MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> To Partition Or Not To Partition?, OSX 10.6 - partition?
ArchivalAudio
post Tue 27 Jul 2010, 06:39
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 27,749

haven't posted in a while, and finally I am getting an upgrade from my iBook G4 (10.4.11)
I think I'll be getting an iMac
I have always partitioned my drives about 2/3 for the OS and apps and 1/3 for files - or writing files to.
I like the benefit of having "two" drive mainly because it takes much lsee time to defrag a sammler drive

however I have heard that snow leopard does not benefit from partitioning or from defragging. (could that be true?)
I have always been fond of my "tool" programs to keep my system up and running at its best. Like TechTool , Drive Genius, Onyx, and of course applejack.

any thoughts on if there is a reason to partition or not?

thanx
--Ian
aka
ArchivalAudio

--------------------
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

Field and location recording iBook G4 1.2Ghz/ 1.2GB - MOTU UltraLite & Audiodesk | Fostex FR2-LE (currently stock)

Milab VM-44 Links | RODE NT5's | AT853a's C/SC | Naiant MSH-2's | other assorted mics
Mackie 1402Vlz | Fostex D-5 DAT
===============================
For sale make me an offer : PM me

Denecke AD-20 | Presonus FireBox

OLD School:
Mac Clone (PowerComputing PowerCenter Pro) G3 enabled 450mhz/512MB EgoSys waveterminal 2496 - Cubase VST 5.0 Peak,Jam etc! ;)
Fostex D-5 DAT
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Wed 28 Jul 2010, 14:43
Post #2

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Group: Editors
Member No.: 2,758

You can do that, but if you want to work with audio you'll get (way) better performance by putting all audio files on external drives.

On Snow Loepard, the system since I don"t remember the version defrag itself the drive of all files under 20 MB. Save if you fill the system drive of work heavily with files on this one you won't see much change. And as audio files (or projects) should be on different drive than the system disk anyway…

My tools of choice are OnyX, Applejack, Apple disk utility, the Terminal (for authorizations), and sometimes DiskWarrior for broken directories. OS X is rock solid IMHO. The main issue I encounter when I do maintenance/help friends are usually dead drives (far too common) or computers never switch off, with loads of old software in and "it's blocked, I switch off from the plug" attitude.

Have at least one external hard drive to work, and a decent archival policy (for system/apps/user account and files, it'll need another drive). You can use Time Machine, or a back up utility, or clone. I clone myself.

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
houstonmusic
post Wed 28 Jul 2010, 16:03
Post #3

Member No.: 88,124

I'll weigh in on this too. i used to use partitions all the time, and with leopard and snow leopard i've stopped. all my files are on external drives, however.
i'm getting very good performance, no issues at all.

+Quote Post
melenko
post Wed 28 Jul 2010, 20:04
Post #4

SuperHero

Member No.: 9,408

Partitions won't help you to get better performances.
On the contrary, the same HD has to deal with the OS/Apps/audio.
At the same time...

--------------------
MacPro dual 2.66 - 8 Go - SL10.6.6- DP 7.2.1 - RME FFCE 800 - URS, Sonnox, Stilwell, Nomad Factory, Kontakt 4.2.2, Trillian, Stylus, EZ drummer, SD2, UVIworkstation, Altiverb - KRK - JBL
Neve 8801 - Brauner - Roland A-37, etc.

+Quote Post
ArchivalAudio
post Thu 29 Jul 2010, 07:00
Post #5

Member No.: 27,749

QUOTE (lepetitmartien @ Wed 28 Jul 2010, 06:43) *
You can do that, but if you want to work with audio you'll get (way) better performance by putting all audio files on external drives.

On Snow Loepard, the system since I don"t remember the version defrag itself the drive of all files under 20 MB. Save if you fill the system drive of work heavily with files on this one you won't see much change. And as audio files (or projects) should be on different drive than the system disk anyway…

My tools of choice are OnyX, Applejack, Apple disk utility, the Terminal (for authorizations), and sometimes DiskWarrior for broken directories. OS X is rock solid IMHO. The main issue I encounter when I do maintenance/help friends are usually dead drives (far too common) or computers never switch off, with loads of old software in and "it's blocked, I switch off from the plug" attitude.

Have at least one external hard drive to work, and a decent archival policy (for system/apps/user account and files, it'll need another drive). You can use Time Machine, or a back up utility, or clone. I clone myself.

thank you for the replies
and yes I use those tools too!
over the years I have learned a lot here (specifically from you) than you so very much

--Ian
aka
ArchivalAudio

--------------------
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

Field and location recording iBook G4 1.2Ghz/ 1.2GB - MOTU UltraLite & Audiodesk | Fostex FR2-LE (currently stock)

Milab VM-44 Links | RODE NT5's | AT853a's C/SC | Naiant MSH-2's | other assorted mics
Mackie 1402Vlz | Fostex D-5 DAT
===============================
For sale make me an offer : PM me

Denecke AD-20 | Presonus FireBox

OLD School:
Mac Clone (PowerComputing PowerCenter Pro) G3 enabled 450mhz/512MB EgoSys waveterminal 2496 - Cubase VST 5.0 Peak,Jam etc! ;)
Fostex D-5 DAT

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Fri 30 Jul 2010, 00:09
Post #6

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Group: Editors
Member No.: 2,758

My pleasure archival smile.gif Thanks are the best thing here smile.gif

The only interest into partitioning for most users is to save some real estate on the oversized drives we have (note, you won't save that much estate now). But it won't do on the performance side if you're recording on the same drive, even on a different partition, save marginally.

The most important thing after this is back up!

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Sat 20 Apr 2024, 02:09
- © MacMusic 1997-2008