MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Recording A Djembe, CAn't get that studio sound
Seth Peterson
post Mon 6 Jun 2005, 17:04
Post #1

Rookie

Group: Members
Member No.: 62,759

I have a selection of mics, use 98khz, and have a decent preamp but still can't get a good recording that captures the tone. I was thinking it might be the small room but not shure. Any help?

--------------------
Mac Book Pro Intel 2 duo, 2.16 2gb ram, Cubase 4, Reason 3.5, Peak, motu 828mkII, OctoPre Le, some mics and Ideas, and your helpful tips.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
tsuliman
post Mon 6 Jun 2005, 19:08
Post #2

Member No.: 10,971

I have done a bit of experimenting with the djembe, and so far, my best results have come bu using this technique:

1. Large conderser over the drum head about 6 inches, on a 45 degree angle, aimed at the center of the drum. I use a Neumann TLM103 or AT 4040. I use the AT4040 if I need to engage a -10dB pad, depending on the player.
2. Large diaphragm dynamic mic under the drum pointed directly up towards the center of the head. The capsule is actually in the drum about 2 inches. I use an AKG D112. I also reverse the phase on this input.

Mic (1) gets the slap of the head and the high tones that are played nearer the rim. Mic (2) gets the body of the drum and the low tone that is produced by playing the center of the head with the palm. I mix the two by ear to get a good level of the two sounds, primarily focusing on the top. If I use reverb, I send more of the top channel than the bottom.

Since neither the drums nor the players are standard, your mileage may vary. Good luck, and let us know if you learn any other tips!

+Quote Post
Adrian Delso
post Tue 7 Jun 2005, 10:11
Post #3

Rookie

Member No.: 36,390

...or cheat and download Doggiebox, which isn't very expensive. There is a wonderful collection of djembe samples, slaps, mutes, etc. and each hit is velocity-controllable in Doggiebox 1E7. cool.gif

+Quote Post
tsuliman
post Tue 7 Jun 2005, 14:28
Post #4

Member No.: 10,971

And sound like everyone else!

BOO!

angry.gif

+Quote Post
Adrian Delso
post Wed 8 Jun 2005, 08:48
Post #5

Rookie

Member No.: 36,390

Only trying to help. Mic-ing percussion is not easy, as you've obviously discovered. blink.gif

(BTW, my 'Rookie' grading here is only in relation to the number of posts I've made.)

This post has been edited by Adrian Delso: Wed 8 Jun 2005, 08:49

+Quote Post
Seth Peterson
post Thu 9 Jun 2005, 03:36
Post #6

Rookie

Member No.: 62,759

Thanks guys. I almost find that using samples is just as hard as working with live drums, in away. I don't have a neumons though. hmmm

--------------------
Mac Book Pro Intel 2 duo, 2.16 2gb ram, Cubase 4, Reason 3.5, Peak, motu 828mkII, OctoPre Le, some mics and Ideas, and your helpful tips.

+Quote Post
binarybloke
post Tue 2 Aug 2005, 09:43
Post #7

Member No.: 68,375

Before looking at the mics I'd be asking whether the djembe you have is of a high quality, and if it's tuned correctly. The room acoustics will have an impact also. Using a standard SM57 alone, or with the D112 as Tsuliman suggests, can bring pretty good results.

+Quote Post
wonderlandaudio
post Mon 8 Aug 2005, 22:56
Post #8

Member No.: 68,551

Just try this:Simple and efective. Put an SM57 in a 45 degree angle, just like a tom. Look for the muddy frecuency, usually around 500 Hz and get rid of it ( Q10 is a good plugin for doing that with narrow Q´s ). Compress to taste and add lots of 10K or 12K eq on a Pulteq EQP1A ( The plugin works well ). These together and in this order will give you a very hifi sound. Using a bottom mic depends on what kind of music you´re recording but if bass drum is an issue, dont use it.
Hope this helps.

+Quote Post
willismatt
post Thu 15 Sep 2005, 14:11
Post #9

Member No.: 69,944

Maybe try micing the djembe from underneath. Don't stick it inside the shell, try to capture where the note and the tone meet. Stick your head under the instrument and find where your ear tells you is the optimum point, put your mic there and see how you go.

Room does come into into the equasion. To battle the small room element try putting a reflective board (even a small - 1 metre high, chest of draws or stereo cabinent behind the mic...if you get my drift. This will amplify certain tones that may capture the true tone, or at least capture some 'false' bass sounds.

See what you think. Trust your ears.

willismatt blink.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Fri 29 Mar 2024, 10:47
- © 440 Forums 2011