall become.
boxed art media
Musicians' Access
M.A.W.R web radio

+Quote Post
BoosterGold
post Tue 18 Jul 2006, 17:23
Post #4

QUOTE (deaconblue @ Tue 18 Jul 2006, 14:27) *
Hey Booster,

What happens if you put either the Orkester CD or the SoundBank CD into the drive when you are not using it to install? Do they mount? Do they have the correct name(s)? If they do, then I would agree with Monkeyboy, the version you are trying to use is not the correct one for the Reason version you are installing. If they do not mount or show up incorrectly in the Finder after they mount on the desktop, then I would contact Propellerheads to get a new copy as your CDs may be damaged or corrupted.

One other thing to try, just to be on the safe side, if they mount on the desktop correctly, but you still can't use them, make sure you try to repair the disc (hard drive volume) and the permissions using disk utility. Permissions issues can cause very weird things to happen. Sinc eReason writes to different directories during install, this could be causing some problems as well.

Good luck.

peace.

Thanks you guys for replying. Yes, both CDs are recognized by the computer when they aren't being used to install. The weird thing is when I'm prompted by the installation program to insert the disk, the CD is recognized for a split second and spit right back out. And even if I just insert the orkestra and sound bank discs and just click on the program on the CD, it'll eject itself out. So I'm pretty sure the CDs itself aren't the problem. The other thing is I have Reason 2.0 and the upgrade to 2.5 and the installation won't work on either program. Also, where would I go into to use disk utility, I've looked around my computer and can't find it.

Thanks!

+Quote Post
deaconblue
post Wed 19 Jul 2006, 04:52
Post #5

Member No.: 11,156

Booster,

Go to the Hard Drive -> Applications -> Utilities -> Disk Utility.

Open it and it should present a list of drives in your computer on the left hand side of the window. Click on your hard drive where the OS and Applications are installed (If you have more than one; if not, just click on the one named as your hard drive vs. Seagate 71420 blah blah blah, etc.), then click on the "First Aid" tab on the right. Click on Verify Disk. IF ANY problems are found, you should get your original system CD/DVD or latest Mac OS X CD/DVD, which ever has the latest version of the OS installed and boot from it (put it in the drive, restart and hold down "C" to boot from the optical drive). Once the OS X installer loads, go to the Utilities menu and select Disk Utility from there. Repeat the above process, but choose "Repair Disk" instead of verify.

If no problems are found during either one of these processes or all the issues were able to be repaired, then click on the "Repair Permissions" button.

Once both of these are comlpeted and no other problems are found (you might want to run each a couple of times to be sure) you should restart off the hard drive and try to install again.

Good luck. The technical gremlins can be the biggest pain. But, they are usually solved relatively quickly.

peace.

--------------------
...as you dream you shall become.
boxed art media
Musicians' Access
M.A.W.R web radio

+Quote Post
Justin Thyme
post Wed 19 Jul 2006, 21:47
Post #6

Member No.: 81,567

I have seen something similar happen. In my case, I changed users. When you do this, Reason no longer sees your registration info, and when you run it, it response as if it's being run for the first time after install. So it will ask for Orkester, mount it, see that the file is already installed, kick it out, and then do the same thing with the Soundbanks CD.

I'm new to Macs, but my guess is that somehow your configuration isn't being saved properly, so every time you run Reason it reacts like the first time you run it. I don't have an answer for the hows and whys of that, but perhaps someone else does.

+Quote Post
BoosterGold
post Fri 21 Jul 2006, 04:17
Post #7

QUOTE (deaconblue @ Wed 19 Jul 2006, 03:52) *
Booster,

Go to the Hard Drive -> Applications -> Utilities -> Disk Utility.

Open it and it should present a list of drives in your computer on the left hand side of the window. Click on your hard drive where the OS and Applications are installed (If you have more than one; if not, just click on the one named as your hard drive vs. Seagate 71420 blah blah blah, etc.), then click on the "First Aid" tab on the right. Click on Verify Disk. IF ANY problems are found, you should get your original system CD/DVD or latest Mac OS X CD/DVD, which ever has the latest version of the OS installed and boot from it (put it in the drive, restart and hold down "C" to boot from the optical drive). Once the OS X installer loads, go to the Utilities menu and select Disk Utility from there. Repeat the above process, but choose "Repair Disk" instead of verify.

If no problems are found during either one of these processes or all the issues were able to be repaired, then click on the "Repair Permissions" button.

Once both of these are comlpeted and no other problems are found (you might want to run each a couple of times to be sure) you should restart off the hard drive and try to install again.

