MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Preamps - Pandoras Box, Looking for a good vocal strip
Fluddman
post Mon 3 Feb 2003, 09:17
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,440

My mission is to buy the best preamp (preferably with compression) for vocal recording that I can for under $2000 Australian dollars (about a $1000 US dollars). I am looking for something that will be vastly superior to the pre's in my Mackie VLZ Pro (and they're pretty reasonable but lack warmth) and hopefully something with a few of those tube thingys that glow so nicely, or at least sound like they have'm.

The choice is daunting with many preamps featuring usefull additions such as compression, EQ and a de-esser. I am narrowing it down to a few that are worth a second look such as

SPL Channel One
Focusrite Voicemaster Pro
TL Audio 5051
Drawmer TSI (Tubestation)

Of these only the TL Audio features more than one valve and the Focusrite I think is only tube emulation. All of these are really designed primarily for vocals but should be ok for accoustic instruments. They all offer the potential to take a card to provide digital out as well. And although I don't need this at the moment it is a very useful feature for the future.

If anybody has been using one of these babies I would really appreciate your thoughts. I am leaning toward the SPL Channel One or the 5051 (the 5051 is the big brother to the Fatman 2 and it sounds really good too) but would really appreciate getting feedback from an owner as a few minutes in the shop does not give the full picture (or sound either).

Other suggestion also greatfully received - I am really looking for 'killer' pre amp.

cheers
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Tue 4 Feb 2003, 05:15
Post #2

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Group: Editors
Member No.: 2,758

One item is missing the Mindprint Envoice that is worth looking too.

But I won't pick a winner on such difficult matter huh.gif

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
Synthetik
post Fri 7 Mar 2003, 11:44
Post #3

Member No.: 5,668

When I worked at a music store, we had the Presonus rep come in. Now at the store we only sold the Blue tube, but he showed me that M80. It's along the styling of the 8 ch. comp. You get 8 ch. of mic pres. and I must say they sound fantastic. If I remeber right the unit cost about $1200 US. I was told that the fatman was good for guitar but not for voice, but then again I have never played with one myself. biggrin.gif

--------------------
BING BING BLEEP ERRRRRRR[I]

+Quote Post
tobor
post Wed 16 Apr 2003, 19:40
Post #4

Member No.: 16,152

under 1000$?
mmm I guess 5051..
but remeber that real "killer" sound is very expensive.
I suggest to wait and save money, believe me it's the best thing you can do...

I have a Fairman TRC, tube channel strip with preamp, compressor (Fairchild-like) and 2 Pultec EQs..
I never heard something better! neither by NEVE tongue.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Tue 16 Apr 2024, 16:14
- © 440 Forums 2011