MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Categorisation Of Forums, Hardware is hardware
Presto
post Sat 2 Nov 2002, 19:59
Post #11

Maniac Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,984

Boll**ks! blink.gif

Its coming fast. If you don't hurry up, you'll just have to critisize an almost-ready extensive new proposal.

Still, wording can always be changed smile.gif

Come on, lads an' lasses smile.gif

--------------------
Without shit, we wouldn't be here ;)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
BusError
post Sun 3 Nov 2002, 10:31
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,795

I think the new names for the french forums are problematic; most people use their gear directly or indirectly wiht a computer, so where does one talk about what?

Imagine I have a MIDI+USB synth and a computer plugged into the same mixer.

Using the current sheme, I would be able to talk about the mixer in "os 9 / X" but not the synth, where I would have to go in "Hardware" ?

Why not have simple categories like
+ Software OS9 (thats cubase, vst etc)
+ Software OSX (CoreIdiot, login etc)
+ Hardware (EVERYTHING that has any piece of physical equipment, including their driver and their interraction with the OS)

So, in OS9 we'd have "Can't copy paste with Logic" and in hardware we'd have "Can't get my SpaceSynth III module work with OMS in Cubase". Then if that works maybe re-subcategorize Harware if the number of posts become to large

--------------------

+Quote Post
Presto
post Mon 4 Nov 2002, 16:47
Post #13

Maniac Member

Member No.: 3,984

Welcome BusError. Thanks. smile.gif

We can propose a new anglo starting point, and as you say with few forum titles, then add as the need or the inspiration appears.

For the moment, if I had a question on my Mbox, I would like to put it in hardware (not the right place). If I have a problem with PTLE I should like to put it in software but now that PT will soon be on both OS9 and OSX, I won't know where to put it.

--------------------
Without shit, we wouldn't be here ;)

+Quote Post
kaboombahchuck
post Tue 5 Nov 2002, 13:08
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,003

Well, I'm having a bit of trouble with what all the hubbub is about, bub.
Perhaps someone should post the recomended forum subcatagories, then hash it out from there. I have had no problems with the way things are, but there must be a problem, or else we would not be discussing it now. Generally when I've seen a forum generate more subcatagories, it was to prompt more postings. So perhaps a recording forum, a instrument forum, the 2 current OS forums, a newbie forum.... Of course then they could even be split up even more... recording hardware...theory...tecnical forum, guitar...midi...synth...acustic...vocal...music theory forum, OS 9..recording...oms...sequencing, same with X. List the forum changes and see what people think. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
kaboombahchuck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

+Quote Post
Francois Déchery
post Tue 5 Nov 2002, 14:35
Post #15

Webmaster
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 11

i agree with u kaboom, creating new forums also invite people to post more (that's one of the points)
Another point is to split existing general categories into more specific categories: the choice is not motivated by pure logic, because, as stated buserror, they would always be cases where gears interacts... but if we stay with this 'logic' point of view, we can't split the current 'messy' categories.

We (the moderator team and I) think about it a long time before reorganizing the french part of the forums, to get a balance between logic/new motivating forums and categories split (decided by number of post about specific subjects, not logic), and it seems to work, at least not that bad.

Here is the list (better descriptions would help a lot):

* beginners: all newbie questions, whatever they are (a place were moderator will move newbie recurrent questions)

* plug-ins and virtual instruments angry.gifa lot of posts are related to that) not OS specific

* All other softwares under OS 9

* All other softwares under OS X

* Interface/card audio+MIDI related problems: (a lot of posts are related to that) not platform specific, software related or not

* Mac Hardware and periphericals: CPU, RAM, Fans, power, Harddrive, CDR, etc...hardware only

* Synth, samplers, instruments and sounds: even if connected with software (if gear specific).

* Studio hardware: mixers, effects, compressor, monitors, headphones, wires....hardware only

* Theory and technical: mixing, recording, mastering, digital audio, surround, technology, harmony, etc...

* Developpment: (Busserror's forum) for developpers only

* OpenBar: for the rest

We know there will be cases were the posting choice could balance between two forums, but no system is perfect: at leat this sheme seems to work in most cases and splits things according to the current posts content.

Clear and precises titles and descriptions will certainly help to make this simpliest: May be you, the english-native members could help to write it clearer.

Sorry for my (uncorrected) english wink.gif

--------------------
Soif, MacMusic Webmaster

440Software, our new audio software directory

440Software, notre nouveau site sur les logiciels audio pour Mac, PC et iPhone/iPad

+Quote Post
kaboombahchuck
post Wed 6 Nov 2002, 00:10
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,003

Well, from what I can tell so far...looks pretty good to me. cool.gif
The language of it seems fine.
Seems like you folks are basicaly begging for english mods... I would not mind doing that, but my computer skills are very basic, and my spelling,,well.....sucks! So I'm not too shure I'd be the right person for the job. sad.gif

--------------------
kaboombahchuck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Thu 28 Mar 2024, 23:07
- © 440 Forums 2011