MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest
2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> G5 Xserve - Good Audio Potential?
Tree Leopard
post Sun 23 Jan 2005, 06:57
Post #11

Group: Members
Member No.: 58,389

The Great Realtime Networking Challenge...

As for Nuendo 3.0... since Yamaha have made a move on Steinberg, then Nuendo may include features that make more extensive use of Yamaha's existing hardware support for a variety of audio networking systems...

[ Yamaha grab Steinberg: http://www.pinnaclesys.com/aboutus/PR/News...753&Langue_ID=7 ]

And here is a list of some realtime networking solutions currently on offer...
http://www.yamaha.co.jp/english/product/pr...io_ds/index.htm

An example: Cobranet is an embedded system (its got chips, but no fish) which has been used by Peter Gabriel on recent tours. Quite a few mainstream companies are jumping on this one... latencies of under 2ms over modified ethernet ain't too bad...

http://www.cirrus.com/en/products/pro/deta...tail/P1022.html

Or even better... fibre optics... YES! THIS IS THE FUTURE! smile.gif (shame there isn't a "Mad Professor" button here)
http://www.optocore.com/products/index.html

Our Mac "Node" idea (or similar) is not too far away. Then all we need is some code to tie all this together, across 3 major platforms - not just for MAC.

This said, it's aimed to non real time operations, so with latency workarounds you can do some jobs in "real time", but the main use would be in audio some treatments, in DTP image manipulation, and 3D. I'm sure it can be pushed in the direction of things like Mathematica wink.gif

You're thinking Mathematica could be good as a kind of "offline" processing engine for audio? I've never seen it in action, so I'm curious about its potential.

Btw, for others...Mathematica is this: http://www.wolfram.com/products/mathematica/tour/
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Sun 23 Jan 2005, 07:14
Post #12

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Group: Editors
Member No.: 2,758

No, I was talking about Mathematica, as Photoshop, Painter, 3D stuff or Final Cut Pro/Avid… as potential buyers for a node, the people using these need power. The bruter force the better. laugh.gif (for once… wink.gif

About technologies, they do exist, it's only time real time processing goes down the ladder from military to people who have real thing to do (than squash the head of the neighbour wink.gif cool.gif

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
Tree Leopard
post Sun 23 Jan 2005, 07:58
Post #13

Member No.: 58,389

...I've just looked at what Mathematica actually does do... OK, they will NEED this! smile.gif

Lets add MAX/MSP users to the list... MAX "Objects" spread over a realtime network feeding a multi-channel speaker system... I like it. Peter Gabriel will too...

+Quote Post
philippmaier
post Thu 9 Jun 2005, 16:18
Post #14

Member No.: 66,630

Hi.

Just joined this forum.
I recently got a new MAC G5 Dual 2.7 after having used a G4 dual 1.42 for quite while.
I was looking forward (as an old Logic user) to be able to use the node application on my G4 and use the new G5 as a main machine, but no luck. Core Audio just crashes on the G5 as soon as you try to connect to a G4 with Logic Node running. It works perfectly the other way around. That just doesn't make sense to me. Isn't the logical step to upgrade from a G4 to a G5 and then use both machines, rather then trying to sell an older still very good G4 ? Don't really understand Apples philosophy there, apart from the fact, that they force people to buy G5's.
Any way - I looked at this Xgrid program and downloaded it from the website. Does anyone have experience in using this hooking up a G5 and as a grid a G4 with Logic Pro ?
Or is there any other advise on how to be able to use both machines (G5 main, G4 networked) with Logc ?

Thanks.

Philipp

+Quote Post
TBRENN2000
post Tue 27 Mar 2007, 18:37
Post #15

Member No.: 89,778

I have used the logic node function, and set up an xgrid network between my mac pro dual 2.6, and my mac book 1.8.Running pro tools LE with 25 tracks and several plug ins was more of a pian than a pleasure.Very latent, very glitchy, very unpractical.I had the same issues on logic pro useing the node function.as soon as I turned off the grid, no problem. same with the nodes.Its a great Idea, and maybe close to being a reality, but for audio apps not quite here yet. angry.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Tue 16 Apr 2024, 10:22
- © MacMusic 1997-2008