MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sample Rate Converter For Os X Panther??
TiguerSound
post Fri 21 May 2004, 16:27
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,920

Does anyone know of a good sample rate converter for OS X?
At times, I need to convert Audio files to a different speed. (I have a 15ips tape deck, and frequently transfer 3 3/4 & 7 1/2 ips tapes on it, so they come in sounding like chip monks.)

Currently, I use r8brain (http://www.voxengo.com/r8brain/) on my Windows XP machine but that involves converting the audio to .wav, transferring the files to the windows machine, converting them, transferring them back to my MAC, importing into my DAW. (DP 4.12)

The files are recorded at 44.1k 16 bit on my DAW. I move them to r8brain, resample to 176400 (for 3/3/4 ips tapes) with the sample rate set to 44.1k. Works like a charm.

I have not been able to find one for MAC that works like this. I did try Sample Manager, but was unsuccessful in getting the conversions to work properly. Couldn't seem to figure out how to get the resampled file to play at the right speed back in my DAW, like it does after the r8brain treament.
Any help is appreciated. MOTU tells me to buy a new interface that can handle 176400. Yeah right. This is so simple but I just can't find a good MAC equivalent to r8brain. Did I mention "free" would be good - like r8brain?
Thanks
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
nlowther
post Sat 22 May 2004, 10:24
Post #2

Member No.: 40,556

SOUND STUDIO can re-sample to other rates. You can download the demo from the Apple website/ Audio software download section

+Quote Post
jjneumann
post Sat 22 May 2004, 14:15
Post #3

Member No.: 41,910

MOTU is correct about one thing, that if you're going to be slowing down the recording by a great deal, you should use a huge sample rate to preserve the quality of the audio. Because you're going to need 44.1 kHz * (15/3.75)=176 kHz to maintain CD quality. There's no way to correct for this in software processing afterward, because if you've only sampled at 44 kHz, you've lost two octaves of information to start with.

If you have a lot of 3.75 ips tapes, have you considered going to eBay to find a machine that can play them? I had really good luck finding an old 16-mm projector to play some old family movies. So someone probably has an old reel-to-reel that they have no use for, that can play your tapes, and they'll sell it cheap.
Good luck.

+Quote Post
TiguerSound
post Sat 22 May 2004, 16:49
Post #4

Member No.: 20,920

Thanks - I'll check out Sound Studio.

JJneumann - The rate conversion I'm already doing in r8brain sounds GREAT. It's mostly old and spoken word stuff anyway.
The point is - I have a solution that works fine - it's just that I'm looking for someting in OS X to save the transfer to XP back and forth time.
Thanks for the input.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Sat 20 Apr 2024, 04:57
- © MacMusic 1997-2008