MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
> Hartmann Neuron, Keyboard users
CatloveX
post Sun 2 Apr 2006, 05:58
Post #1

Rookie

Group: Members
Member No.: 32,956

Hi,

Please, to anyone using the keyboard version of the Neuron, could you say for how long have you had it, the use it is having in your studio and if it is worth it?

All the demos I heard on the net are ambient, also, it is always the same "metallic" sounds I hear; Is that the only use you can have from it?

Thanks in advance for eventual replies.

Is it still posible to find the MODELmaker soft somewhere on the net?

This post has been edited by CatloveX: Sun 2 Apr 2006, 06:00
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 9)
lepetitmartien
post Mon 3 Apr 2006, 02:37
Post #2

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Group: Editors
Member No.: 2,758

The only people I know with one (the few I'd say) are pro sound designers. I've only met it at the Musikmesse in 2002 (in fact I was in the Superbooth almost in regard of Mr Hartmann) and it was the last prototype of first unit and it was on the software (model wise) still incomplete. Now it sounded ambient/aerie/kind of metallic (but metal was one of the variation). I've still to here the thing finished with more parameters to play on. a really intriguing synth but i won't say it's for everyone.

The MODELmaker software is free but reserved to Neuron/Neuron VS owners so in the restricted area of the Hartmann website. And with the latest events I don't know what's happening there… unsure.gif

sad.gif

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
CatloveX
post Mon 3 Apr 2006, 19:52
Post #3

Rookie

Thanks again for your answer!

I personally think that if the design and concept is superb, the "inside", soft included, is not at the same level still.

Today you can find the keyboard for 1800 euros, the offer is really tempting knowing that it cost the double some months ago, but apart from the demos I heard and that I didn't really like, it seems that you can't have the Modelmaker with it, at least not legally as there is no more support.

Nevertheless everything seems to be done to develop the Neuron in the future; they kept the (half) website up and someone bought the concept and name. There is hope.

Here is the unofficial site of the Hartmann Neuron from where I got the infos : http://www.surroundsfx.com/forum/

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Tue 4 Apr 2006, 02:39
Post #4

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Thanks for the link (enter it in our link tracker please wink.gif

As it's Mr Hartmann cherished baby, I don't think he'll let it disappear without struggling. They are facing difficult economic issues (but they are not dead, like Waldorf was), also it's moving again in the Waldorf zone (Hartmann is ex Waldorf) and he worked on the new Moog too in between… There's hope even if it's foggy… People have difficulties to understand how it is in very small synthesizers business when you have to fight to get things out. Having lived this myself and knowing a lot of small manufacturer, I know they are passionate by what they do and really want their stuff out and the best possible (like 99% of them, others disappear fast), but the hardware business is even more difficult than the software… unsure.gif

It is a very special synth so not for everyone, if in doubt, it's better to stay away from it, at least until you can put your hands on one before buying. Meanwhile, Mr Hartmann and his associates will have time to get the Neuron back on its feet or found a solution so the user base is not left over. sad.gif

(hope hope, it's been one of the very few interesting and new things in synthesis for a long time rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
CatloveX
post Tue 4 Apr 2006, 14:22
Post #5

Rookie

Entered!

I wouldn't buy it for the demos I heard (a shame I can't demo it myself) but, for the actual price, that would be a nice bet for the future. Maybe in two years time this machine will have an updated soft and will cost the double again.

But meanwhile, knowing that you love analog sound as I do, what was your feeling when you demoed it? Did you enjoy playing it? You said that metallic is not the only variation... never felt of having one? Can you use it as a sampler to process your analog synths?

As for Waldorf that would be excellent news! Do you have some more details? Does somebody understand german?http://www.waldorf-music.de/

Too many questions, I know rolleyes.gif

This post has been edited by CatloveX: Tue 4 Apr 2006, 14:23

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Tue 4 Apr 2006, 18:38
Post #6

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

In 2002 I hadn't the possibility to touch it (I was on a booth and rather busy) but I followed the demoes where he explained the basic. Unfortunately, the Neuron was then in preview, not totally functional so variations for exemple were only in 2 axis available (nearer/further and metal). They added more since, issued the model software… So to give a definitive opinion on something I've not touched _really_ especially since it's commercially available wouldn't be fair.

This said, the sound was very peculiar. I've yet to hear the finished version though.

One point I'm not sure it was a good technological move was the surround sound. But maybe they thought of something it could achieve that weren't yet possible to hear then (spacialization in the patch itself).

On Waldorf, to sum up (like I did in the news wink.gif they announced Waldorf is back on track officially, and gave the actual line up of fellows involved (including 2 ex-Waldorf). I knew it was brewing for some days, but I don't have more information. Maybe the grapevine will be more productive in the next weeks. wink.gif rolleyes.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
mobilegazer
post Tue 4 Apr 2006, 21:52
Post #7

Member No.: 74,185

Well....first of all thanks for mentioning my site www.surroundsfx.com/forum :-)
I used to do the techsupport at Hartmann Music before they became inoperational and together with Stephan Bernsee of OSXTools (who wrote the synthesis engine of the Neuron) we're taking care of the Neuron Kybd/VS community

You'll be glad to know that we are now hosting the Modelmaker and most other stuff that used to be available via the now inoperational "Members" area of the Hartmann website. You can get them at
http://www.surroundsfx.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=7 (requires free forum membership); you'll also find a variety of other cool stuff for and around the Neuron series of instruments there.
You can read about the current state of affairs wrt Hartmann Music and/or their product range at
http://www.surroundsfx.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25

But now to the original question....i've used the Neuron on quite a couple of records, for various types of sounds, and am very happy with it. I actually bought a second one ;-) It excels at atmospheric stuff, that's why you hear a lot of that on demos, but it is equally suited for creating hybrids between percussive sounds and sustained, synthetic stuff....like a very high-tech vocoder if you like. Or you might sample a vietnamese solo violin song and morph that with a distorted guitar riff, which results in the violin playing the harmonics of the guitar. You won't get that sort of thing anywhere else. In another situation i used a distorted guitar stab morphed with an FM-synth waveform as main synth-line for an electro-clashy techhouse track (you can see the video clip that was played on viva at www.linear-music.de as wmf, the main chorus synth is a neuron).....so there is a lot the Neuron can do. what it doesn't do is replace a sample-player or a virtual analog synth...you'll be disappointed with it if that is what you're looking for. Also it takes a while to learn which parameter set works well with which type of source material; some combinations give primarily unmusical (or metallic) results, others really blow your mind :-)
But for 1800 euros it's a REAL bargain if you ask me...grab it while you can.
If you have any more specific questions, i'm your man ;-)

cheers
Denis / Mobilegazer

--------------------
www.surroundsfx.com

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Wed 5 Apr 2006, 02:55
Post #8

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Hey Denis, you're most welcome cool.gif

BTW I'm a Denis too laugh.gif though less neuroned I'd say wink.gif laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
mobilegazer
post Wed 5 Apr 2006, 11:44
Post #9

Member No.: 74,185

hehe, i guess so....:-)

cool name, isn't it?

l8a,
d

--------------------
www.surroundsfx.com

+Quote Post
CatloveX
post Thu 6 Apr 2006, 11:54
Post #10

Rookie

Hey Mobilegazer, thanks for your reply.

If this serves to help your cause, then I will be glad. I think we are many waiting for a come back.

Nice music/clip/girl by the way; I'm thinking of morphing again biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Thu 28 Mar 2024, 16:52
- © 440 Forums 2011