MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Pro Tools Le Vs. Pro Tools Hd, The difference between both
csoste
post Tue 15 Jan 2008, 02:37
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 93,568

Hi,
Since I have not used Pro Tools before and am looking to purchase it I have some questions that I hope someone can answer for me. First what is the most significant difference between Pro Tools HD and Pro Tools LE? Secondly, can one make Broadcast Quality recordings(Recordings that can be put on an album, played on the radio, or placed in films and tv shows.) with Pro Tools LE? If not, is there any recording software comparable to Pro Tools HD that is capable of making Braodcast Quality recordings, but that is a great deal less expensive? Thirdly, is Pro Tools LE compatible with Macs and if so, what device or accessories do I need to purchase to ensure that it is compatible with a Mac? Finally, my ultimate goals for this year are to build a Home Studio and to make or at least begin to make a home recorded album. Since this can't be fully completed until I have moved to a new house, what is the best and most affordable(For $1,000 or a little less) recording software that can begin the process? Many people that I've talked to have told me that a they use multiple recording programs when doing this kind of recording. For instance, they will record initially on Logic and then when they go to mix they will record in Pro Tools. So, which program is the best fit for one who wants to begin recording Master tracks that will eventually be put on album? Is Pro Tools LE sufficient or would Logic Pro be better?
If someone could answer my questions I would be really grateful.
Thanks.
All the best,
Charlie
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andy192
post Thu 17 Jan 2008, 00:09
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 89,343

QUOTE (csoste @ Tue 15 Jan 2008, 03:37) *
Hi,
Since I have not used Pro Tools before and am looking to purchase it I have some questions that I hope someone can answer for me. First what is the most significant difference between Pro Tools HD and Pro Tools LE? Secondly, can one make Broadcast Quality recordings(Recordings that can be put on an album, played on the radio, or placed in films and tv shows.) with Pro Tools LE? If not, is there any recording software comparable to Pro Tools HD that is capable of making Braodcast Quality recordings, but that is a great deal less expensive? Thirdly, is Pro Tools LE compatible with Macs and if so, what device or accessories do I need to purchase to ensure that it is compatible with a Mac? Finally, my ultimate goals for this year are to build a Home Studio and to make or at least begin to make a home recorded album. Since this can't be fully completed until I have moved to a new house, what is the best and most affordable(For $1,000 or a little less) recording software that can begin the process? Many people that I've talked to have told me that a they use multiple recording programs when doing this kind of recording. For instance, they will record initially on Logic and then when they go to mix they will record in Pro Tools. So, which program is the best fit for one who wants to begin recording Master tracks that will eventually be put on album? Is Pro Tools LE sufficient or would Logic Pro be better?
If someone could answer my questions I would be really grateful.
Thanks.
All the best,
Charlie

Hello Charlie,

1, Yes there is a huge difference between LE and HD. Both in performence and price. LE is a host based system wich means that it uses the processing power from your computer and HD is not Host based. HD uses processing power from DSP cards (PCI or PCIe cards you put in your computer) wich means that it doesn't use the power of your computer if you don't want it to.

2, Yes! You can make very high quality recordings, post prods etc with LE. It 's a very good system. I made my first album recordings on LE.

3, LE has better compatibility with Mac's than PC's. If you have a Mac you don't have to worry about anything. Just plug and play.

4, If you can't spend more than $1K i would suggest that you buy an Mbox wich includes PTLE or an M-Audio interface/soundcard with PTLE M-powered.

Look here: http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?navid=...mp;itemid=23596

And here: http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?navid=...amp;itemid=4901

I suggest you start with that and if it turns out well and you grow out of that system you buy PTHD.
A decent HD rigg is about $15K and up so it's maybe a bit overkill to start with that.
I started with Cubase about 10 or 11 years ago and then moved up to the digi001 system with PTLE and now I have a full HD3 Accel on mac.

Good Luck!

Andy
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Fri 19 Apr 2024, 22:17
- © MacMusic 1997-2008