MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Internet Exporer Needs More Memory, How do I allocate it???
Zebulun James
post Wed 29 Sep 2004, 00:36
Post #1

Group: Validating
Member No.: 43,114

Thats exactly my question. I have the latest instalment (to my knowledge) of internet explorer 5, and I'll open a page and I'll get an error message saying something like, 'could not open certain things... try allocating more memory to explorer.'

What the stink?

Help Zeb

--------------------
Always watching...[I]
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
PristineRec
post Wed 29 Sep 2004, 01:53
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 33,284

First off, find the application itself. If you don't know where it is, use Sherlock to search for it on your hard drive.

Make sure Explorer is not running.

Select the application in the Finder.

Hold down the Command key and hit the "I" key, this will bring up the "get info" windoe for the file you have selected. (in this case, Internet Explorer"

There will be a dropdown menu in that window where you can select "Memory". I think the default posision of that dropdown is "general".

Under the "Memory" section, there are 2 fields, "Minimum" and "Preferred". This is the amount of RAM that the OS sets aside for Explorer to use, in Kilobytes. If you increase the Preferred number, more RAM will be allocated to Explorer whenever it is launched.

You may have to play with this number a bit to get a good balance between Explorer performance and Explorer hogging all the RAM and no other applications being able to run. Whatever amount you specify in that "Preferred" field can only be used by Explorer whenever Explorer is running, so if you plan to run othher apps at the same time, don't allocate too much of your RAM to explorer, or your other apps will start complaining that THEY don't have enough RAM to do things, or they won't even launch at all. Your system will alert you if there isn't wnough free RAM to run an app you are trying to launch.

While no apps are running, go up under the Apple menu and select "about this Macintosh". It will tell you how much RAM you have installed, how much RAM the Finder is using, ang how much RAM is still available. If you don't plan on running anything other than Explorer at one time, then allocate up to maybe 75% of that free RAM to Explorer. If you have tons of RAM, you probably won't need to allocate nearly that much. Try different memory settings with your apps until you get a good balance.

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Wed 29 Sep 2004, 04:13
Post #3

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Group: Editors
Member No.: 2,758

This is assuming you're using macOS up to 9.22, under OSX, the system does all this for you.

On my personnal expérience of IE under OS 9, I can tell whatever you do, it'll crash after at most 24 hours. It seems IE is really bad at recovering its memory when you close a window, open another.

IE is dead, fortunately. tongue.gif

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
dixiechicken
post Thu 30 Sep 2004, 10:17
Post #4

Group Icon

Group: Team
Member No.: 14,645

If you're running OS-X I'd recommend you give Mozilla 1.7.3 a spin or Firefox.
Both those browsers can be found at http://www.mozilla.org/

Cheers: Dixiechicken

--------------------
==================
Oh my god it's full of stars…
---------------------------------------------------
Mac-G5-2x.2.0, OS-X 10.5.1, 250/200Gb HD - 7.0Gb ram
DP-5.13, Motu 828 MK-II, MTP AV Usb, ltst drvs,
Kurzweil-2000, EPS-16, Proteus-2000, Yamaha 01V
Emes Kobalt monitors
================================

+Quote Post
kaboombahchuck
post Thu 30 Sep 2004, 13:46
Post #5

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,003

I prefer Safari to all the explores I've ran across so far. I've never had a crash or memory problems.

--------------------
kaboombahchuck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Fri 29 Mar 2024, 08:28
- © MacMusic 1997-2008