MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 1t Seagate As Boot Drive Or Audio Drive?, Drives for my 2.8 dual quad (January 08)
SadPandas
post Tue 31 Mar 2009, 04:36
Post #1

Rookie

Group: Members
Member No.: 66,616

Hello friends... So, after being a total ass and using my system drive to record audio on for the last couple of months i have decided to get the most out of my machine and my recording process. Here is what i was thinking (and PLEASE tell me what your PERSONAL experience has been with your congfig):

I wanted to purchase a 1Tb seagate drive and use as my audio drive and keep the 300+ system drive in tact while dropping a 500 gig drive in the 3rd slot for samples while keeping my itunes and pictures on an external (FW800). Recently a suggested i make the 1Tb drive my boot drive, the 500 gb drive for my audio, and my 300 + for samples and pictures of brian eno, wait... what?

I know there are tons of options (and threads) regarding this very subject but, today, how are your machines working with your personal set ups whatever they may be.

Thank you so much for reading this novella, it is much appreciated.

Love,
SadPandas

This post has been edited by SadPandas: Tue 31 Mar 2009, 04:37

--------------------
*2 x 2.8 Quad MacPro, 6Gb ram, 512vram, Logic 9
*2 x 2.0 G5, Everything else.... These lists bum everyone out... ;(
*Power Book 1.67, 2Gb ram, 128vram, 100hd, PodXtPro, Firebox, Logic 8, Live 7."
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
houstonmusic
post Tue 31 Mar 2009, 17:13
Post #2

Member No.: 88,124

I'm running a system that's very similar to what you propose initially.
i've got a large external drive for projects, two internal drives, one for BOOT and one for samples.
i also have a smaller firewire powered drive that i use for transfers and travel with my laptop. comes in handy.
this has been working like a charm for me.
i'm running DP6, Kontact 3, Reason, etc. from an 8 core intel machine. use it everyday in an intensive composing/producing environment. solid.

+Quote Post
SadPandas
post Mon 6 Apr 2009, 09:09
Post #3

Rookie

QUOTE (houstonmusic @ Tue 31 Mar 2009, 16:13) *
i've got a large external drive for projects, two internal drives, one for BOOT and one for samples.
i also have a smaller firewire powered drive that i use for transfers and travel with my laptop. comes in handy.
i'm running DP6, Kontact 3, Reason, etc. from an 8 core intel machine. use it everyday in an intensive composing/producing environment. solid.

Hmm that is interesting. Using your external for your project folders smile.gif. I like that as you can bring them with you and your laptop or just the drive when collaborating. Interesting for sure. If you copy all of the samples to the project folder there wouldn't really be any reason to need to bring your sample library either... i guess that is if the other machine or friend has those samples as well. Okay, so i think i will use the 1TB for the boot, a 500 for the logic project folders and the original drive for samples. Use my 2 external drives (800GB for back up and the 500 for iTunes and photos). I also have a smaller firewire (800/400/usb2.0) for 'on the go'.

Now, if i could just find an easy way of making my new 1TB drive the boot drive without having to reinstall leopard and all of the programs that i have on my original drive. I am guessing a clean install wouldn't hurt on a brand new drive and then installing each of the programs i use as well. That should be an interesting and LONG evening. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. I am using Logic studio, Cubase LE (for older projects i haven't brought over or tried to re create), Battery (not using as much now that i am figuring more and more out about ultrabeat) as well as Absynth but again, i am using pretty much everything logic has in box and finding interesting ways of making presets 'un preset like'. Ok, thanks for letting me know how your rig is set up. I might as well finally purchase more ram now since the price went down again and stop toying around with the 2gb stock that came with this wonderfully over powered machine.

Thanks!
P

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jim Hoyland
post Tue 7 Apr 2009, 07:45
Post #4

Member No.: 81,499

You should be able to speed the process up by using the Migration Assistant to transfer your applications and settings from your original System disc to your new one.

--------------------
www.myspace.com/commercialmusicstudios

+Quote Post
SadPandas
post Tue 7 Apr 2009, 10:01
Post #5

Rookie

QUOTE (Jim Hoyland @ Tue 7 Apr 2009, 07:45) *
You should be able to speed the process up by using the Migration Assistant to transfer your applications and settings from your original System disc to your new one.

