MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> G4 Stopped Printing With Epson, G4 & printers
Bloot
post Wed 28 Feb 2007, 13:08
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 42,756

We have a G4 with OSX connected to an Epson CX6200.
Of recent the G4 shows a blank panel and doesn't SEE the Epson in it's print menus - and yet if we tell the G4 to scan something, the 6200 responds, and then will print the scanned item.
Using the printer utility, the G4 sees the printer, but still won't transfer that over to the ordinary print menus.
Two options we thought might influence it were that one of the ink carts needs replacing (but that shouldn't stop the [process??), and also that we have an unpowered USB2 splitter which shares the available USB between the printer and the keyboard/mouse combo (it worked when originally set up).
Any ideas?
TIA Fred
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mr12AX7
post Thu 1 Mar 2007, 12:05
Post #2

Member No.: 68,266

QUOTE (Bloot @ Wed 28 Feb 2007, 12:08) *
Of recent the G4 shows a blank panel and doesn't SEE the Epson in it's print menus - and yet if we tell the G4 to scan something, the 6200 responds, and then will print the scanned item.
Using the printer utility, the G4 sees the printer, but still won't transfer that over to the ordinary print menus.
Two options we thought might influence it were that one of the ink carts needs replacing (but that shouldn't stop the [process??), and also that we have an unpowered USB2 splitter which shares the available USB between the printer and the keyboard/mouse combo (it worked when originally set up).
Any ideas?
TIA Fred

I would connect the Epson directly to the G4's built-in USB port and see if the problem disappears. Many epson printers/all-in-ones do not like to be on any hub especially unpowered. If you have recently added another device to the hub that may be causing the erratic behavior. If connecting directly does not cure the problem verify and repair permissions. You may need to re-install the Epson software if the problem remains.
Mr12AU7

+Quote Post
Bloot
post Fri 2 Mar 2007, 02:28
Post #3

QUOTE (Mr12AX7 @ Thu 1 Mar 2007, 11:05) *
QUOTE (Bloot @ Wed 28 Feb 2007, 12:08) *

Any ideas?
TIA Fred

I would connect the Epson directly to the G4's built-in USB port and see if the problem disappears. Many epson printers/all-in-ones do not like to be on any hub especially unpowered. If you have recently added another device to the hub that may be causing the erratic behavior. If connecting directly does not cure the problem verify and repair permissions. You may need to re-install the Epson software if the problem remains.
Mr12AU7

The only trouble is that the G4 only has 2 usb's and we need one to be dedicated to the wireless adapter for the internet - since someone else set up the internet settings I'm a bit loath to take it out, in order to try the printer through it (!) However the hub does have provision for a 5 volt supply (not supplied) and perhaps purchasing and attaching one may bring the printer back?
Thank you for your reply and suggestions, I will try these when I next visit the machine, and let you know of any results.
Fred

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Fri 2 Mar 2007, 03:21
Post #4

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Group: Editors
Member No.: 2,758

You should really try without the hub to see if it's the cause. nevermind the 15 minutes it'll break your local wireless network, if it works like a charm without the hub, then you're fixed.

Next move if the hub seem in cause, is to adjoin a power supply, ask around you, you don't know how much of these are lying around unused. check the proper polarities, same voltage, amps can be a little higher in case (if you find the right one exactly, don't look elsewhere). Try again the printer thru the powered hub and if it's working then you know. If not it's really either the hub itself or something fishy in the software.

Now, If trying without the hub doesn't change a thing, it's time for some maintenance on the G4:
- check with different USB cables first. Just in case, it sound always silly but…
- repair permissions (Apple disk utility)
- clear caches (use OnyX)
- Reset PRAM and NVRAM
- Reset the motherboard (hence the USB ports) It's either here (AGP/gigabyte ethernet) or there (PCI graphics), depending of your G4. Note, press the button only ONCE, no more.
- If you have a voltmeter, check if the lithium battery is still within 0,2V of the mandatory 3,6V (mesure while the battery is in place not outside its place). If it's not, change it (electronics shop, radiospares, tandy and the like should have the thing, at a normal price)

And keep us udpated

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
Bloot
post Fri 2 Mar 2007, 05:04
Post #5

QUOTE (lepetitmartien @ Fri 2 Mar 2007, 02:21) *
You should really try without the hub to see if it's the cause. nevermind the 15 minutes it'll break your local wireless network, if it works like a charm without the hub, then you're fixed.

Next move if the hub seem in cause, is to adjoin a power supply, ask around you, you don't know how much of these are lying around unused. check the proper polarities, same voltage, amps can be a little higher in case (if you find the right one exactly, don't look elsewhere). Try again the printer thru the powered hub and if it's working then you know. If not it's really either the hub itself or something fishy in the software.

Now, If trying without the hub doesn't change a thing, it's time for some maintenance on the G4:
- check with different USB cables first. Just in case, it sound always silly but…
- repair permissions (Apple disk utility)
- clear caches (use OnyX)
- Reset PRAM and NVRAM
- Reset the motherboard (hence the USB ports) It's either here (AGP/gigabyte ethernet) or there (PCI graphics), depending of your G4. Note, press the button only ONCE, no more.
- If you have a voltmeter, check if the lithium battery is still within 0,2V of the mandatory 3,6V (mesure while the battery is in place not outside its place). If it's not, change it (electronics shop, radiospares, tandy and the like should have the thing, at a normal price)

And keep us udpated

Many thanks for all these directions Lepetitmartien - I'm gathering quite a file here! and I'll report back when I've been back to the machine.
Fred

+Quote Post
Bloot
post Mon 26 Mar 2007, 00:44
Post #6

Just to update....I found I was in way too deep waters, and we called a local Mac tech - he tested out the printer and said it was OK, so he's taken the G4 for further investigation. Will try and let you know the result of that when we get there..... unsure.gif
Fred

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Mon 26 Mar 2007, 02:54
Post #7

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Group: Editors
Member No.: 2,758

"fine" (uh) On my side, as my old Epson is not OS X savvy nor G5 savvy (save with third party tricks costing $$$) I've just bought a Samsung color laser USB and Ethernet the CLP-300N. I've still to make some place for it (and get rid of the 1520).

On my own, I've decided I have had enough of Epson and their drivers (or lack of)…

For you I hope anyway it's not something bad with the mac itself sad.gif

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Fri 29 Mar 2024, 15:47
- © MacMusic 1997-2008