MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Pc Laptop Vs Powerbook For Musicians, switching from PC to G4 powerbook
ugaanwalker
post Sat 23 Apr 2005, 21:56
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 64,636

hi,

I've been using PC since the times of D.O.S. which forced me to learn the basics of programming to acheive stable and power performance of subsequent windows systems.

Right now I use presario RS300 2.8Ghz, I mix on Logic 5.5 and perform live with Ableton. I can use about 25 plugins in Logic, a couple of additional VSTs on 30 stereo audio tracks and I'm really happy with the power the PC offers me. That however, is bought by hours of system configuring and occasionally recovering important work after system crash in the middle of a creative keep-it-going night session.

The new versions of Logic on Mac as well as my PLUG AND PRAY attitude towards XP whenever I go out on stage, made me consider buying a G4 1.5 Ghz powerbook in one month.

Would a G4 offer as much power as I have now?

I have many friends working on macs, they are usually happy with their machines although they aren't "power users".

Have any of you guys any experience on this?

Any comments greatly appreciated.

Regards
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jcmmusic
post Sun 24 Apr 2005, 17:28
Post #2

Member No.: 42,290

Well... I believe the in bottom line you'd be trading some plugin power for sturdy stability. I use a powerbook 1ghz as my only workhorse and I use logic 6.4 and Live, and even if I never counted the maximum # of plugins, it allows me to do pretty much whatever I need, but I don't think I could run 26 plugins without freezing (a function in Logic that bounces and debounces tracks at one click of the mouse and saves a lot of processing power). I used to be a pc guy 4 years ago, and I believe once you go mac you don't go back biggrin.gif . 1.5 Ghz is a considerable more powerful processor that the one I have, you should be able to get lots of juice out of it. Hope my opinion helps. best,

jx.-

+Quote Post
ugaanwalker
post Sun 24 Apr 2005, 21:35
Post #3

Member No.: 64,636

thanks for the comment,

I wasn't aware of the freeze trick as I work on earlier version of logic. Since I won't go back I need to know where I'm going smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Fri 19 Apr 2024, 14:41
- © MacMusic 1997-2008