Good luck. The technical gremlins can be the biggest pain. But, they are usually solved relatively quickly.

peace.

Hey, thanks for you reply. Sorry I didn't post earlier but I was away for a couple of days. I tried what you said and for some reason I can't start up my computer off of the OSX disc. It just goes straight to the installation stage, and when I choose to start it up again off the disc, it goes directly to installation. I am pressing C. I did check the hard disk and there was damage and then I fixed them and repaired the permissions but the Reason installation disc is still not working. I don't even know what to do anymore, this headache over installation is really making me absolutely frustrated. I have had a long problem with my computer that I've held off doing anything about for a while which maybe if I fix it would work. My iMac has been intermittently shutting off. When I called Apple about it they asked me to open the back and press the button that makes all of the power selections back to normal. For some reason Apple neglected to include that button. Maybe I should just buck up and get the Mac fixed so then maybe Reason will work. The really frustrating thing is everything else I have installed has worked fine, except for Reason, and Reason is the one program I really want to use. Oh well, thanks guys for the info.

+Quote Post
lancet
post Fri 21 Jul 2006, 13:48
Post #8

Member No.: 46,480

QUOTE (BoosterGold @ Thu 20 Jul 2006, 23:17) *
I can't start up my computer off of the OSX disc. It just goes straight to the installation stage, and when I choose to start it up again off the disc, it goes directly to installation. I am pressing C.

That's what it's supposed to do. The OSX disc is an installation disk only. You can't really run your computer with it. It will always go straight to the start of the installation. You have access to a couple of Utilities via a menu, but that's it.

Your power problems may be a power supply/ Main logic board issue, take it in for service. This is likely unrelated to your Reason install problem.

Did you contact Propeller Heads?? they should how to get Reason installed on your machine. Maybe they just need to send you a fresh set of disks.

Are your Reason disks an official Commercial set? I had the very same problem with an un-Official, non-commercial set once.

This post has been edited by lancet: Fri 21 Jul 2006, 13:57

--------------------

+Quote Post
BoosterGold
post Sat 22 Jul 2006, 04:26
Post #9

QUOTE (lancet @ Fri 21 Jul 2006, 12:48) *
QUOTE (BoosterGold @ Thu 20 Jul 2006, 23:17) *

I can't start up my computer off of the OSX disc. It just goes straight to the installation stage, and when I choose to start it up again off the disc, it goes directly to installation. I am pressing C.

That's what it's supposed to do. The OSX disc is an installation disk only. You can't really run your computer with it. It will always go straight to the start of the installation. You have access to a couple of Utilities via a menu, but that's it.

Your power problems may be a power supply/ Main logic board issue, take it in for service. This is likely unrelated to your Reason install problem.

Did you contact Propeller Heads?? they should how to get Reason installed on your machine. Maybe they just need to send you a fresh set of disks.

Are your Reason disks an official Commercial set? I had the very same problem with an un-Official, non-commercial set once.

Nah, they're official. The funny thing is I took them over to a friend's ibook and and installation went fine. GRAH. Also, my up key hasn't been working for a while which I think is related to the supply/main logiv board problem. I just don't want to pay for a new set of disks. Oh well. Thanks for replying to my question lancet. People around here are so nice and helpful, this must be the Mayberry of Mac music sites.

+Quote Post
lancet
post Sat 22 Jul 2006, 14:01
Post #10

Member No.: 46,480

then try this..... Have your friend come over with his iBook.

Get a firewire cable and connect the two machines. hold the "T" key down and start your machine.

when you get the firewire symbol on your screen , hold the option key down on your friends machine and power it up.

keep holding the option key down on the iBook until you see a medium blue screen with two buttons on it.

wait until it finishes scanning for bootable drives , select YOUR hd and click on the right arrow button . now the iBook will be booting from your HD.

Try to install.

wait , try this first. with the 2 machine connected with a firewire cable boot the iBook in FW target mode.

hold the T key on it and boot. boot your iMac normally, and you should get the iBook's HD on your desktop

then put the install CD's in the iBook and they should show up on the desktop of your iMac.

Try to install, if they install fine there is a problem with your optical drive.

hope this makes sense...

BTW , the up arrow is more likely the keyboard itself.... carefully pry , (with something plastic) the key off and inspect, maybe you got something wedged it there... ;-) They keys snap in out/in fairly easily.

This post has been edited by lancet: Sat 22 Jul 2006, 14:07

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Fri 29 Mar 2024, 08:00
- © MacMusic 1997-2008