MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Just Switched To Mac, What Sequencer Should I Use?, Cubase SX? Cubase SL? MOTU DP? Protools?
lepetitmartien
post Tue 18 Feb 2003, 23:47
Post #11

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Group: Editors
Member No.: 2,758

You'll can still use PT free when it'll be available for X (one day…) as there are workarounds and the sound quality is worth the effort in 9 (in X it seems the same from the first opinions). If you live near a big city (I don't know where your city is, I'm a bit far form the USA wink.gif, it shouldn't be to much a hassle to find people to watch the things working.

For reviews, check the ones from SOS and Electronic Musician, SOS has runned a few article on the basics of logic environements and features monthly articles on each of the main contenders.

btw kyle, your website can't be accessed… (access denied)

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
anarchosyn
post Wed 19 Feb 2003, 05:52
Post #12

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,562

Kyle, it really comes down to what you feel you're going to need.

I can live without VST, as everything I would want is coming out within the year for AU (reaktor, waves plugins, max-msp-pluggo, other NI software eventually). Some people can't. If you're new to the mac side of the fence, and have yet to invest in VSTs for the platform, I'd suggest trying logic 6 out. It's the newest, has many interesting new features (do a quick net search, or go to www.emagic.de) and is owned by apple, so the future is pretty secure.

Cubase is a great program, but I've heard horror stories about the support on the mac side (the dedication seems to be towards the PC community first, then mac). On all accounts, it's pretty buggy still, but this may be fixed shortly (or not, who knows). If you don't mind waiting for updates, and if it works without issues for you, SX might be the way to go. I'd hunt around Cubase.net to get a feel for how things are currently standing.

DP is a system I've hardly seen, let alone learned anything about..

+Quote Post
rickenbacker
post Wed 19 Feb 2003, 12:37
Post #13

Maniac Member

Member No.: 4,705

Kyle: I don't know where you're based, but music mags in the UK often have demos of the big sequencers on their cover CDs. Can you find something like that locally? Or don't the company websites offer anything?

+Quote Post
sazerac
post Wed 19 Feb 2003, 18:07
Post #14

Member No.: 10,641

Just thought I'd add my two cents - I started out as a Deck user (4-5 years ago I guess). Very basic, but a totally painless introduction to computer based multitracking. If it had any sequencing capability, I didn't know it.

Later I bought a Digi001 which took care of the hardware/software compatibility issues and hand a pretty intuitive interface. Any other PT set-up was entirely not an option because of the huge leap in price. Not being an expert in midi, I still managed to get up and running without too many headaches. But plug-ins were SO expensive (and nearly all the most desireable ones were TDM only) and I couldn't figure out how to automate keyboard module parameters, etc.

Then last year, although a few articles I read mentioned at least one feature in DP that sounded very cool, the Audio Instruments (virtual synths - I love my ES2!) and a reputation for the deepest midi control - and the boatload of included plug-ins pushed me towards Logic.

Here's my evaluation of Logic (and there will be some seemingly irrelevant information included in the interest of full disclosure):
(My host machine is a Titanium Powerbook - 400Mhz)
Midi is unbelievably great. And I think it's safe to say that I've only scratched the surface of Logic's midi potential.
Audio is in no way inferior (to my ears) to PT. (And believe it or not, I'm using an $30.00 iMic as my Audio In until a reasonably priced firewire solution becomes available - if the FireStation was made for OSX I'd probably use that). I used an EZBus for a short time, but found that it was not appropriately named and returned it.
Automation is so wonderful that I don't how I could possibly overstate it.
Hardware Compatiblity has been my biggest concern with Logic, but that has as much to do with my being an OSX user as anything else. So I'm just taking my time and waiting until what I want is available.
Plug-In Availability is surprisingly not a big problem for me. The only thing I MUST have that I can't get are the wonderful GRM plugs as VST2 or AU.
CPU Overload has never been an issue (even on this - by comparison to yours - meager machine) unless I have more than 5 ES2's working SIMULTANEOUSLY in combination with a bunch of plug-ins. I have not yet overloaded the CPU with audio sources+plug-ins+a couple of virtual instruments only.

