MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sound Module Question
macmonkey
post Fri 31 Oct 2003, 13:20
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,950

hi all...

a simple question, to which I don't know the answer!

I have a MIDI compatible electric piano (yamaha p200) and I was considering picking up a used sound module to give me access to more sounds. The piano has a built in amp and stereo speakers. If I connect an external sound module, will the sounds come through my piano's speakers or will I need another set of speakers and/or an amp connected to the module?

Also, if anyone has any advice on which used sound modules I should maybe look for (perhaps on ebay) I would be grateful.

thanks,
paul
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
kaboombahchuck
post Fri 31 Oct 2003, 13:54
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,003

In Short, no the sounds from the module will not come through the speakers of the piano... if all you do is make the midi connection. However, if the piano has a sound in port (CD player sound in, ect) you can connect the sound out of the sound module to the sound in of the amp in the piano. Otherwise you will need another amp and sleaker set.

As far as modules go, that would depend on what kind of sounds you are looking for. Everybody makes modules now a days. A good place to look would be sweetwater or musicians friend
Look around, see whats available, maybe start with a brand you like (Yamaha) do a search... find something you like, then look around ebay.

--------------------
kaboombahchuck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

+Quote Post
macmonkey
post Fri 31 Oct 2003, 14:27
Post #3

thanks for the reply kaboombahchuck (ever thought of a shorter pseudo?!).

So... generally speaking what kind of sound outs do modules have? The reason I ask is I'm wondering whether it's possible just to hook of the sound module up to a set of 'computer style' speakers -- you know the ones with a subwoofer and dedicated tweeters. Anyone?

If I use an external sound module in conjunction with a mac based sequencer, is it usually possible for the module to play various voices at the same time? I have somewhere an old Roland keyboard which wasn't multi-timbral -- I could hook it up to my computer (an amiga at the time!) but using a sequencer I could only have one voice playing. To change it i had to push buttons on the keyboard itself to choose another voice.

Big apologies for the rookie questions!

This post has been edited by macmonkey: Fri 31 Oct 2003, 14:27

+Quote Post
kaboombahchuck
post Fri 31 Oct 2003, 14:48
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,003

Once again the sounds will depend on the module.. For example my Alesis NanoSynth has just about every sound emaginable. My Yamaha VL-70 m has a more limited amount of sounds as it is more of a specialized module. Usually most modules are modled after a actual keyboard synth. So if you know of a synth that has all the sounds you want, you can probably find something simular in a module... for example the NanoSynth is basically the synth engine from an Alesis QS6. As far as hooking speakers up to a sound module... if the speakers are self powered, it should work. Like computer speakers that have a power supply.

Most external sound modules are multitimberal now a days. If I'm not mistaken the nanosynth is 64 voice multitimberal. Basically that means you can play a 64 note cord one instrument, 32 note cord 2 instruments, so on an so forth. I believe that 64 is the standard, but I've seen some as high as 92. The trick to getting the sequencer to play different instruments at the same time is to set each instrument to a different channel. Generally sequencers are limited to 16 chanels, so you can easily do a 16 instrument midi file, as long as you do not exceed the multitimberal number. 16 chanels times 4 note chord per chanel (instrument) equals 64 notes. If one of the chanels is only playing 1 note at a time, then other chanels can play more notes.

DOH! After rereading your post I ralized I did not really answer your question... Sound outs can vary from module to module. Some have RC outs (just like on your stereo, or CD player) others have 1/4" outs (the size of a large head phone jack) on these types the left out is used as the mono out. Then some will have a head phone (1/8") jack. This jack would come in handy for hooking up a pair (or complete set) of self powered computer type of speakers.

This post has been edited by kaboombahchuck: Fri 31 Oct 2003, 15:08

--------------------
kaboombahchuck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

+Quote Post
macmonkey
post Fri 31 Oct 2003, 16:13
Post #5

thanks again kaboo... etc.

I guessed that the choice of sound module would depend on what I want to do with it but I didn't want to complicate the question to the point that I got no replies! laugh.gif

Aside from playing the piano I also play guitar and I'd quite like to lay down some backing tracks (blues/jazz etc.) to accompany me. I figured the sound module would give me access to sounds that beat the internal GM MIDI sounds in my PowerBook (at least I hope so!). Also, I'd like to experiment with creating 'songs' of my own, so again I thought the extra sounds would come in handy as my P200 only has pianos, organs, and a couple of basses.

I've listened to some of the modules on the E-MU web site, and they're great -- but for a first foray into MIDI I was hoping to find something a bit cheaper on ebay. I know it won't be the most up-to-date gear but i would have thought there'd be something that will suit my initial needs.

I realise I haven't asked any questions in this post, but if anyone's got any comments I'd appreciate hearing them.

thanks again

+Quote Post
midilance
post Fri 31 Oct 2003, 23:23
Post #6

Member No.: 27,938

I believe that one of the best all around small, inexpensive midi modules is the Korg X5DR. It's been around forever, sounds really good and has 64 note polyphony. I typically use it for my first tracks when writing a song. Simple to use. They should be very affordable on eBay.

+Quote Post
macmonkey
post Tue 4 Nov 2003, 15:35
Post #7

thanks for the info.

for the record, my yamaha p200 digital piano does have a sound in -- so it turns out I could reroute a module through its amp and speakers. I tried plugging my fender strat in and it sounds pretty good. None of the piano's controllers (volume, fx, etc.) effect the sound of the external device but I think most sound modules have their own volume controls.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Wed 24 Apr 2024, 00:48
- © 440 Forums 2011