MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Stereo Vs. Mono Level
ingve
post Mon 15 Nov 2010, 00:19
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 115,906

When I playback a -16 dBFS tone from a mono channel panned center on my DAW, the stereo master volume level reads just below -16 dBFS. But when I pan the mono channel hard left ot right, the level for the master is the same. Now, when I bounce from stereo to mono, my DAW gives me he option to attenuate by 3.5 dB.
I'm aware of the difference between dBFS and dB, and level readings and gain readings, but I'm still a bit confused. What am I missing?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Mon 22 Nov 2010, 11:16
Post #2

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Group: Editors
Member No.: 2,758

I can't tell for dBFS but for the mono with eventual attenuation of -3.5 dB it's interesting.

When you sum up the L-R channels, you have a +6 dB in level increase, so to keep level constant you have to apply -6 db attenuation. It's a constant-voltage level law.

Now, when you listen to the speakers, the summing is acoustic not electric. The perceived level is only +3 db higher than it should, so to keep the loudness level equal acoustically it's only a -3 dB attenuation you have to apply, constant-power law. It's what the pan pot does in the middle. wink.gif

Now, you have either -3 or -6 dB so what? The compromise has been usually to have a -4.5 dB attenuation on analogue boards. But in DAW you can have multiple choice to suit the job and the peculiar use in the end., from -3 down to -6 with values on the way.

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
Berhu N°2
post Thu 2 Dec 2010, 08:21
Post #3

Maniac Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 92,619

Thx for both question and answer smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Thu 28 Mar 2024, 21:22
- © 440 Forums 2011