MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Recording Computer Aided Music, how to IAC patch together software generated sounds with OSX
kookoohead
post Wed 24 Oct 2007, 17:34
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 96,110

I'm new to the Computer Music arena and I am fascinated by ambient sound generators. There are some nice pieces of freeware available and I have downloaded several. Some are completely automated, others are for live sound manipulation.

The question becomes: How to record the multiple, separate software applications into a single recording and allowing for the possibility of adding in guitar improvisations over the ambient background generated by the software (this is not even for midi control but just sound input from a mixing console).

The IAC connection function seems to be the key but I can't figure out how to get it to locate the separate programs and route them to the recording software. The menu options only seem to allow for adding external midi components, not the routing of software-generated sounds.

The technical question: How to set up the IAC connections for the software applications and the inputed sounds for a single live recording. Where can one find any documentation of this type of configuration. The tools to do this seem to be built-in to the mac OSX. Is there documentation anywhere that explains how to do this?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mortalengines
post Thu 25 Oct 2007, 05:31
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 65,373

I would love to hear from some other people on doing it the way you are describing. I assume these generators work as VST or AU plug ins as well. If that is the case I would invest in a DAW like Logic, Cubase, or Live, where you could give each program/plug its own channel. The only possible drawback is that many of these plug ins can be fairly CPU intensive so it may be difficult to run several instances without getting audio dropouts and stuttering. Then again, if your computer is fast enough.....

www.myspace.com/mortal_engines

QUOTE (mortalengines @ Thu 25 Oct 2007, 04:26) *
I would love to hear from some other people on doing it the way you are describing. I assume these generators work as VST or AU plug ins as well. If that is the case I would invest in a DAW like Logic, Cubase, or Live, where you could give each program/plug its own channel. The only possible drawback is that many of these plug ins can be fairly CPU intensive so it may be difficult to run several instances without getting audio dropouts and stuttering. Then again, if your computer is fast enough..... If you have a fairly new Mac and the sound generator apps are AU plugs you could even do this with Garage Band which comes bundled.

www.myspace.com/mortal_engines
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Thu 28 Mar 2024, 11:33
- © MacMusic 1997-2008