In conclusion, I think Logic is wonderful. And the features of Logic 6 look VERY useful.

Since this is my first post on the MacMusic forums, I'm sure I've broken several rules. My apologies in advance to the moderators.

p.s. If you don't already own it, go buy Reason 2. Trust me.

+Quote Post
liquidh2o
post Sat 8 Mar 2003, 13:58
Post #15

Member No.: 6,910

if you decide to go the Cubase route, I have the full version for osx that i'm looking to sell. It's complete with manuals, box and cd. If you're interested shoot me an email at liquidh2o@team5150.com

+Quote Post
mook noodler
post Wed 12 Mar 2003, 05:50
Post #16

Member No.: 14,040

Hey Kyle, Steinberg has a demo version of Cubase SX on their site. Unfortunately I can't find one for DP or Logic though...

+Quote Post
hanikfashhou
post Wed 12 Mar 2003, 11:19
Post #17

Member No.: 7,964

I have a 1.25GHz Dual Processort, I'm running Cubase SX, with OSX. I produce commercial dance tracks.

Cubase SX has been redesigned, the Audio handleing is much better than previous versions, if you want to produce dance music, then Cubase SX is the best.

lepetitmartien said Cubase is a little less pro, Im not sure which angle he is coming from, because in the dance music industry Cubase is as good as any!

Pro tools is too expensive, and personally not worth the cash, Cubase can do as much as Pro Tools as a total audio sequencer, if you want to do Audio Post for Movies then get Pro Tools. If you want to make quality dance tracks then get Cubase.

+Quote Post
rickenbacker
post Wed 12 Mar 2003, 12:59
Post #18

Maniac Member

Member No.: 4,705

I side with hanik over SX, but I'd go further and say it's not just for dance music - I record guitars, bass, vocals and other live instruments, plus add soft synths and drums via Midi. I'm working quicker and easier than I ever was with Logic and the results sound every bit as good as any sequencer I've tried - from what I understand, SX uses the same audio engine as Nuendo (Steinberg's top-end software).

If anyone has a bad attitude about Cubase, it usually relates to an older version - either that or they're just reciting something they've heard other people say. SX can handle it all - audio or Midi, plus you can use all the VST instruments and FX available. Plenty more are in progress, too. As for bugs, every computer program has them. I've already read plenty of angry comments about Logic 6. blink.gif

I think there's a definite snobbery about using Logic - it's not THAT great. tongue.gif

Try as many as you can and see what suits you. Just don't get hustled into using something just 'cos everyone else does.

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Thu 13 Mar 2003, 03:47
Post #19

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Group: Editors
Member No.: 2,758

hanikfashhou cubase has had midi timing problems for years (now if it is at last ended, it's GREAT smile.gif now on Protols you can't make cheaper than PT free but unfortunately… well… still not on the map on X. PT LE is available only if you buy a Digidesign interface we don't know at the moment if you'll can use them with other softwares (like we can in 9 with ASIO drivers)

Now resistance is futile there is no demos of either Logic or (when it'll come to X at last) DP (if MOTU do as usual).

There is METRO (users here can talk about it), Numerology (brand new thing, special, dirt cheap), Nuendo (ooch price but cool)…

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
hanikfashhou
post Fri 14 Mar 2003, 02:36
Post #20

Member No.: 7,964

Rickenbacker, unfortunately I havent used SX for recording live instruments my music is pure electronic, my vocals however are obviously audio, and I can produce industry quality results, expecially with the old VST plug-ins.

I do think nowadays it is getting very hard to choose which programme to use, to me its as if Pro Tools isnt as impressive as it used to be as many new programmes can handle Audio as good, SX uses the same audio engine as Nuendo whic makes it a viable entry for anyone who wants to create professional audio.

It all comes down to money! In an ideal world, I would like t have a fully integrated Pro Tools studio, but I can honestly say I am producing tracks that are of similar standard at the fraction of the price.

I am a Cubase man now, the latest update has aolved all problems with SX, it runs like a dream.

Good luck Kyle, I hope you get it right for yourself.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Fri 29 Mar 2024, 14:21
- © MacMusic 1997-2008