MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How To Use A Laptop As Another Computer Extended Desktop?, Macbook Pro Extended Desktop
LPR4VI
post Sun 16 Dec 2007, 12:39
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 89,659

I'm getting a macbook pro (leopard) and want to use my 3 yr old ibook g4 as an extended desktop (dual display). Is anyone having success with this, and if so, what cord/adapter are you using? huh.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
qusp74
post Tue 18 Dec 2007, 10:40
Post #2

Member No.: 92,865

QUOTE (thecoddled egg @ Sun 16 Dec 2007, 21:39) *
I'm getting a macbook pro (leopard) and want to use my 3 yr old ibook g4 as an extended desktop (dual display). Is anyone having success with this, and if so, what cord/adapter are you using? huh.gif

Hi there,

As far as I know the mac laptops (or PC's for that matter) dont have any way of getting graphics INto the system. This makes what you are trying to do an impossibility as far as I am aware, unless there is some way of networking the machines and sharing desktops that way wink.gif (unlikely), I know it seems a waste to let go of your precious mac, trust me I know. But you will probably be better served to sell it sad.gif and utilize the $ gained to buy yourself a desktop monitor which will no doubt be much bigger and more colour accurate than the aging G4's screen. Hope I was able to help.

Jeremy

--------------------
Jeremy Glover graphic designer and compositor extraordinair but a relative novice at audio
Mac G5 1.8DP 4gig ram .. RME Hammerfall DSP 9632 .. Behringer ADA8000 adat interface
• KRK ROKIT 6 and RP10S•Micro korg Synth/vocoder with RODE NT2-A
Logic pro 7 NI kontakt, battery FM8, Altiverb Arturia Moog modular minimoog arp2600.

+Quote Post
makaala
post Wed 19 Dec 2007, 06:21
Post #3

Rookie

Member No.: 68,847

Actually, there is a nifty bit of software called screenrecycler. http://www.screenrecycler.com/home.html This works and I used my aging G4 with its monitor right next to my dual display G5 to get a third screen. Free trial and very clean implementation. Good luck.

+Quote Post
qusp74
post Wed 19 Dec 2007, 07:15
Post #4

QUOTE (makaala @ Wed 19 Dec 2007, 15:21) *
Actually, there is a nifty bit of software called screenrecycler. http://www.screenrecycler.com/home.html This works and I used my aging G4 with its monitor right next to my dual display G5 to get a third screen. Free trial and very clean implementation. Good luck.

I stand corrected... cant imagine the graphics performance is tg

--------------------
Jeremy Glover graphic designer and compositor extraordinair but a relative novice at audio
Mac G5 1.8DP 4gig ram .. RME Hammerfall DSP 9632 .. Behringer ADA8000 adat interface
Logic pro 7 NI kontakt, battery FM8, Altiverb Arturia Moog modular minimoog arp2600.

+Quote Post
LPR4VI
post Thu 20 Dec 2007, 16:10
Post #5

Member No.: 89,659

QUOTE (qusp74 @ Wed 19 Dec 2007, 07:15) *
QUOTE (makaala @ Wed 19 Dec 2007, 15:21) *

I stand corrected... cant imagine the graphics performance is tg

I thank you both for your replies! I will check out the screen recycler.

+Quote Post
makaala
post Fri 21 Dec 2007, 06:53
Post #6

Rookie

This brings an interesting topic to the forum. My G5 is great but was always fond of my G4 clunky 350 mhz PCI graphics(dreadful) tower. I used it with Protools LE and discovered it was underpowered and maxed out my track capabilities early on. It was a typical bait and switch when they came out. Advertised as a 400 mhz model but then released and downgraded to 350 mhz model. (I believe it was actually a G3). In any event, I revived it recently and it serves our family as another email/web accessable computer in our music room.
It is handy when the G5 goes bad crazy and I have to search the internet for clues to fix it. I think instead of getting the next new thing, reviving our older computers should be part of our strategy for economy. I bought a matching monitor recently for 25 euros and it's a classic look. I think CRT's have something flat screens don't have.... some retro thing. So... enjoy squeezing the last bit out of your laptop. One of the definitions of excellence I like is "meeting specifications at lowest cost". I'd like to hear how other forum users use your older generation machines?
cheers.
Mak