I was wondering if that would work but thought the system disc would only work on the stock drive for some reason.

The drive is still $97.00 and think right now I should get the drive and purchse the memory next. Trying to move away from the firebox and into the motu pcie hd I/o. The firebox seems to be losing signal intermitently. Same "work around" as other folks have noted.

--------------------

+Quote Post
minskybabs
post Tue 7 Apr 2009, 10:46
Post #6

Rookie

Member No.: 16,643

You could also use something like carbon copy cloner (CCC) to create a bootable copy of your existing system drive onto the new one. Have done this before and it worked but the most recent one I tried had a couple of niggles with fonts am going to try again but zeroing the new drive first. If you use CCC then you can just set it to go and leave it, no need to sit there through loads of install disks!

Migration assistant is a good option too.

Cheers Minskybabs.

+Quote Post
emgcarra
post Tue 7 Apr 2009, 16:05
Post #7

Member No.: 65,694

QUOTE (SadPandas @ Mon 6 Apr 2009, 09:09) *
QUOTE (houstonmusic @ Tue 31 Mar 2009, 16:13) *

Hmm that is interesting. Using your external for your project folders smile.gif. I like that as you can bring them with you and your laptop or just the drive when collaborating. Interesting for sure. If you copy all of the samples to the project folder there wouldn't really be any reason to need to bring your sample library either... i guess that is if the other machine or friend has those samples as well. Okay, so i think i will use the 1TB for the boot, a 500 for the logic project folders and the original drive for samples. Use my 2 external drives (800GB for back up and the 500 for iTunes and photos). I also have a smaller firewire (800/400/usb2.0) for 'on the go'.

Now, if i could just find an easy way of making my new 1TB drive the boot drive without having to reinstall leopard and all of the programs that i have on my original drive. I am guessing a clean install wouldn't hurt on a brand new drive and then installing each of the programs i use as well. That should be an interesting and LONG evening. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. I am using Logic studio, Cubase LE (for older projects i haven't brought over or tried to re create), Battery (not using as much now that i am figuring more and more out about ultrabeat) as well as Absynth but again, i am using pretty much everything logic has in box and finding interesting ways of making presets 'un preset like'. Ok, thanks for letting me know how your rig is set up. I might as well finally purchase more ram now since the price went down again and stop toying around with the 2gb stock that came with this wonderfully over powered machine.

Thanks!
P

Well....That sounds wonderful...!! Could you spare some knowledge here for the rest of us....??
I mean, How can I deal with two internal HD and put samplers on one of them and boot with the other one ?.....In Logic that could be dangerous...
Thanks in advance. huh.gif

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Tue 7 Apr 2009, 21:55
Post #8

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Group: Editors
Member No.: 2,758

You need to have (usually. You can do otherwise but don't try this at home) the system and the apps on the same drive.

Now all sound/sample banks can (and should) be on another drive. Ways to move/install the banks elsewhere differ depending on the software. Depending on your use of them, they can be on the system or the project drive or on their own.

And all projects MUST be on a different drive than the system drive. (you can, but the wall is near, lurking)

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
ckb
post Wed 8 Apr 2009, 03:12
Post #9

Member No.: 105,571

Now, if i could just find an easy way of making my new 1TB drive the boot drive without having to reinstall leopard and all of the programs that i have on my original drive.

Try the Migration Assistant utility that comes with OS X. I've used it for moving from an old Mac to a new Mac several times. Another option is to use Time Machine to back up the original drive and then (I'm pretty sure) you can tell Migration Assistant to do a full "restore" (in quotes because, you know, it's not really a restore in this case) to the new drive from the Time Machine backup.

Sorry I'm fuzzy on the details; it's been a year since I swapped my MacBook's factory internal drive out for a 200GB....

+Quote Post
bradondc
post Wed 8 Apr 2009, 08:45
Post #10

Member No.: 83,260

I recently changed the hd in my macbook, after a clean install of OSX I then just retored it from my time machine, it was pretty effortless, until I had to then scramble to find my boxes for logic and upgrades so I could re-auth them.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Fri 29 Mar 2024, 10:19
- © 440 Forums 2011