MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Keyboards/sequencer/workstation, Best connection to digital multitracker
Nels
post Tue 16 Dec 2003, 23:29
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 25,398

The most common connection for keys to a mixer/digital mutitracker is L/R out to L/R in, but does anyone know how to get a more spacious/ambient sound in the headphones/monitors? I've never tried it, but as with 2 amps giving a more spacious stereo sound, will that work with keyboards? Instead of relying on the phantom power from the mixer, would it be possible to hook up seperate, (preferably small amps) to the L and another to the R. Example: Out L of the keys to amp--Out R to another amp and then L/R out from the amps to the mixer/digital mutitracker. so that both channels are independent of one another? And if so, does anyone know which stereo amp or individual amps to use. I'm thinking small with just enough power to get a clean, full and noiseless signal to the mixer. Or is there some other way? ....Personally, I like to lay everything down on the sequencer's tracks, except for the vocals and guitar, then play along with the guitar and vocals while recording into the mixer. I'm successful with getting the guitar and vocals into the mix, but it takes a lot of tweaking to get it right. Sometimes, by the time I get it all sounding right, I've worn the song out in my head/ears and it doesn't seem worth wild anymore to go on with certain songs. I know that as a rule it's best to lay down individual tracks on the mixer and with little or no effects, but recording dry or near dry sure is boring. I ask again, is there a better way? Maybe I'm making little sense, if any, but there's got to be a way to get that great, great, tongue hanging out, spacious, incredibly ambient sound from my keys in the headphones or monitors while rehearsing and then laying down the tracks. The kind of sound that inspires you to create and then to be able to play along with, using only 2 channels. Well, since I do most of my sequencing on my keyboards/workstation,(drums, strings, horns and such) I'm hoping this is read by someone that knows, preferably a keyboardist, that can show me the way to greener grasses. .......Thanks in advance, if you're out there.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Synthetic
post Thu 18 Dec 2003, 15:45
Post #2

Maniac Member

Member No.: 1,082

ok... first your post is a bit intimidating and might be scaring off many readers (looks like one big long paragrap)... just as a suggestion... you might want to break down long posts into smaller paragraphs and more concise to help lure more peoiple in to reading it and hopefully offering some advice wink.gif

I am not exactly sure what you are trying to accomplish. Basically, are you just wanting to make your keyboard sound more spacious in the final mix of your music? And it sound like you are recording everything summed from your mixer right? When I want to make keyboards sit more in space... I use reverbs and such. Does you mixer have any reverbs? Yes you can create a sense of space by micing amps but then you get into phase alignment issues with stereo recordings and its a lot of trial and error.

Can you try to explain just a bit more and I will see if I can be more of help wink.gif

--------------------
----------------------------------------
<span style='font-size:18pt;line-height:100%'>Synthetic Tone</span>
Click above for totally original electronic music, art, & photos.
Click below to become an active member of the MacMusic.org site..

<span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'>Become An Active Member</span>

G4 550mhz Tibook & Brand Spankin New Dual G5 2Ghz Power Mac with Tiger.
So long old OS9 apps :(

+Quote Post
Nels
post Fri 19 Dec 2003, 02:17
Post #3

My sincere and deepest apologies. It truly was not my intension to be at all intimidating. I'm a very very nice guy. REALLY! It was only my, apparently failed attempt to be as clear concise as possible.

For the best stereo signal, are there any special keyboard/synth (direct) connections to the board/mixer that anyone might know about?.... was the basic question. I do use effects, but generally when recording dierect, it's best to record as dry as possible and add the effects in during mixdown. The standard connection will do fine, ...just thought there might be a better way.

With complete sincerity, I thank you for the heads-up. It is much appreciated and well noted. I certainly don't want to detour anyone from this forum. This forum is spectacular!

How was that?

+Quote Post
Synthetic
post Fri 19 Dec 2003, 03:35
Post #4

Maniac Member

smile.gif much better... its not a rule or law (I tend to do same thing somtimes) but have noticed that it always seems best to describe as much of youir situation as possible and the problem with as little wording and you get more people who will read and reply. Just a pattern I noticed. It's not really driving anyone away though.. they just seem to skip long and hard to figure text unless concise and broken up a bit so no worries cool.gif

so I think I now understand what you are talking about... only I have no clue on any special way to connect the keyboard really to accomplish that. Maybe someone else can jump in here and offer more help than I wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
dixiechicken
post Fri 19 Dec 2003, 23:40
Post #5

Group Icon

Group: Team
Member No.: 14,645

Imagine your song to be a painting on a canvas. You fill that space in various ways. High and low frequencies complex waveforms of all kinds.
Silence is just as important.

Effects used properly are good for ambience, but also playing around with the frequencies/sound of your piano. Is there a space for that particular piano-sound in your soundmix.

As Einstein is often said to have stipulated- All things are relative unsure.gif .

Cheers: Dixiechicken

--------------------
==================
Oh my god it's full of stars…
---------------------------------------------------
Mac-G5-2x.2.0, OS-X 10.5.1, 250/200Gb HD - 7.0Gb ram
DP-5.13, Motu 828 MK-II, MTP AV Usb, ltst drvs,
Kurzweil-2000, EPS-16, Proteus-2000, Yamaha 01V
Emes Kobalt monitors
================================

+Quote Post
swilder
post Sat 20 Dec 2003, 08:21
Post #6

Member No.: 23,402

One thing to consider is that all outputs are not created equal. Alot of keyboards tell you to use the Left output for a mono signal. I have found in many keyboards that the mono signal is not the same as if you took the Left and Right outputs and Y'd them together to mono. So I very much recommend that you go out of the Left and the right channels of the keyboard.

As far as making it sound "big". If you have a real dense mix with alot of different sounds, it might be more effective to give each sound it's own small place in the mix instead of spreading every sound everywhere.

Just my 2 cents

Scott

+Quote Post
Nels
post Sat 20 Dec 2003, 09:19
Post #7

Thanks guys! ...I do appreciate you taking the time. If I discover a way, I'll let you all know...............

HAVE A GREAT TIME OVER THE HOLIDAYS

+Quote Post
Synthetic
post Sat 20 Dec 2003, 10:16
Post #8

Maniac Member

Happy Holidays to you too Nels! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Fri 19 Apr 2024, 23:47
- © MacMusic 1997-2008