MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mac Mini For Music Production?, Newbie considering a Mac Mini
thomas2755
post Tue 22 Jun 2010, 02:22
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 114,317

I am currently re-designing my project studio, which had been Windows based for several years. In the process, I'm considering various platforms---obviously, the Mac being the most likely alternative to Windows (sadly, I don't see Linux hosting VST instruments, nor do I see Linux providing a "stable" platform for the foreseeable future).

I am considering the MiniMac, loaded: 8 GB RAM, 7200 RPM Harddrive, hosting Logic and Reason. I use lots of VST instruments in my current set-up: Native Instruments, GForce, etc. Rather than purchasing an expensive monitor, I am thinking of using a KVM, essentially sharing this Linux box, with a 19inch Monitor.

Obviously, I could go with a tower, or I could go with a Power Mac, I suppose.

At this time, can anyone see any reason not to go with a Mini Mac, as I described it?

Thanks, in advance, for your expert advice.

TomR
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
houstonmusic
post Tue 22 Jun 2010, 16:14
Post #2

Member No.: 88,124

i've used a mini in audio and video intensive situations several times, with mixed results. i design for theater, and can't always control what machine i'll be running on. 2 of the 3 times i've used them, the mini's have failed on me. i ascribe it to pushing the little buggers a bit hard. overheating, dusty environments, etc. they're just not as robust a form factor. add to that the design limitations, and i prefer not to get involved with them. all that said, my producing partner in LA uses one everyday in his second room.
good luck.

+Quote Post
kayj_prod
post Wed 23 Jun 2010, 06:17
Post #3

Rookie

Member No.: 99,001

Is a 7200 drive a build option on the new MacMini?
By the time you've stuck 8gb RAM in it, you could have bought a used MacPro with a faster processor or a new iMac with an i5. Yes RAM is important for music, but is going to be limited eventually by your processor.
Having said this, I have a MacMini running 24/7 at home as a DVR and iTunes server and it has never missed a beat. I also use three at work for Logic and you have to be doing some advanced stuff before they run into CPU limits. Quite amazing really. Wouldn't be my first choice for my main workstation though if I had the money to buy 8gb of RAM to be honest!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Thu 28 Mar 2024, 13:42
- © MacMusic 1997-2008