MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest
7 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Best Multi-Track Recording Software For Newbies, Simple, effective, inexpensive, for OS X
Which would be your choice for the best multi-track recording program for the beginning home studio user?
Which would be your choice for the best multi-track recording program for the beginning home studio user?
Jasmine OS X 1.7.4 [ 1 ] ** [2.50%]
Metro 6 SE [ 13 ] ** [32.50%]
Intuem 2.1 [ 3 ] ** [7.50%]
Tracktion 1.5 [ 23 ] ** [57.50%]
Total Votes: 138
Guests cannot vote 
sethjacquay
post Thu 8 Jul 2004, 15:17
Post #31

Group: Members
Member No.: 35,039

Yeah, why isn't Garageband on the list?

The Price/Features/Learning Curve really make
Garageband an excellent DAW/Sequencer to start
off with.

Just think for $50 you get:

1. Easy to use interface
2. Audio Unit Support
3. Super Easy Loop Editing
4. Live input channels
5. A decent list of software instruments and effects.

Tried simultaneous multi-track recording in Garageband...
Maybe that is why...

This post has been edited by sethjacquay: Thu 8 Jul 2004, 15:18

--------------------
Ableton Live 4.1
Reason 3
Mac OS 10.3.8
G5 Dual 1.8 Ghz 2 GB RAM 160 HD
EzQuest 120 GB 7200 Firewire HD
EzQuest 200 GB 7200 Firewire HD - Pro Audio
M-Audio Firewire 410 (driver 1.4.3)
Behringer B1 Microphone (2x)
Behringer HPS3000 Headphones
Yamaha DX-11 going through a MidiMate XP (Midi to USB adapter)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dadoo
post Thu 8 Jul 2004, 16:39
Post #32

Member No.: 32,387

Hey Seth. Thanks for the input. The reason Garageband is not in this survey was because I started this survey and my iMac 600 MHz is the bare minimum requirements to run Garageband, and even then I cannot run anything beyond the basic program without moving up to a G4. Also, the requirements for Garageband say that you have to have a DVD ROM to be able to install it. I only have a CD burner. So I'm hooped either way!

Otherwise, Garageband appears to be a fantastic program for a person's introduction to the world of digital music recording. I know people who use it and are happy with what they have been able to do.

The purpose of this survey was to help me get an idea from others who have used these multi-track programs (that will install and run on my machine) as to which would be the best to get me started. I have downloaded Tracktion and Intuem and looked at Jasmine and Metro. Jasmine seems too basic for going much further with multi-track recording. Metro SE seems to have a steep learning curve with many menus and submenus and multiple windows, etc. The demo of Intuem just kept crashing my machine and so I ditched it. Tracktion was quite easy to pick up on and the demo has worked very well for me.

+Quote Post
shaneblyth
post Fri 16 Jul 2004, 09:42
Post #33

Member No.: 47,017

QUOTE (sethjacquay @ Jul 8 2004, 14:17)
Yeah, why isn't Garageband on the list?

The Price/Features/Learning Curve really make
Garageband an excellent DAW/Sequencer to start
off with.

The thing that puts me off Garage Band and correct me if I am wrong is that it can only play internal Mac Midi sounds .. you can connect your external MIDI keyboard to record from but GB will not play back the sounds on your external Keyboard and to me that sucks big time

+Quote Post
Dadoo
post Fri 16 Jul 2004, 19:08
Post #34

Thanks Shane. I'm not aware of whether or not Garageband can play back MIDI through an external player. Someone with experience with that will have to answer you.

+Quote Post
shaneblyth
post Fri 16 Jul 2004, 23:28
Post #35

Member No.: 47,017

QUOTE (Dadoo @ Jul 16 2004, 18:08)
Thanks Shane. I'm not aware of whether or not Garageband can play back MIDI through an external player. Someone with experience with that will have to answer you.

I know very little but I saw this written in 2 different places and one of them at least was the apple offical site so it is gotta be right cause i was just gonna buy a mac and use GB but without access to playing external midi sounds it sucks... you can plug an external keyboard in and play midi data in but it doesnt seem set up to go the other way which is kinda wierd.

+Quote Post
garzita
post Sat 31 Jul 2004, 08:59
Post #36

Member No.: 44,578

I have used Metro, Intuem and Traktion.

Intuem has the advantage as far as converting MIDI to Audio, unlimited Audio tracks and Freeze feature. But it has major problems managing AU instruments and Soundfonts. To change from one instrument to another you have to save your composition, close it, change the Preferences/Default MIDI settings and open your piece of work all over again. Limited Audio Editing capacity but you can Export and Import Audio Clips.

Traktion seemed very good at times and awfully frustrating at other times. The Help ballons are annoying but necessary ( I know I contradict myself) because it's an "all in one window" kind of program you don't know what all those buttons are for! Great VST instruments and effects management, great Audio Editing capacities but it just looks like a Videogame and you never get the feeling you are working with Art! If you are patient enough to learn all the tricks and do not mind the visual elements this is your choice!

Metro looks professional, feels profesional but it's a slow turtle compared to the previously mentioned programs. Limited Audio tracks. Good MIDI management. Clumsy interface and in a way it gets boring. The design is not very estimulating.

Audacity should have been on the list.... Not! lol

Heard good stuff about Cacophony, any word on that?

--------------------
[COLOR=orange]
But then a strange fear gripped me
and I just couldn't ask...

+Quote Post
Dadoo
post Sun 1 Aug 2004, 19:20
Post #37

Thanks for your reply garzita and your input. Your findings on Intuem and Tracktion are similar to mine. I have found Intuem to be buggy and slow. Tracktion is simply to use and has many features for the money. I don't mind the interface, and yes the balloon help is annoying (you can turn it off though!) but helpful as you learn it. It's nice to work all in one window for the modest things that I would like to do. Metro SE I have not downloaded, but would like to try it and confirm if it's for me or not.

Cacophony I have not used. Will check it out!

+Quote Post
Ambeintz
post Sat 2 Oct 2004, 23:10
Post #38

Member No.: 40,675

Dadoo,I use a G3 iBook 600Mhz,with 640 MB of ram..thats actually enough to run GarageBand.I use the software instruments too,and there seems to be no lagging,except when playing through songs with more than six midi tracks,when it sometimes stops playing.Its certainly not un-useable,except
the software instruments arent exactly quality.But hey....what can you expect from a £30 program.

This post has been edited by Ambeintz: Sat 2 Oct 2004, 23:13

+Quote Post
Dadoo
post Sat 2 Oct 2004, 23:39
Post #39

thanks for the information Ambeintz. I'm still fiddling around with Tracktion when I have time. It does pretty well. I've just done some simply stuff with guitars and bass. Easy to do with Tracktion. I'm sure Garageband is just as easy. Good to know that it may work for me!

+Quote Post
mibrilane
post Sun 20 Feb 2005, 05:58
Post #40

Member No.: 60,933

I was fortunate enough to catch the Tracktion free promo when they were running it and was able to get it for absolutely nothing. Version 1 is probably worth the $80 they're asking for it these days - excellent way to get one's feet wet.

iLife '05 with GarageBand 2 is worth getting as well - lots of fun loops and instruments to get you started, and the expansion Jam Packs are relatively cheap. It doesn't work with external instruments/MIDI very well, so if that's your goal Tracktion is probably a better investment.

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Thu 28 Mar 2024, 11:25
- © MacMusic 1997-2008