MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Firewire 800/400 Problems
djrucksack
post Sat 8 Apr 2006, 17:11
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 78,981

Hi there.

I've got problems trying to make my firewire devices function to their full capablility.

I have a OWC Mercury Elite Pro Al 250Gb Triple interface external hard disk (what a mouthful!) connected to my powerbook G4 1.5Ghz via a firewire 800 cable to the onboard firewire 800 slot, and it works fine, running at 800 Mb/s.

BUT, I've also got an M-Audio Projectmix which connects with a firewire 400 cable. I've just bought a PCMCIA firewire adapter so that the hard disk and the Projectmix can have their own separate bus, but when I plug the Projectmix in the speed of the Hard disk connection drops to 400Mb/s.

I can't understand why, when they're connected on different buses.

(The whole reason why I bought the PCMCIA Firewire card was to get around this problem!)

Please help!!

Thanks.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Sat 8 Apr 2006, 22:17
Post #2

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Group: Editors
Member No.: 2,758

First time I see this! blink.gif

Which PCMCIA card is it? OS X flavour?

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
djrucksack
post Sat 8 Apr 2006, 23:45
Post #3

The PCMCIA card doesn't have a manufacturer name on it! It's a Firewire/USB cardbus adaprer and it's compatible with OS X and it has drivers for OS X.

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Sun 9 Apr 2006, 02:51
Post #4

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Where does it come from? blink.gif

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
djrucksack
post Sun 9 Apr 2006, 10:11
Post #5

It's this one:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

I bought it off ebay from a seller called usb4sale. I have e-mailed the seller to see if there's any tech support for this card, but he hasn't replied yet.

+Quote Post
lancet
post Sun 9 Apr 2006, 14:29
Post #6

Member No.: 46,480

check in system profiler to see if there is any more specific information on the card, then try to google that and see what you come up with

--------------------

+Quote Post
djrucksack
post Sun 9 Apr 2006, 14:43
Post #7

There's no information about the card in system profiler. It just says:

FireWire Bus:

Maximum Speed: Up to 400 Mb/sec

I've just noticed that in the top window of the profiler in the firewire tab, the firewire card's FireWire Bus sits above the Built-in FireWire bus. Does this mean it's higher in priority? Is there any way to change them around?

Just inserting the card makes the speed of the built-in bus drop to 400Mb/s regardless of whether any firewire devices are plugged into it.

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Sun 9 Apr 2006, 15:27
Post #8

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

I'm not sure at all if the order in the profiler is relevant as for a priority order… I doubt it.

If inserting the card only makes the speed dive down low to crawl, I think you have a suspect wink.gif It's stupid it's so difficult to know exactly what is inside it as it's not this way we'll know if it can be firmware upgraded… sad.gif

There must be some Terminal commands to list peripherals but it's beyond my humble knowledge… huh.gif

On the tricks side there may be some things to try like find which PCMCIA card has the same black plastic part and see if it has updaters and try them but it trial/error/eventually destruction… unsure.gif Now we are sure of one thing, it interferes in a way it shouldn't, so it is not fully compatible with your laptop/OS. angry.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Thu 28 Mar 2024, 10:40
- © MacMusic 1997-2008