MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mixing With Headphones
japanarian
post Tue 20 Sep 2005, 04:31
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 68,943

I dont have the $$$ for good monitors yet, so I'm working with a pair of headphones for the time being. Anyone have any tips on how to make up for some of what is lost working without them?

Thanx,
The J.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Tue 20 Sep 2005, 06:47
Post #2

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Group: Editors
Member No.: 2,758

Don't use them…

More seriously, don't make long sessions, keep level low and get out of them after 40mn in an hour. Save your ears.

Also it'll screw you on the stereo imaging and certainly bass, so you'll have to particularly watch about these. cool.gif

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
japanarian
post Thu 22 Sep 2005, 02:25
Post #3

Also it'll screw you on the stereo imaging and certainly bass, so you'll have to particularly watch about these.

I'm guessing there's not much I can do about the stereo imaging(unless there's some good way to simulate speakers). Is there any way I could try to compensate for bass problems? Is it a matter of bass levels in the mix, and/or equalization difficulties? Any rules of thumb come to mind?

Thx again,

The J.

+Quote Post
AlexeyMohr
post Tue 29 Nov 2005, 17:50
Post #4

Member No.: 73,164

Really the best advice is "don't use them." Even bad monitor speakers are a much better choice than mixing on headphones.

That being said, the best you can do is spend a LOT of time checking your mixes on other sound systems. Burn frequent CDs and try them in your car, in your home stereo, even thru your TV using your DVD player. If you can learn how your mixes translate to other playback systems, you can figure out what needs to be done when mixing on headphones.

As for specific tips, keep your mixing conservative. When using EQ, don't boost or cut by huge amounts. Also keep compression under control. It may sound nice and loud in the headphones, but it'll sound squashed on any other system. Spend the majority of your time establishing levels between the various elements; that'll be the most productive thing you can do on headphones.

--------------------

+Quote Post
japanarian
post Fri 2 Dec 2005, 18:43
Post #5

Hey Alexey. Thanks for the sound advice(no pun intended). I've since gotten a pair of Yorkville YSM1Ps and my mixes have improved considerably. I'm still having trouble getting the bass right though. Mixes tend to come out a little bottom weak when I play it on my car stereo(no Hi-Fi). I've set them up as correctly as I know how to: tweeters approximately 3 feet apart forming an equilateral triangle with my head at the apex of one corner, acoustics DIP switches set accordingly. Since I'm still getting familiarized with the new setup, and I'm sure it could use some tweaking, I try to get my mixes' EQ to match that of my favourite artists' mixes on all available playback devices. I live in a rental unit, so acoustic treatment is not a favourable option at the moment. If you have any suggestions that i could try, I'm all ears.

Thanks,
The J.

+Quote Post
AlexeyMohr
post Fri 2 Dec 2005, 22:23
Post #6

Member No.: 73,164

Hey, glad to hear you got some monitor speakers!

A few points about bass:

- our ears are much less sensitive to low frequencies than high frequencies; additionally, the amount of difference changes with the overall volume. At louder levels our hearing becomes more even (although it's never ruler-flat by ANY means!). So if you're mixing quietly, you won't hear the low end accurately.

- most consumer systems can't reproduce bass frequencies below approximately 35-50Hz, so if you're busy pumping up the EQ around 20Hz you won't be accomplishing much.

- to make things punchy and thumpy, you'll want to add some boost around 80Hz. To make a bass guitar more melodic and clear, you'll need some boosting around 150 - 250Hz. Be careful though, as 250Hz - 1000Hz can be a really muddy area.

- be careful not to over-do the low end, as it can easily push you into the red without really helping your mix. What's worse is if you're going through a limiter on your master output, excessive bass will pump it and make your whole mix sound wonky. As Aristotle says, everything in moderation smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
swilder
post Sat 3 Dec 2005, 05:22
Post #7

Member No.: 23,402

Also keep in mind that there is no such thing as "The Perfect Speakers". No matter which ones you have; there's a honeymoon period where you just gotta suck it up and learn the personality of your particular monitors.

Play some cds that you're really familiar with through them. Especially play alot of music that is like what you'll be doing. It'll give you a reference for what your mixes should sound like

Scott

+Quote Post
kaboombahchuck
post Sat 3 Dec 2005, 14:01
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,003

One thing I do.....

I have an old stereo system hooked into my monitoring system. Go ahead Laugh!
I monitor the mix using my powered monitors. Then, if I'm wondering how it will hold up in the real word, I bring up the old stereo into the "monitoring" mix. The reason I use the old stereo is because it will pick up bass and throw it in your face (something the powered monitors won't). If the old stereo has to much bass coming fron play back, I know to back off.

--------------------
kaboombahchuck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

+Quote Post
mortalengines
post Sun 4 Dec 2005, 10:28
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 65,373

I have some headphones and I work construction, & both of these things are trashing my hearing... I just broke down & bought a set of M-audio Studiophile 3 monitors that are specifically made for computers & they sound good enough & are quiet enough to use in my house with the wife & kids sleeping in the night - basically they are a step up from computer speakers & they only cost around 100 bucks (the price of a decent pair of headphones). I wear earplugs at work. Here's to not going deaf. I used to LIVE with walkman headphones on & boy, am I paying for it now.

This post has been edited by mortalengines: Sun 4 Dec 2005, 10:30

+Quote Post
jaffi
post Mon 5 Dec 2005, 08:32
Post #10

Member No.: 66,983

QUOTE (swilder @ Dec 3 2005, 04:22)
Also keep in mind that there is no such thing as "The Perfect Speakers". No matter which ones you have; there's a honeymoon period where you just gotta suck it up and learn the personality of your particular monitors.

Play some cds that you're really familiar with through them. Especially play alot of music that is like what you'll be doing. It'll give you a reference for what your mixes should sound like

Scott

I don't know, man. The ADAM s3a's are about as close to the perfect monitor I have ever heard. If you haven't heard them, get yourself to your nearest ADAM store.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Fri 29 Mar 2024, 02:25
- © 440 Forums 2011