MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
> Help Me Start Out With Acoustic Guitar
timjac
post Mon 28 Apr 2008, 09:33
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 100,684

My regards to the community. I already have a taste of music as I played Saxophone for 6 years and sang in choir for 5. I want to have my fingers going on an acoustic guitar. I already own 2. . I was wondering if anyone could tell me a good way to start out. What should I be doing, etc... That kind of stuff. Any advice would be great.

Thanks
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
makaala
post Fri 19 Jun 2009, 06:58
Post #2

Rookie

Group: Members
Member No.: 68,847

"The keys of A, C, D, E and G are easiest." Ty is correct in that these keys are the easiest. Bb's, F and Eb never seemed to give me that "folk acoustic" feel I was looking for and were difficult to achieve. However, songs written in these keys can be easily achieved using a device called a capo. A capo clamps on the neck and helps to transpose the key to either play along with the original or to play with other musicians who might only be able to play in a certain key(harmonica players).
La bamba, Hang on Sloopy etc, for example, are songs with three chords (C,F,G). You can play them in the first position using those foundation chords. But with a capo on the third fret, playing those same chords transpose or change the key to Eb, Ab, Bb.
For me, the Beatles songbook helped push me forward. My neighbor and I mangled the Beatles for years and as bad as it sounded, we knew that we could approximate where the song was going by following those chord diagrams. Find music you really like and that will motivate you to reach the end of that piece of sheet music. Good luck!
Mak
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Tue 14 May 2024, 01:34
- © 440 Forums 2011