MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Studio Projects C1 Vs Audio Technia At4040, Which one for my saffire???
jdimitri
post Sat 18 Mar 2006, 14:02
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 75,204

Hi all! I've heard all about the C1 sounding like a U87 (i have no idea what that sounds like, but it sounds like it sounds good blink.gif )
But I've also read good reviews about the AT4040 and i think it looks better and more 'trustable' rolleyes.gif
Opinions please! ANY opinons welcome laugh.gif
Im going to use it with a saffire for recording my voice (male vocals)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
cornutt
post Tue 21 Mar 2006, 03:12
Post #2

Member No.: 3,371

As always with mics, it depends on what you want to do with it, and your ears are the final word. Having said that...

I've been looking at these same two models for a while, for use as a general-purpose mic for recording guitar amps, sampling work, and the occasional vocal. Based on the specs, I've just about decided on the C1. I'm also looking at the Studio Projects mic preamp (which I've forgotten the model number for at the moment).

--------------------
Dave Cornutt

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Tue 21 Mar 2006, 05:46
Post #3

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Group: Editors
Member No.: 2,758

VTB1 is the pre wink.gif

From test at friend's, we could have the C1 along U67 and 2 different U87 (one needing maybe some check up, the other top notch). It did nicely. To be precise, on the recording made to test (cello, my voice -bass baryton-, melodica)(sorry, it was what was needed then) the C1 was less noisy, somewhat airier, better dynamics and transients and the difference was evident, C1 was also a bit more bright. Now, I won't say for all use it'll be better instead of a 87. The 2 U47 were not on display that day so we couldn't compare laugh.gif (true btw wink.gif

The pre used were both high end stuff, though I don't remember the makes, sorry. (2 different sessions, all takes thru the same pre each time, recorded in Pro Tools, listened A/B)

I'm a strong advocate of the C1, now I can't help out of the AT4040 as I don't have listened to it in the same conditions…

jdimitri, what's your voice? Bass, barytone, tenor?

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
cornutt
post Tue 21 Mar 2006, 06:05
Post #4

Member No.: 3,371

QUOTE (lepetitmartien @ Mar 20 2006, 22:46)
jdimitri, what's your voice? Bass, barytone, tenor?

OK, I was about to ask, "where in the world did you find a baryton?" Then I realized you meant baritone... your voice...

(A "baryton" is an Elizabethian-era orchestra instrument. As near as I can figure, it's sort of a cross between a double bass and a Hamer 12-string bass. I've never actually seen one, just pictures.)

--------------------
Dave Cornutt

+Quote Post
jdimitri
post Tue 21 Mar 2006, 07:14
Post #5

Im a pop-rock singer so umm watever goes from a deep-ish voice to high falsetto... blink.gif
I'm not going to get a pre so the saffire's pre is all about its going to get

+Quote Post
edge100
post Tue 21 Mar 2006, 20:05
Post #6

Rookie

Member No.: 43,617

QUOTE (jdimitri @ Mar 18 2006, 13:02)
Hi all! I've heard all about the C1 sounding like a U87 (i have no idea what that sounds like, but it sounds like it sounds good blink.gif )
But I've also read good reviews about the AT4040 and i think it looks better and more 'trustable' rolleyes.gif
Opinions please! ANY opinons welcome laugh.gif
Im going to use it with a saffire for recording my voice (male vocals)

A C1 does sound like a U87, in the sense that both have a clear, open high-end, and are suited to voices that are not prone to sibilance (like mine is), or that need some added clarity in the highs. The C1 (and the U87) often excel on smooth female voices, since the high end is very flattering, but as soon as you switch to someone with a thin voice, watch out because you're going to end up emphasizing the wrong frequencies.

But the C1 ISN'T a U87. While the frequency response is good, the U87 has a certain something that the C1 doesn't. The U87 can give you almost a stereo sound from a single mic, if that makes sense. But for 1/8th the price, the C1 is 90% there.

The AT4040 is a much pricier mic than the C1, and also very nice. It doesn't have quite the same high-end pattern as a C1, but is in the same sonic league, IMHO.

I own a C1, and I use it every day. Its not perfect for my voice, but on songs that are lower in my range, it can work very nicely. Its ok on acoustic guitar, but again this depends on the tone you get from the specific instrument.

I've used the 4040 a few times (though I dont own one), and found it to be very nice. But I don't have enough experience to tell you to get it or not.

I love my C1, but its not for everything. BTW, the Studio Projects VTB1 preamp really makes the C1 sing, and fattens it up a bit. Recommended.

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Wed 22 Mar 2006, 02:26
Post #7

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Note that "baryton" is a French word and my voice of French-Swiss btw wink.gif , so ok, it's with an "i" in english… oops wink.gif laugh.gif

SE Electronics sE2200A is a good contender too.
The rode NT1A is a good performer too for low frequency voices, I don't know if you go in the highs…

The Saffire pre may be good (in the neutral way) but as edge100 said, it may be good sometimes to have a decent pre around which is not that transparent and help fattening/smoothing things and the VTB1 is a lawful contender smile.gif in the pre department there's plenty and to spare for as much $ you want to spend into so… (it's a religious subject too wink.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
jdimitri
post Tue 11 Jul 2006, 23:59
Post #8

Well... I haven't got anything yet
But go to www.myspace.com/softcorerock
and listen to drugs don't work (me singing)
Maybe you can tell me which one would suit me better then?
Thanks

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Thu 13 Jul 2006, 02:53
Post #9

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Start with an allrounder if it's your first mic as I believe.

If you plan to gig, go sm57, it's not original but it can't be destroyed by human means wink.gif You'll can go for something else later. The others named here should be great too. If there's a shop around where you are where you can try mic (there must be shops like that in Melbourne wink.gif, I strongly advise you to try a few in the US$150-250 range. Your fellows aussies from Rode have nice stuff working great, it should be available easily.

Another point, if you can, try the guitar with too, so you can have both! wink.gif

Do not invest for a higher price tag as it's not worth paying $$$ for a mic and not plug it into a decent pre/audio chain. What's the pre you use now?

--------------------

+Quote Post
jdimitri
post Thu 13 Jul 2006, 04:40
Post #10

Umm im using no pre...
I have an SM57 n an SM58 (hoo doesnt) and im currently using them to record guitar and vocals
So im gunna keep using SM57 for guitars (acoustic n electric) and maybe piano
and either of these mics is just going to be for vocals...
Maybe i'll get a cheap pre soon... VTB1 or maybe presonus tubepre or... blue tube... suggestions for pre would be appreciated too

This post has been edited by jdimitri: Thu 13 Jul 2006, 04:59

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Thu 28 Mar 2024, 13:16
- © 440 Forums 2011