MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Lower End Monitoring, suggestions?
Jrbrockm
post Mon 25 Jul 2005, 08:52
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 68,110

Hey folks, brand new to MacMusic!

Looking to buy a starter set of monitors on a limited budget. Looking at these items and would like suggestions.

Tannoy ProtoJ
Edirol MK 10A
Roland DM10
Behringer TRUTH B2030P

Looking for something as transparent as possible. I'm doing mostly film scoring, although I often write pop songs. Anyone worked with these?
Thanks!
JB
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
timoren
post Sun 28 Aug 2005, 05:50
Post #2

Member No.: 62,555

Hi JrBrockm
first off the Tannoy and Behringer models you list are passive speakers. Meaning you'll need an additional amplifier to power them. The Edirol & Roland models you list, I believe, are the same speaker, just in different packaging (Edirol is owned by Roland). Transparency at this price range is not going to happen. If you have to stay in the $150 budget you should consider the M-Audio DX4s also. If your willing to spend the money, I'd reccomend stepping up to the $250-300 range. There is a lot more transparency and dynamic range in that group. The Fostex PM05, Samson Resolve 50a and Alesis Proactive 2.0 are all good choices for small near feild monitors. I personally use the Fostex PM1s. Although not terribly transparent (the highs roll off a bit early and the bass response is a little heavy at 40-50Hz), I find that they are very comfortably voices for long session and translate very well to a multitude of systems.

You may also consider just going with a set of Sony MDR 7506 headphones. These are the industry standard and for the money will out perform all of the monitors you list. But be warned, they are a bit harsh on the ears.

I hope this has been helpful

+Quote Post
Jrbrockm
post Mon 29 Aug 2005, 04:29
Post #3

Member No.: 68,110

Thanks!
Thinking about the Samson Resolv and Rubicon series'. Is it worth it to spring for the Rubicons?
JB

+Quote Post
timoren
post Mon 29 Aug 2005, 07:18
Post #4

Member No.: 62,555

here's a review from Sound on Sound:
http://www.soundtech.co.uk/samson/news/rubiconsos

I've never heard these to make a comparison. I personally would prefer to go with a larger/more powerful speaker over a novel feature. The way I see it is, if your driving a 120 watt near field monitor to distort, your doing something wrong and going deaf in the process. Plus, you'll get more lowend out of larger cones.

Most manufacturers post the frequecy responce of monitors on thier website. this is a great source of information when deciding on your purchase. Generally, you'll want the one with the widest, most even response through the sound spectrum, hence a flat responce.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Fri 19 Apr 2024, 05:37
- © 440 Forums 2011