MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mac Routers
drewthescot
post Wed 3 May 2006, 23:00
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 79,140

What is the best router for my new mini mac.To get it to tal;k to a PC with windows?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
rickenbacker
post Thu 4 May 2006, 14:15
Post #2

Maniac Member

Member No.: 4,705

Not really a music topic this, is it? FWIW, I have a LinkSys that I'm happy with - it doesn't actually officially support the Mac OS at all, but it's easy enough to get it up and running on a Mac, so after you've configured it you'd have no trouble connecting to a PC because that's what it's officially designed to do. Sorry, I don't know the exact LinkSys model - it's around £50 on amazon.co.uk. Alternatively, NetGear do a similar box that does officially support the Mac OS.

+Quote Post
gdoubleyou
post Thu 4 May 2006, 21:25
Post #3

Maniac Member

Member No.: 2,002

I have a D-Link wireless hub. You set it up via your web browser.

No sweat, airport just detects it and asks if you want to join the network.

cool.gif

--------------------
G-Dub

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Fri 5 May 2006, 03:09
Post #4

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Group: Editors
Member No.: 2,758

Linksys makes some of the best around. Grab a WRT54G/GS/GL. Save on the G from the Version 5 on, you can load on them an alternative OS (based on linux) with lots of features added, but the routers themselves are among the best.

Netgear makes cool stuff too though more limited (for normal use it's enough).

I strongly encourage you to see what other users of your ISP use as there's sometimes issues between routers and ISP… unsure.gif

Note that the Wi-Fi standard is about to change to its 802.11 "n" version, and right now, no available "n" enabled router is sure to work with the full "n" standard when it'll be finalized at the end of the year. They all use proprietary version of the "n" and don't guarantee the upgrade or compatibility… So for the present time, better to stay away from them…

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
JC pro
post Wed 10 May 2006, 04:34
Post #5

Member No.: 57,371

what about a new product called Buffalo? Has anyone heard of it? Does it support Mac?

Thanks

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Fri 12 May 2006, 04:24
Post #6

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Never heard of them… I'll look on their website later.

About the Linksys, if you need to cover a difficult large zone they are not very good at that, others are better.

The new wifi routers use better chips, more powerful but the n certification is a problem. And Apple is behind with his airport bases.

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
JC pro
post Fri 12 May 2006, 06:39
Post #7

Here's a link to the Buffalo Wireles Router site. http://www.buffalotech.com/products/wireless.php

They seem to be pretty solid from what I've heard.

+Quote Post
deaconblue
post Fri 12 May 2006, 14:19
Post #8

Member No.: 11,156

my recommendation would be a netgear router. They have both wired and wireless. Both offer browser based management and auto detection of firmware updates. Also, their tech support rocks. Support is my main deciding factor on technology, only because electronics fail. Not always, but...

Their Model WGU624 is exceptionally good and covers a good range, both indoors and out (and has both encryption and MAC address access lists so only you can work you network). If you are using a dynamic hosting service (like dyndns.com or others) to have a home based web presence, the current crop of netgear routers can handle that for you as well. If you are 'not supposed' to have more than one machine using your net based upon your ISPs rules/regs, all of the mentioned routers will allow you to publish the MAC address of a computer on your subnet so the ISP sees a Computer at the end of their node versus a router.

I have used D-Link, Linksys, MacSense and Netgear over the years (too many to want to count) and have found the Netgear to be more reliable. I have a netgear wired hub that I bought almost 10 years ago that is still working. I'd still be using it myself, but I wanted wireless access points and my MiL needed a hub for her office.

Just another opinion. Good luck with your choice. Price and feature are truly deciding factors for this one, but for interoperabilty (especially with you Mac), tech support and reliability, I would recommend Netgear.

peace

--------------------
...as you dream you shall become.
boxed art media
Musicians' Access
M.A.W.R web radio

+Quote Post
JC pro
post Sat 13 May 2006, 02:20
Post #9

Absolutely!

i just happened to buy a Netgear WGU624 this afternoon, and so far it's doing the job. You're all over it man. Thanks.

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Sat 13 May 2006, 03:58
Post #10

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Even if I crave for a linksys (for bells and whistles on a mature evoluting firmware), I'm using an old netgear MR314 (no fuss, basic) a friend is lending to me right now which just do its job.

One thing, if you don't know a thing about routers and dull network stuff, go netgear.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Thu 28 Mar 2024, 21:13
- © MacMusic 1997-2008