MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What Brand For A Good Studio Microphone ??, for vocal...
lepetitmartien
post Wed 21 Jan 2004, 18:00
Post #11

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Group: Editors
Member No.: 2,758

QUOTE (binus @ Jan 21 2004, 11:50)
The Blueberry mic belongs to the same family as the Baby Bottle: BLUE !! rolleyes.gif

I've seen…

Looks good too smile.gif
(they have good designers)

One of the MM teamers has 2 U47s, you should see him when he opens the boxes wink.gif laugh.gif

A U47 right now is in the 3000-4000 € range… (a refurbish one is 4100 €)
The tube itself is in the 2000-2500 €

What I was saying upon the recording venue is that even if you can use a U47 in yoiur bedroom, some of the advantages you can draw from high end mics will flourish only in a strictly controlled environement. Think about noise (especially with old mics), tonal balance, they will sound even better in a studio.

Now, you can use a Tandy/ratshack mic in Abbey Road or a U47 in your bedroom, but sometimes it won't be up to your expectations. blink.gif biggrin.gif This said, it's not forbidden by law.

Islington… well, it's rather quiet once you're off the main roads smile.gif
(had a boyfriend there wink.gif

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
PristineRec
post Wed 21 Jan 2004, 21:50
Post #12

Group: Members
Member No.: 33,284

My main microphone is the BLUE Dragonfly. It sells for about $800 US.
It sounds amazing on just about anything. I use it for all vocals and acoustic guitars. I've used it on cellos and contrabass with fantastic results as well.

+Quote Post
binus
post Thu 22 Jan 2004, 00:07
Post #13

Maniac Member

Member No.: 3,674

What I was saying upon the recording venue is that even if you can use a U47 in yoiur bedroom, some of the advantages you can draw from high end mics will flourish only in a strictly controlled environement. Think about noise (especially with old mics), tonal balance, they will sound even better in a studio.

Thank you Petit Martien !! smile.gif
If I clearly get what you state here: buying a beautiful flat shoe is waste of money if you don't have the sexy carpet to step on... that's it ?? rolleyes.gif biggrin.gif
More seriously, what you say just takes me back to the beginning of this thread and I think I can summarize a bit now after all I picked up here and there:
1/ price range from 300 up to 600 €, or so... (if higher the environment would not fit...)
2/ brand names: Studio Projects (C1, TB1, T3)
RODE NT2, NTK
Blue Baby Bottle
V69Mogami (I could not where to find it in France... reviews on US forums are quite enthusiastic...).

Now what is your point, just before you come by here to have a little taste of Vouvray ??

biggrin.gif wink.gif

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Fri 23 Jan 2004, 19:51
Post #14

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Choose the best reasonably priced and the most allrounder. you'll can buy higher end later, have a(n even) better pre later but don't go too low as there's real s…t around too.

Now in the 300-600€ you should be fine

I will tell here the site one of the FR members just gave: The Listening Sessions
(look if it's the links here, if not, add it… it gives points wink.gif

Mic and pre recordings to have an idea… great!

The Mogami looks like one of the SE… certainly the same factory.

In the short list, I'd go Blue baby or SP
I don't know the Mogami, and I like less the big RODEs, Add the SE too. Sorry not to be definitive, but I limit to the ones I know and for a few advice from people here I trust (mic gurus wink.gif

Also you can call me LPM for short wink.gif

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
binus
post Fri 23 Jan 2004, 23:12
Post #15

Maniac Member

I will tell here the site one of the FR members just gave: The Listening Sessions
(look if it's the links here, if not, add it… it gives points

I did not look, but I thanked Lepurestyle just before you did !! biggrin.gif rolleyes.gif

OK, I think I am getting nearer and nearer to SP mics, or Baby Bottle !!

Peter

+Quote Post
binus
post Fri 23 Jan 2004, 23:14
Post #16

Maniac Member

Excuse-me: what does "SE" mean ???
Should I blush in confusion ??? biggrin.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
rickenbacker
post Sat 24 Jan 2004, 01:03
Post #17

Maniac Member

Member No.: 4,705

I presume it's a reference to SE Electronics, whose mics I mentioned in one post and LPM is commenting further on them.

I've not used one, but they got good reviews last year for giving a pretty decent sound at a spectacularly low price (low being relative - £300 or £400 for the top of the range).

If you live in England, you can get them on a week's free trial from the distributors, Sonic Distribution.

Now, LPM, about this friend with the two U47s. What did you say their address is...? biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Sat 24 Jan 2004, 01:32
Post #18

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

It's our teamer heral smile.gif
He's a bit far from you, but Eurostar+TGV should do it wink.gif

Upon SE, They are acclaimed, and I won't be that surprised all this stuff comes from a one and only chinese factory.

Even John Oram buys them there, but his Trident mics are assembled by hand in UK (he gets the parts only) so that he can control quality (and price goes up accordingly)

--------------------

+Quote Post
NeoAle73
post Sat 7 Feb 2004, 16:42
Post #19

Member No.: 33,477

I just bought a Rode NT2000 and I think it may suit your needs. Great sound (not a Neumann of course, but it is way over the other brands in its price range, which is about €500), very flexible (it has a cantinuously variable polar pattern from omni to cardioid to figure-of-eight, so whink of the possibilities...). In one word: GREAT.

NeoAle73

+Quote Post
binus
post Sat 7 Feb 2004, 19:56
Post #20

Maniac Member

To all, since I had to make a choice after all I have read here and there, I broke for the SP T3, whose reviews are very very good anywhere on the net. I have it since two days only and I can't compare it to other mics of the same class or price range since I am unexperienced, but condisering my previous mic (an ATM10a), it is absolutely gorgeous !!
All I have to do now is just to re-record what I once looked upon as pure wonders... !! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Thu 18 Apr 2024, 16:18
- © 440 Forums 2011