MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Really Want To Switch But Confused
Aniljons
post Tue 17 Jul 2007, 12:37
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 93,072

I am a Music Programmer.I am really keen to switch from Pc to Mac.

This my basic gear list .

PC AMD X2 3800, Motu 828MK2, Cubase SX3, Akai Z4, EMU E4XT, Motif ES 6, Korg Sp100, Maudio Axiom 61and Midi sport.

I'm really confused in selecting whether an IMAC 20 or Mac Pro.

IMAC 20- It is affordable for me but the question is does it worth?

Mac Pro. Should I wait for a Price slash?

I also have a plan to switch Logic pro, though i am comfortable with Cubase, I would Like to how better Logic sounds with Motu 828

Pls help to find a solution asap!!!!!

I found this Site really a cool one ! Thanks to moderators and the guys behind it!!!

Cheers
Anil Jons
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
deaconblue
post Tue 17 Jul 2007, 14:13
Post #2

Member No.: 11,156

Anil,

The choice is about cost and future needs. The iMac is a wonderful machine and is fairly powerful. However, aside from external hard drives and RAM you are going to be limited to a slower bus and less expansion.

The Mac Pro will allow much higher RAM and Hard Drive capacity, PCI cards, and external drives/connections. Also, in my experience, the G5/Mac Pro computers are quieter overall than the iMac, but this may be due to the fact that the Mac Pro/G5 towers sit on the floor normally and the fans are removed from your ears a bit more than the iMac's.

I use a MOTU 828 MkI with my G5 and have had wonderful success with DP, Logic, GarageBand, Reason, Ableton Live, etc. in its use. The sound is really very good. The MkII provides better preamps and the CueMix control will give you even better performance than the MkI.

Glad you find this site useful. The members are what make it so. It has been a great resource for me as well over the years. Welcome aboard. Enjoy the switch to Mac. Don't let the paradigm shift on mousing and menu'ing scare you off. It is actually more intuitive if you just relax with it.

peace.

--------------------
...as you dream you shall become.
boxed art media
Musicians' Access
M.A.W.R web radio

+Quote Post
tsuliman
post Tue 17 Jul 2007, 18:49
Post #3

Member No.: 10,971

Depending on how critical uptime is, don't forget that the iMac presents a single point of failure if the monitor goes out. The iMac is a cost savings in the short run, but due to the expandability of the MacPro, it should have a longer life.

Another problem you will have is finding out what to do with all your extra time now that you won't have to restart, repair viruses, get rid of spyware, find driver conflicts, relieve eye strain, etc. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Aniljons
post Wed 18 Jul 2007, 05:17
Post #4

Member No.: 93,072

HI!

Thanx for your response! Finally I've decided to go for a Mac Pro!

Pls suggest an Online shop other than the apple store. I am not sure whether I could get one
cheaper than from buying it from the apple store!

Should I switch to Logic or stick on to cubase sx3. Anyone Using Cubase on Mac?
Is there any driver Issues?

Pls Help!!!

Cheers

Anil

+Quote Post
deaconblue
post Wed 18 Jul 2007, 13:23
Post #5

Member No.: 11,156

QUOTE (Aniljons @ Tue 17 Jul 2007, 23:17) *
HI!

Thanx for your response! Finally I've decided to go for a Mac Pro!

Pls suggest an Online shop other than the apple store. I am not sure whether I could get one
cheaper than from buying it from the apple store!

Should I switch to Logic or stick on to cubase sx3. Anyone Using Cubase on Mac?
Is there any driver Issues?

Pls Help!!!

Cheers

Anil

Anil,

I don't think Cubase is up to spec for the Intel based Macs yet. Logic is Universal Binary and will run on both PPC and Intel chipsets.

For another store, you can probably find it cheaper at MacMall, but regardless of where you buy, get the AppleCare protection plan. It'll come in handy from a phone support option if nothing else. And since it will give you 3 years of hardware warranty it'll also provide you peace of mind if this is a professional endeavor.

peace

This post has been edited by deaconblue: Wed 18 Jul 2007, 13:24

--------------------
...as you dream you shall become.
boxed art media
Musicians' Access
M.A.W.R web radio

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Wed 18 Jul 2007, 13:27
Post #6

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Group: Editors
Member No.: 2,758

Note that you have full year after the buy to take Applecare (which I think is wise to take) just buy it before the end of the first year. Especially if you're short on cash, it can help to postpone somehow.

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
tsuliman
post Thu 19 Jul 2007, 18:18
Post #7

Member No.: 10,971

If you are buying software, hardware and the Mac Pro, you may want to check with Sweetwater as they sometimes do package deals.

+Quote Post
gdoubleyou
post Fri 20 Jul 2007, 19:31
Post #8

Maniac Member

Member No.: 2,002

The Steinberg products currently aren't in the greatest shape on Mac, SX3 is not compatible to MacIntels.

Cubase 4 is incomplete for MacIntels, it's missing dither, and some of the bundled plugs also haven't been ported.

Then there the issue of performance, from my experience apps like Logic and Digital performer can use 40%-60% more instances of virtual instruments and effects.

My SX is installed on my PC where it performs the best.

For more details check out Cubase.net mac forum.

cool.gif

--------------------
G-Dub

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Thu 28 Mar 2024, 13:31
- © MacMusic 1997-2008