MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Logic Express And Midi Output, MIDI output going through keyboard
lacmackay
post Thu 14 Jul 2005, 09:33
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 67,755

Hi everyone,

I've just gotten Logic Express 7. I have a Tascam US-428 and have connected that to the midi ports on my keyboard. I can record the midi but the audio during recording comes out of the keyboard speakers as well as my monitors which are connected to the US-428 via RCA outputs.

Even worse, when i play back what I have recorded, it only comes through the keyboard and no sound comes out the monitors at all.

CAN ANYONE HELP ME?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
edge100
post Thu 14 Jul 2005, 17:39
Post #2

Rookie

Member No.: 43,617

QUOTE (lacmackay @ Jul 14 2005, 08:33)
Hi everyone,

I've just gotten Logic Express 7. I have a Tascam US-428 and have connected that to the midi ports on my keyboard. I can record the midi but the audio during recording comes out of the keyboard speakers as well as my monitors which are connected to the US-428 via RCA outputs.

Even worse, when i play back what I have recorded, it only comes through the keyboard and no sound comes out the monitors at all.

CAN ANYONE HELP ME?

Ok, first: do you have the keyboard audio outs plugged into the US-428, or just the MIDI outs?

Your setup should look something like this:

Keyboard MIDI Out to US-428 MIDI In
US-428 MIDI Out to Keyboard MIDI In

Keyboard Audio out to US-428 Audio In
US-428 Audio Out to Monitors

Now, in Logic Express 7, you must enable the US-428 as the audio i/o device (done in the Audio Drivers menu....I'm not in front of Logic right now so I can remember the exact place...look in preferences for Audio/Driver Prefs).

I think what you've done is enabled zero-latency monitoring on the US-428. You must ensure that you are mixing the Logic outs with the direct outs of the US-428. Read your US-428 manual to see how this is done. I had the US-122 for a while and it was the same...you have to allow BOTH the direct audio monitoring and computer outs to go through the US-428.

In addition, you must DISABLE the local out on the keyboard to avoid hearing the keyboard speakers as well. Most keyboards can do this. Read your manual for this.

Hope this all helps!

Mike

This post has been edited by edge100: Thu 14 Jul 2005, 17:40

+Quote Post
lacmackay
post Sun 17 Jul 2005, 01:57
Post #3

Thanks for your reply. I'll explain what's happening in more detail. I have my keyboard (which has the local setting off and GM turned on) plugged via midi cables into my US-428 (they are in the correct ports). When I record in Logic Express 7, the click goes through my monitors as well as the keyboard speakers. The actual midi instrument also comes out the keyboard speakers which is obvioulsy not what you want. During playback, all midi sounds come out the keyboard and audio tracks come out my monitors. I want all sounds (MIDI or audio) to come out my monitors, like it does in Garage Band. I have looked in Logic and I can't find anything that changes this. I changed some latency things but it just caused a delay between monitors and keyboard speakers.

Some extra help would be great.
Thanks

+Quote Post
banevt
post Sun 17 Jul 2005, 21:19
Post #4

Member No.: 28,332

I don't know what keyboard you have but it sounds like you have things set up right in Logic, but that maybe your keyboard doesn't have a way to turn off the keyboard speaker. If I understand you correctly you are saying that this setup works in both record and playback except the keyboard speaker is playing back what the us-428 should. If this is true it sounds like your setup is fine it's just that you need to find a way to turn off the keyboard's speakers. How do you have the audio outputs of your keyboard connected to the us-428? Does this keyboard have a switch to disable the keyboard speakers or switch between the speakers to the audio outputs? If you tell us what keyboard you are using it could be helpful. The way it sounds to me though is that the problem isn't with your Logic setup it's something with your audio routing in the keyboard. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Valente

+Quote Post
lacmackay
post Thu 21 Jul 2005, 05:57
Post #5

Hi,

I have a Casio CTK-601 keyboard. There is a setting in the MIDI section that is named 'local' and I turned that off, but i still have the MIDI and click going through the keyboard speakers during recording and playback. The audio out on the keyboard isn't plugged into anything because the midi recorded on Logic should go through the US-428 and out the audio output on that to the monitors, shouldn't it? As I said, Garage band is able to take the MIDI recorded from my keyboard and play it through the monitors so I can't understand why Logic express can't. I shouldn't have to have audio out on the keyboard plugged into anything, or am I totally wrong? Thanks for your help guys.

+Quote Post
banevt
post Thu 21 Jul 2005, 10:24
Post #6

Member No.: 28,332

Midi doesn't transmit any audio signal. All midi does is tell your keyboard or virtual instrument or whatever what note to play and how loud or soft depending on the way you played it. The audio is totally a different connection that has to be made. Your Logic and keyboard setup is working the way it should. The audio is only triggered by the midi you record in Logic. You could either connect your audio outputs on your keyboard to your line inputs 1/2 or 3/4 on the US-428 and create a stereo auxiliary track in Logic that has the same inputs you decide to connect your keyboard to and the outputs of the aux track routed to the stereo outputs of your US-428 and you will hear it through the speakers connected to your US-428. You will have to find a way to disable the speakers on your Casio keyboard so you won't hear audio through them. Usually I don't think Casio is very configurable but maybe the speakers will automatically be disabled when you connect your audio outputs to something. All you do when you disable local control is you make the keys you play on your keyboard not trigger audio, but instead trigger from your midi input which is the way you should do it if you want to record what you play in Logic and have Logic trigger the sounds on your keyboard. I guess to make a long story short midi doesn't have anything to do with actual audio except to trigger your keyboard to make a sound. I hope this isn't confusing, I know a lot of people get confused about audio and midi. Good Luck with your setup I guess maybe I could look up your keyboard online to find specific info on the exact setup step by step. If I do I'll post it here for you.

Valente

This post has been edited by banevt: Thu 21 Jul 2005, 10:27

+Quote Post
ourmanflinty
post Thu 21 Jul 2005, 12:38
Post #7

Member No.: 48,982

Plug the audio out of your keyboard into the US 428 and leave the midi plugged in too. Then you can record what your keyboard is playing onto an audio track or monitor it through an input track, but as the last guy said,

MIDi does not carry audio, only 'sequencer events'.

The audio must be recorded or monitored seperately. Garageband has its own little sound generators in there all working away to translate your midi into sounds, Logic Express can do this too but I'm guessing your just using a midi track not an instrument track.

--------------------
Simon Flinn
Install & Support Eng, Maintenance, Analog & Digi Electronics
Dist/Dlr background, Fast & Friendly, London & SE Based.
freelance studio support click here

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Tue 23 Apr 2024, 16:52
- © MacMusic 1997-2008