MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ns10s ....do They Just Look Good?, ..not enough bass.......
post Wed 24 Jul 2002, 01:17
Post #1

Group:
Member No.: 0

the high end is very harsh (loud) and seems not too have anough bass for the little black box.
are these good for electronic music?
..or just for rock/jazz/pop...
i know every high end studio has a pair, but maybe cause they record rock/jazz/pop, and not 4/4 beats.
when i finish a track and it sounds good on them...
..i play it on a stereo and there is no bottom, and just sounds different.
heX
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Wed 24 Jul 2002, 15:48
Post #2

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Group: Editors
Member No.: 2,758

First, you _can't_ sort bass from a small box, it's impossible physically.

Second, they are known aspecially for their worst possible hifi speaker available looklike. Well it's not exactly that, but the common knowledge is: if it can't be ok on these, it'll be everywhere else.

They don't have a balanced sound, they are harsh, tiring etc. But some engineers love them, other hate them, some even don't care wink.gif

The main use of a monitor pair is to give an "acurate" (mark the word) vision of what's going on. It doesn't obligatory mean that it's truth, or equal, or hifi, or whatever. Neither about Electronica, tango or poppy things. It's that the engineer knows what a mix SHOULD sound like on.

quite different.

Some say and prefer NS10s or a bit more delicate monitor, other want as neutral monitoring as possible.

The room is to be taken into account (at least at high levels).

So a monitor is not (some say that, not my opinion) linked to a type of music, but to a type of ears (the engineer model BTW wink.gif and a type of brain that can interpret correctly the mix thru it to make something sensible with it.

If you have them for some time, have listened a lot of (diferent) music thru it, used them for mixing, and that the result is not top notch. either you don't use your ears and brain correctly, or it's just not the monitors for you.

Btw you posted in the wrong forum, bad boy (spank spank wink.gif

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
post Thu 25 Jul 2002, 17:47
Post #3

Group:
Member No.: 0

I think youre right about the room cause when I go lay down on the bed there is a LOT more bass...
..lots of bounce in the room i guess.

and I use a MAC with OS9.2 and a motu2408, and ns10s.......how am I in the wrong forum?

heX

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Thu 25 Jul 2002, 22:22
Post #4

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Group: Editors
Member No.: 2,758

Hu… NS10 is a loudspeaker ?

yes biggrin.gif

Ns10 is no mac hardware ?

uh… no huh.gif

NS10 is no software ?

uh neither blink.gif

So why this thread was in the beginning in the Mac OS 9 forum blink.gif blink.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

[/moderation mode]

Now for your room… first remember than NS10s are nothing close to a perfect balanced quiet flat response speaker. Exactly not that. That mainly why some use them so much. Second are they rightly disposed, are you mixing at equal distance from them, right down the sweet spot? Are they close to walls, corners or other flat surfaces (mixer, table…) are they standing up, or laying flat?

The room… how is it big (or small) ? The smaller, the more looking like a cube the worse it is.

Did your run some audio cd from them. It helps to know HOW it should sound from it

If you hear a LOT more bass on your bed, maybe there's a knob of standing waves resonating with the dimensions of the room (either adding like here or anulating each other)

For proper info on the placement of loudspeakers check the genelec website http://www.genelec.com/ht/faq see the last q&a. I can't tell you to check the SOS website (except if you're a subscriber) as the article on that is in his subscriber only 6 month period. But the genelec faq wil be helpfull enough. I used their insight for monitor placement ot a friend studio (with big JBLs on stands) it improved dramatically the result which was before muddy with an oversized bass to something much more clean and equal (it was just a question of 20 cm and of angle of speakers).

hope for the better (well, something better taht is wink.gif

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
damann
post Fri 26 Jul 2002, 04:36
Post #5

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,044

the best way to regard ns10s' is as a type of loudspeaker that lacks any kind of "muscle". laugh.gif
"bass" is "out of the question"! tongue.gif
the idea of using them is that if you can make music sound "phat" on them, it will sound "even better" on something "good" if you "process" it on the "nessies"...
i f+cK!^g hate them these days though! biggrin.gif
just not necassary anymore, just referencing your track with some of the latest sh!t should give you a good "reality check"...

--------------------
one for all and all for one...

+Quote Post
rumbo
post Wed 28 Aug 2002, 11:10
Post #6

Rookie

Member No.: 143

1/ the real good point is you can listen to ns10 in any studio in the world
and compare...
2/ You can buy a sub for bass frequencies...
many people do that.

RoŽ
(alias rumbo)

+Quote Post
rickenbacker
post Thu 29 Aug 2002, 11:43
Post #7

Maniac Member

Member No.: 4,705

Yeah, that's the point of the NS10s and why virtually all studios have them (or at least something like them). If your mix works fine on them, it'll probably work on everything else. Of course, most studios have other high-quality speakers, too. Yamaha have discontinued the NS10s now, but I've got a pair of their "replacements", the MSP5, and I think they're great.

+Quote Post
filarion
post Fri 30 Aug 2002, 09:43
Post #8

Member No.: 5,666

I´ve only heard the MSP5 when shopping for a new set of monitors to replace my NS10´s. To me they sounded a LOT better than my NS10´s and better than Reveals or Alesis Monitor One´s. I was really impressed with the MSP10 though, really liked them. I finally went with the Blue Sky System One 2.1 though (after talking to my bank, lalala) and am VERY happy with it. The NS10´s still do their job as second NF monitors though.

The NS10 is not the best monitor speaker to produce beats on, imo. I´ve been doing beats with it, but I always switched between them and my regular HIFI system (with Denon boxes, they´re probably flatter than the NS10s). A lowcost NF solution for producing beats that two of my pals are using these days is the Syrincs M3-220 2.1 system. Most audio engineers will run screaming, but they have a great low end and are good for club production, since you get that "bigass PA" feel if you crank them up enough.

+Quote Post
damann
post Sun 1 Sep 2002, 03:35
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,044

hey rickenbacker, i take my krk9000b's and my bryston 3bst pro wherever i go! wink.gif
the important thing is to get to know a "monitoring" system.
these days you'll find brystons and krk's in all the best studios, ns10's are just a habit that some people need to grow out of. laugh.gif
hey rumbo, you can reference your music on krk or genelec in any studio in the world too...
i checked out the msp5's and they're pretty good, MUCH better than ns10's! rolleyes.gif
peace to all, as far as monitoring is concerned, you only live once, do it properly! cool.gif

--------------------
one for all and all for one...

+Quote Post
Synthetik
post Tue 3 Sep 2002, 01:25
Post #10

Member No.: 5,668

The thing with the NS10's is the same as the Alesis Monitor Ones. They are not very good at being monitors, But if you can get a mix to sound good on them the mix will sound good everywhere. That is why most every studio has them. Try working with you EQ and just getting levels right. I'm sure you'll find a sound that is great, and when you pop it in your friends car it will sound the way it did when you mixed it down.

--------------------
BING BING BLEEP ERRRRRRR[I]

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Thu 28 Mar 2024, 18:49
- © 440 Forums 2011