MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Linking My Emac To Another Computer
twain
post Sat 9 Oct 2004, 17:09
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 23,401

Right now I own a 1ghz emac. I've recently been trying to figure out the best way to upgrade. My choices are upgrade to a 1.8 imac w/ 1 gig ram, or dual 1.8 powermac w/ 1 gig ram. Obviously the dual 1.8 would be the best bet, but it is quite expensive, especially when I have to buy a monitor.
My real question is how easy is it to link my emac to one these computers and run my music off of both? Can I run cubase on one and use plugins for cubase off of the second? How does this work?
Would it be worth it to buy the imac and hook it up to my emac? I don't really know anything about this area and it's something I was thinking I should learn before I make a desicion on what to buy. Especially since i don't have loads of money and don't want to buy alot more than I need.
thanks
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Sun 10 Oct 2004, 04:45
Post #2

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Group: Editors
Member No.: 2,758

The emac is a comparatively slow computer, it may be of use with the imac if the cubase distributing system work (that I don't know, never seen it so I can't tell) or to have ONLY the double 1,8 with loads of RAM (more than 1 Go is even better, but it can wait till it's less expensive) AND a 2nd hard drive for audio.

Why do you need to keep the emac? Selling it may help you to buy the big G5.

Now, to return on the imac, remember that there's the 1rst generation G5 around with better specs than the imac and upgradability for about the same price or less 2nd hand. wink.gif

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
macyu
post Sun 10 Oct 2004, 05:10
Post #3

Rookie

Member No.: 18,075

logic 7 seems to have the distributed processing down right! smile.gif

+Quote Post
erstokke
post Tue 12 Oct 2004, 16:47
Post #4

Member No.: 53,047

The easiest way to hook up two macs are
1- Get a firewire cable (large connector in both ends)
2- Connect the two macs with the cable
3- Power up the old mac holding down the letter "t"
4- The mac goes into firewire state
5- Power up the second Mac
6- The first mac´s disc will appear on the desktop

Now what´s the use of this? I use it to copy the contents of the old mac into the disc of the new mac. You could also use the old mac as storage space, but it will be a very clumsy separate disc. You can´t run any programs on the first mac with this setup.

New Macs are generally very fast and have large discs, so you probably won´t need the old one after you have transferred your data.
----
Jan Erik

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Fri 29 Mar 2024, 14:20
- © MacMusic 1997-2008