MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What Makes A For A Good Condensor Mic?
bcatcho
post Tue 8 Mar 2005, 18:44
Post #1

Rookie

Group: Members
Member No.: 58,914

So what makes for a good condensor mic (for vocals)? I'm looking to add more studio quality sounds to my makeshift home studio... (really im recording out of a 11' by 14' bedroom onto an MXL $60 condensor mic).

Does the setting that the mic is in have a greater effect on the sound than the actual mic does?

--------------------
cheapchops.net = deals on progear and audio stuffs
user posted image
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
swilder
post Tue 8 Mar 2005, 20:38
Post #2

Member No.: 23,402

Man, your question is so broad and is sure to invite many and varied responses. I'm have a very utilitarian view about gear. I believe you just use whatever gear is necessary to get the sound you are going for in your head.

I have a good friend who does the most amazing things sith a sub-$100 condenser mic. I work with other people who cannot live without the $3000 Neuman mics. And then are the people who need nothing more than a few sm-57s and 58s.

it's not about gear, it's about how you use it.

So the question is, how do you want to use it. Are you looking for a mic that is clean and doesn't color the sound? Or are you looking for something with a ton of character?

What's your budget? If you have a small budget; would it be better to get one mic that can handle a wide range of applications? Or do you have cash to spend on a variety of mics that are well suited to specific tasks?

Do you have decent preamps and monitors. Every bit as crucial as good mics in my opinion.

Just my 2 cents

Scott

+Quote Post
bcatcho
post Tue 8 Mar 2005, 21:08
Post #3

Rookie

Ok lets start specifying this topic by answering some of your questions.

I want a mic that is vocally suitable for music thats comparable to the style of radio head. I assume when i want a mic i want it to be clean (but i didnt know some mics are made to enhance with character).

My budget is not large at all... sub $250 and the fewer mics i have the better on my budget.

I have used a basic art-preamp and frankly only because i was told to... im still not quite sure what they are good for. My monitors are M-audios and they are decent.

Thanks for the input, ill keep specifiying what i want to know... its just hard when you are a begginer because you really dont even know what you want to know, sometimes...

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post
swilder
post Tue 8 Mar 2005, 23:17
Post #4

under $250???

The Rode NT-1A is $200 and a great sounding mic that is very versatile.

The Audio Technica AT2020 is $100. And they always make very usable mics

The Studio Projects C1 has been compared favorably to the uber-expensive neuman mics and is only $200

If you're willing to spend jus a little more (around $300) then you can step up to alot of really cool options. The Shure KSm-27, the Rode nt1000, audio technica at4040. The M-audio solaris has been getting good reviews too.

I like the rode mics alot. Great bang for the buck ratio.

Scott

+Quote Post
bcatcho
post Tue 8 Mar 2005, 23:22
Post #5

Rookie

Ok say i save up a bit longer and go for the 300 dollar options. What would a mic-preamp do to enhance the quality/flavor of the sound? or is that too broad? are there many different types of preamps for different applications?

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Wed 9 Mar 2005, 01:59
Post #6

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Group: Editors
Member No.: 2,758

C1 is awesome! wub.gif
SE Electronics SE2200A is the next step, but not the same price.
I know only the NT-1, so I can't tell for the new version.
Mind also that the sound will be only as good as the couple mic/pre, it's stupid to use a very good mic into a crappy preamp. cool.gif

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
swilder
post Wed 9 Mar 2005, 16:23
Post #7

Have you ever gone swimming and when you got out of the water you thought everything was fine. But then all of a sudden some water drains out of ear and wow! everything is better and clearer. More intelligible.

A good mic pre will have better frequency response, less noise and most of all give you a true representation of the sound coming from the mic. Once again, they can be pretty transparent, or add a ton of character to the sound.

M-audio is a good place to start, great bang for the buck. Presonus also makes some great products that won't break the bank. Of course, if you have the $$$, you can step up to Avalons, GML or Universal Audio. Or if you're really serious you can try to find a vintage Neve or get one the neve clones.

+Quote Post
swilder
post Wed 9 Mar 2005, 16:26
Post #8

if you're recording straight into your computer, you can get mic pres that also go straight to usb or firewire.

M-audio, tascam, presonus, edirol, mark of the unicorn and others all make units that do this.

+Quote Post
bcatcho
post Wed 9 Mar 2005, 19:34
Post #9

Rookie

Ive been looking into the tascam us-122, if thats what you are talking about. The MOTU's seem to get recomended alot around here, but their price range might make it a bit out of reach for a student of my financial status.

Do you have any low end recomended MOTU to point me at?

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post
Seth Peterson
post Sat 16 Apr 2005, 01:33
Post #10

Rookie

Member No.: 62,759

Hey guys, about pre amps
I've been using a motu 828mkii (600$) and love it. Now I'm planning on getting a Berhinger ADA8000 (239$) and have a few cheap mics. Is it worth getting a better pre amp even though my mics are old and battered? Is it worth it for punk rock music? I know their are other variables...

--------------------
Mac Book Pro Intel 2 duo, 2.16 2gb ram, Cubase 4, Reason 3.5, Peak, motu 828mkII, OctoPre Le, some mics and Ideas, and your helpful tips.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Fri 19 Apr 2024, 19:13
- © 440 Forums 2011