MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mac G5-is This A Good Time To Buy New?, Is Apple coming out with new g5 soon?
mixfisto
post Sat 7 Jan 2006, 00:46
Post #1

Rookie

Group: Members
Member No.: 72,118

I'm about to buy a new dual 2.0 g5. Is this a good time (as any) to buy one or does anyone know anything about any new models coming out soon that might have me wait a few weeks/months? (I must buy one within the next 3 months). Also, what might you guys recommend, a new dual 2.0 or the 2nd to last dual 2.3...(haven't quite mastered all the new mac terminology).
Thanks
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mojave Mark
post Sat 7 Jan 2006, 01:36
Post #2

Member No.: 74,867

If you hold out till later this year the Mac-Intel Macintoshes will be available. You would be "future-proofed" for several years. I have a dual 2.3 G5 and love it but if I were in the market now I think that I would wait a bit.

+Quote Post
mixfisto
post Sat 7 Jan 2006, 01:58
Post #3

Rookie

I know that mac will go to the intel chips soon(especially for powerbooks, etc), but i don't think they will be introduced into the g5's (g6?) for at least a year. Is this right or can someone shed some light on this subject???

+Quote Post
deaconblue
post Sat 7 Jan 2006, 07:29
Post #4

Member No.: 11,156

mixfisto,

I think the quote from last year's announcement was that there would be new macs with intel chips starting the summer of '06 but the transition to full intel implementation was going to take a while. Motorola just renewed their contract to supply chips through 2008. So, some will most likely start showing up in 6 months or so...

But who knows. MacWorld is next week. Wait until after those announcements regardless. Always a safe bet. As safe as anything with Mr. Jobs at the helm. He could push the timeline up a bit if the machines are ready to go now. We'll just have to wait and see.

peace,
deacon

--------------------
...as you dream you shall become.
boxed art media
Musicians' Access
M.A.W.R web radio

+Quote Post
mixfisto
post Sat 14 Jan 2006, 03:21
Post #5

Rookie

OK, now that Mr. Jobs has said that all Macs will go Intel by the end of the year, will it be worth waiting to buy? What will the "bang for the buck" be like? And how much faster will they really be. I'm running audio software (Protools LE) to edit and mix with. Basicaly, should I buy now and roll with the punches or hang around hoping for a better "deal"?

This post has been edited by mixfisto: Sat 14 Jan 2006, 03:22

+Quote Post
fastlanephil
post Sat 14 Jan 2006, 05:55
Post #6

Member No.: 10,225

There is an advantage buying a G5 based Mac VS a new Intel based mac in that you won't have to worry about software compatibility. If you wait for a "Tower" Intel based Mac there is a good chance that your third party software will be updated for it before or soon after but there is the chance that some of your software won't either work or run slower using Rosetta. I have an iMac G5 and I don't plan on going to an Intel Mac for at least a year but I have no motivation to besides the obvious speed increase and monitor options.

+Quote Post
beyaRecords
post Sat 14 Jan 2006, 10:09
Post #7

Member No.: 20,901

In the recent MacWorld, which you can view at the apple website, Steve Jobs said that the entire apple range will be transitioned over to the intel platform by the end of 2006! If I were you, I would wait!!!

I almost bought a Quad G5 in Dec 2005 but i'm glad I didn't now, and if the new MacBook Pro is anything to do by, Dual Core laptop!!, the powerMac range will be awesome when the arrive.

Beya

+Quote Post
mortalengines
post Sat 14 Jan 2006, 22:16
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 65,373

Ah... the wonderful world of computing. If you need a computer now just go ahead & buy it. Sure it will be obsolete in a year but so will the next big thing. If you don't really need a computer (that is, the apps you use seem to run smoothly & you are actually getting work done in a timely fashon) stay with what you got for a while. I have a G4 laptop & yes I drool over the G5s but I don't really need one right now & don't expect to go shopping for one for a year at least.

+Quote Post
deaconblue
post Sat 14 Jan 2006, 22:33
Post #9

Member No.: 11,156

I think mortalengines has it nailed. Or at least 98% of it. tongue.gif

Computers are obsolete the day they are on the store shelves. The next version is already in development with the short life cycle of today's tech market place. The questions that mortal brings up are the perfect ones to ask. Does what you have now meet your needs? Are you looking for a new computer because you don't have one? Or are you looking for one because you have an aging computer that is not meeting your current needs? I run a 2 year on G5 2.0GhzDP and I have yet to use all of that horsepower. However, I don't run a lot of software instruments simultaneously. But with enough RAM and fast enough hard drives, a current quad G5 should meet the needs of even the most intense studio. The DP should be more than adequate for a home recordist' studio.

If you can limp along or your set up is simply getting you by right now, and you have no pressing project that requires the hardware upgrade, then hang tight until the MacMac Pro (usign the new MacBook Pro naming convention) comes out. If you need a machine now, then grab a G5 that fits your needs and stock it with RAM to keep you going through any session you can see yourself engaging in. But, don't let yourself going into buyer's remorse frenzy if SJ ups the timeline and a new Intel tower ships this year.

Bottom line is don't get hamstrung on the technology. Focus on the creativity. The hardware is only a means to an end.

best of luck!

peace,
deacon
(required disclaimer: All opinions expressed are MHO and may be totally full of hot air.)

--------------------
...as you dream you shall become.
boxed art media
Musicians' Access
M.A.W.R web radio

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Sun 15 Jan 2006, 03:20
Post #10

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Group: Editors
Member No.: 2,758

Steve was clear at the keynote, all Apple computers will be on intel by december 06, that is sooner than thought before (2007).

On the should I buy or not? Well, as usual if you need a computer now that can do it's work now, it's now. If you can wait a little (especially if you're short on cash) wait a little there will be new hardware (for the adventurous) and old models for cheaper. G5s are good stuff, they will works flawlessly in a pro environment 2-3 years. We'll have the software for G5 til then.

On the macintel themselves we still need the apps (the one we are most interested in) so you can wait a little wink.gif Ecpecially to wait and se if all is clear and Apple/intel did their job with full marks. cool.gif

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Welcome Guest
Contribute
Lo-Fi Version - Fri 4 Oct 2024, 15:39
- © PcMusic 1997-2007