MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Usb Microphones, Any suggestions
justnicola
post Sun 2 Dec 2007, 10:44
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 32,262

Hi Everyone!
I was thinking about a USB mic to use with my G4 ibook (1.2) (OSX10.3.9).
When I made enquiries with a computer music retailer, all they wanted to talk about was an UA25 interface and condenser XLR mic. I only want to record vocals and guitar, decent enough quality for a demo to
give to pubs&clubs etc.

Any thoughts on this dark winters morn?

Nicola smile.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mac Daddy
post Mon 3 Dec 2007, 09:42
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 76,633

justnicola,

You can probably get away with just a USB Microphone to present to pubs and clubs, however, these clubs/pubs must really be small venues? If this is the case, you're cool.

However, I bet you end up one day purchasing an Interface "ANYWAY".

Keep practising, singing and saving another few weeks won't hurt, plus, you'll begin to "Professinalize" your Hardware... Sorry to disappoint you, but there is still a link between Hard & Software... We all would like to be able to magically make it all work from just our lap or desktops, but it ends up sounding like something is missing or wanting.

Why don't you just walk into the club and do it live? Do it on a working night. Ask to go on during the break? If you are any good you'll get the "Gig" and maybe even a free drink, maybe the band or artist performing might need you... Sounds better than what you are about to do with the USB "Thang".

I have not really heard any "Great Reports" concerning USB Mics, but, if you want to get an unbiased review, go to (soundonsound.com) they have done several, they all had more Cons than Pros from what I remember. The main "Pro" is they are easy to use. "Cons". Bad signals and levels. But, what do you expect for a hundred pounds, dollars or euros?

Interface is the way, but, you know what you want to do, I'd just hate to see you end up with "Newbie Buyin' & Cryin Blues Dues" Im ashamed how easily I gave money away for "Crap". Arrrrrrggggggghhhhhh!

+Quote Post
deaconblue
post Mon 3 Dec 2007, 13:14
Post #3

Member No.: 11,156

Nicola,

I agree with Mac Daddy. If you can, I would recommend picking up a good interface so you have ready expansion ability when you get used to the recording process on your Mac and want to branch out. (you most likely will).

However, if you already know that this is all you'll ever need in the way of computer recording and are set on a USB mic, then there are a couple I would recommend:

Samson CO1U and CO3U are both really nice microphones for decent price (between $60 and $110 US). More info can be found on the Samson web page.

Blue makes some cool mics as well. The snowball mic is a good sounding mic for acoustic guitar and vocals. But you might need to treat your room a wee bit as it will pick up a lot of the natural reverb and give you a lot of reflections in your final tracks. If you plan on recording the vocals and guitar 'live' this won't matter too much.

Finally, the Marshall USB series of the MXL mics are really nice for being good condenser USB microphones with decent tone for 'cheap' (about $90 US).

I have tried several, these would be my picks if USB were my way to go. I have actually helped a couple of friends set up both the snowball and both of the Samson mics with really good results. I have tested the MXLs and own a few of their XLR equivalents.

The sound delta between the XLR and the USB are there, but based more on the fact I am running my XLR MXL mics through a good tube mic pre. If I plug them into a standard mic pre on my mixer, then the sound quality delta is nominal. The XLR based MXLs sound a wee bit 'hotter' but I think this is due to the fact that they are getting their phantom power via 48 volts and not the 5v USB power chain (which is shared with your keyboard and trackpad on a portable device and whatever other USB devices you have plugged into your desktop Mac).

Hope that helps. Best of luck with the decision.

peace

--------------------
...as you dream you shall become.
boxed art media
Musicians' Access
M.A.W.R web radio

+Quote Post
eaks
post Fri 21 Mar 2008, 14:33
Post #4

Group: Validating
Member No.: 22,521

take macdaddy's advice seriously! however, like he and deaconblue said, if you'rs SURE that's what you want...

then there would also be the Audio Technica AT20202 USB

and yes, beware of
"Newbie Buyin' & Cryin Blues Dues"

I also made terrible purchase ten years ago, kind of stuff that's been replaced too quick and that gathered dust ever since...

so consider both sides ot the medal: honor? or infnite shame? heheheeeee blink.gif

have a nice day all!

--------------------
you wish!!!!

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Fri 21 Mar 2008, 18:58
Post #5

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Group: Editors
Member No.: 2,758

I'm more of the school decent audio interface and "real" mic, save if the use is for non critical recording like podcast, most spoken word. For singing of instrument micing, it's still best to go the traditional road. Plus when you can add a decent mic pre, it's even better.

Now if it's just for fun and don't want to expand, upgrade later, it can be a solution.

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
FastEddy
post Thu 7 Aug 2008, 23:45
Post #6

Rookie

Member No.: 102,762

" ... curious to know if anyone knows anything about Blue's Snowball USB mic ..."

Serious? Professional? Forget about it. ....

Amateur and just planning a podcast? ... OK, but these USB connected microphones are all 16 bit conversions to digital = not professional quality ...

That said, I like 'em. And they are a great idea for a VoIP telephone mic or for just recording answering machine messages or YouTube sound tracks ...

--------------------

+Quote Post
djgear
post Mon 9 Aug 2010, 11:40
Post #7

Member No.: 114,857

You can get all this from Musical instrument online store

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Mon 9 Aug 2010, 14:05
Post #8

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Group: Editors
Member No.: 2,758

The blue snowball is crap (at best to use for podcast or the like certainly not for serious recording) forget it.

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Fri 29 Mar 2024, 00:29
- © 440 Forums 2011