+Quote Post
qusp74
post Sat 22 Dec 2007, 14:42
Post #7

QUOTE (makaala @ Fri 21 Dec 2007, 15:53) *
This brings an interesting topic to the forum. My G5 is great but was always fond of my G4 clunky 350 mhz PCI graphics(dreadful) tower. I used it with Protools LE and discovered it was underpowered and maxed out my track capabilities early on. It was a typical bait and switch when they came out. Advertised as a 400 mhz model but then released and downgraded to 350 mhz model. (I believe it was actually a G3). In any event, I revived it recently and it serves our family as another email/web accessable computer in our music room.
It is handy when the G5 goes bad crazy and I have to search the internet for clues to fix it. I think instead of getting the next new thing, reviving our older computers should be part of our strategy for economy. I bought a matching monitor recently for 25 euros and it's a classic look. I think CRT's have something flat screens don't have.... some retro thing. So... enjoy squeezing the last bit out of your laptop. One of the definitions of excellence I like is "meeting specifications at lowest cost". I'd like to hear how other forum users use your older generation machines?
cheers.
Mak

I'm using mine as a glorified jukebox, i've got an M-Audio Delta 66 hooked up to my old g4 in the living room. I couldn't install the delta in my G5 because of PCI bus issues, so when I got it; and a new RME 9632 for my studio the G4 was relegated to the living room where it is hooked up to the Home entertainment system that has the added bonus of being able to go online and order pizza when the boys get peckish. I wont go on because i'm going a bit off topic, suffice to say...for sure.... get all you can out of your old MAC but if dollars are tight and you are chasing a rainbow.... cut your losses before you waste too much time trying to save money... you know how the old adage goes 'TIME IS ...$..'. Weigh up your options and look before you leap. Just don't forget to leap. wink.gif

jeremy

This post has been edited by qusp74: Sat 22 Dec 2007, 14:44

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mac Daddy
post Sat 22 Dec 2007, 16:43
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 76,633

Dear Members... Just in case you don't know about this Link: http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/Logic206 .

I enjoy them. I don't like to read, (Other than the Posts in 440... I don't like to read Manuals) I'd rather watch it... I don't use MIDI much but I have learned heaps by watching the Videos... Great for Beginners and Experienced Users.

The Forum has attracted some very interesting Members and as always I enjoy reading the Posts, Suggestions, Solutions offered by the "Regular's"... You know who you are...

Create, Practice, Evolve, Have Fun...

http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/Logic206

+Quote Post
mortalengines
post Sun 23 Dec 2007, 02:28
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 65,373

This makes me appreciate my situation.....I am on an old G4 Powerbook (1.5ghz & 1 Gig RAM). It's getting a little long in the tooth but I am deathly afraid of upgrading. It works, and I am a musician, not a programmer. It also cost quite a bit of cash back in the day and I don't see the point of upgrading for a while.

+Quote Post
makaala
post Sun 23 Dec 2007, 08:58
Post #10

Rookie

Mortalengines,
I just read a story of a group of people who signed a pact to not purchase anything for a year. They were so enthusiastic, some will continue for another year. Regarding gear, (and I suppose other possessions ) we tend to become seduced by the "new" or the promises of better, greater, more tracks and effects but frequently get issues of hardware incompatibility, expense of upgrading key software, learning curve as well as anxiety coupled with frustration.
example: just on the verge of upgrading to leopard on release ( bad idea ), I hesitated then found M-audio hadn't released a driver for the firewire 410. I decided not to upgrade for that reason and then got a call for a voiceover demo for a potentially lucrative client. If I had screwed up and installed, the interface wouldn't have worked the next day and I would have lost an opportunity.
They sell cars under the premise of bigger, better, sexier, etc. when all you are using it for is going to get groceries and or the pizza... consumerism will be looked upon one day as an odd pathology. Creating great music sometimes comes from using magnificent tools but I insist that the majority of good music comes from listening and using what you have. My bands drummer once insisted on coming to an acoustic practice in my living room. He brought his brushes and played along on a cardboard box. I was stunned it sounded so good..... he was incredible and taught me a lesson. Don't let gear stop your creative flow.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Thu 28 Mar 2024, 23:48
- © MacMusic 1997-2008