MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Headphones
inadaze
post Fri 19 Sep 2003, 19:08
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,385

I'm in the market for some new headphones for recording music on my computer. Could anyone suggest a brand that is good? I would also like some idea of what is good quality. Maybe list somethings to look for in a set of headphones...
I'm also a poor student and i'm looking in the range of 100-150 dollars Canadian (or less if possible).

Thanks
Jay
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Synthetic
post Sat 20 Sep 2003, 23:43
Post #2

Maniac Member

Member No.: 1,082

I bought some Sony MDR-v600 headphones from Best Buy for $99 and they have served me well. Nice clean sound, good bass response and comfortable. They even come with nice leather carrying bag. They seem like more expensive models really. cool.gif

--------------------
----------------------------------------
<span style='font-size:18pt;line-height:100%'>Synthetic Tone</span>
Click above for totally original electronic music, art, & photos.
Click below to become an active member of the MacMusic.org site..

<span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'>Become An Active Member</span>

G4 550mhz Tibook & Brand Spankin New Dual G5 2Ghz Power Mac with Tiger.
So long old OS9 apps :(

+Quote Post
add9
post Sun 21 Sep 2003, 08:46
Post #3

Member No.: 6,388

I guess I can recommend Beyerdynamic from DT 770 and up. Clean, dry sound.
They cost around 200 CAD

"IIIIIIII'm every woman, it's all in me..."

--------------------
"It said Windows 2000 or better on the box, so I bought a Mac"

+Quote Post
boze
post Wed 1 Oct 2003, 17:26
Post #4

Member No.: 24,676

I use Audio Technica ATH-M40fs headphones and i've been happy with them. they're old and wearing out now but once I broke the hinge and the folks at AT were just like 'mail them to us and we'll fix them for free and mail them back to you' the whole thing took about a week and i was amazed.

best thing is to go to a store and listen yourself. not a bestbuy where they get mad if you open things but a music store that sells pro audio. they'll still have phones in your pricerange and you'll get to hear them and feel them on your head. pay attention to comfort as well as sound because wearing phones for a long time can make it harder to stay productive if you're feeling all sweatyheaded =)

and if you move around a lot consider a pair that fold up in like those Sony's synthetic mentioned.

good luck!

--------------------
Kit: Dual Ghz G4, Vaio 2.6ghz GRV670 notebook. Software: Reaktor, Reason, Ableton Live. Leanings: Laptop performance, jazz guitar, singing.

+Quote Post
jordanl310
post Tue 2 Nov 2004, 06:51
Post #5

Member No.: 54,285

The Sony 7509's are pretty comfy and sound great as well.

But, as boze said, the Audio technica support is top notch. He's the third person that has said they replaced a broken piece of gear with a new one or at least fixed it with no questions asked.

+Quote Post
Barb
post Thu 4 Nov 2004, 15:26
Post #6

Rookie

Member No.: 38,876

I have the AKG 240 and they are good. Industry standard in recording studios. I am very happy with Sennheiser products and have ordered the 280 Pro. I am told they have a flater responce than the Sony's which I have. Also, the isolation is going to be better. Neumann/Sennheiser. Can't go wrong.

+Quote Post
dave-g
post Tue 30 Nov 2004, 01:10
Post #7

Member No.: 46,231

I love the Sennheiser HD600's for studio monitoring/mixing and even home audio listening. their sound is about as totally neutral as you can get and they are really comfy to wear for hours on end. They are a little pricey though but you can catch them at bargain prices on newegg.com once in a while. I used to have the Sennheiser HD580's and while not quite as refined they are great for most studio work and are about 90% as good as the HD600's for a lot less money.

a great site to check out is www.headphone.com their reviews of each headphone is so honest it's scary. they will clearly tell you which ones to stay away from and even point you to cheaper ones that sound better, all right on the summary page. It's refreshing to hear someone to tell it like it is.
hope this helps,
Dave-g

--------------------
Wave Creative Services
Christiansted, St. Croix, US Virgin Islands

+Quote Post
CanadaRAM
post Tue 30 Nov 2004, 05:17
Post #8

Rookie

Member No.: 55,783

AKG K240 Studio Great sound, comfy, decent isolation but not totally closed (so not a DJ 'phone)

I've had K240s for about 16 years, on my third pair (only because my teenaged son appropriated the first 2 for his studio)

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

+Quote Post
macyu
post Tue 30 Nov 2004, 05:36
Post #9

Rookie

Member No.: 18,075

Since the AKG 240's were mentioned, I'll also put in my props for the AKG K270 Studio and 271 (which is the new version of the 270). The plus for there are that you can also use it for tracking and live recording (where you can't get a booth) because they have some of the best isolation around. They're pretty comfortable, although since it is a closed design, it could get hot after a while. One neat feature is that the headband acts as a mute switch so when you take the phone's off, the sound cuts off. They seem pretty sturdy, and the new 271's are even better because they have detatchable/replaceable cables. However, as far as mixing and general listening headphones, Sennheiser HD600's seem to be the best in my opinion.

+Quote Post
philsen
post Tue 7 Dec 2004, 17:29
Post #10

Member No.: 22,421

in most studios on the planet, the sony mdr-7506 is some kind of standard. great one. there is a newer version out now, the mdr-v700. doesn´t look as good as the old one, but sounds well too. very loud..

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Thu 28 Mar 2024, 23:19
- © 440 Forums 2011