MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Logic Pro 7, AUDIO PROBLEMS ( I'M NEW TO MAC/LOGIC)
PAUL R
post Sun 5 Jun 2005, 17:28
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 66,480

I am a pro musician who records rock music and Tv programme music - after lots of trouble with my PC and Cubase for seerals years , I finally made the move to MAC !! I got a new POWERFUL G5 (2.5 - 3meg ram) and Logic with a MOTU 24/io card... new pci card and drivers,so far,so good !! Its early days ( I've only been set-up 3 weeks) but one major niggle has appeared : I record audio in 24 bit resoloution and check the audio window and all files are present and correct at 24 bit but when I close a song/project down and re-load it,some of the audio files will not re load back into the song - desribed as being '8 bit and unplayable thru coreaudio' !! THESE FILES show as blank regions - I gotta say I'm frustrated by this as overall the new system is EXCELLENT - I am slowly working with apple support's help- but as yet no luck with resolving my problem !! I have as yet to figure if this happens randomly to audio tracks or possibly to ones I have copied and pasted within the arrange page.. either way when I have to re record guitar / vocal parts as they do not re load I'm not a happy bunny !!

ANY HELP ADVICE APPRECIATED - Paul unsure.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
glenc
post Sun 5 Jun 2005, 19:49
Post #2

Member No.: 64,387

I've got a similarish set-up to you (2.5 G5, 4GB RAM, MOTU 828MkII), and I had this problem with the 8-bit complaint, and some other, equally strange things in the Audio window in Pro 7 (such as "You can't save it as 'such-and-such' because that file already exists," even when it didn't), which went away when I upgraded to Tiger and Logic 7.1.

Don't know if you've upgraded to 7.1 yet, but if you haven't, I hope this helps.

glenc

+Quote Post
justd
post Mon 6 Jun 2005, 07:08
Post #3

Member No.: 44,584

Hi Folks,
I hope you did everything right in the preferences? I also have often problems with 7.1, sometimes the midi is not right and on and on. first thing I always do look in the preferences and look if somehtings changed, then in the Midi/audio-preferences in Mac and if nothings helping I make a restart after saving the file.

deejay huh.gif

+Quote Post
PAUL R
post Sun 26 Jun 2005, 12:28
Post #4

Member No.: 66,480

So, I got 7.1 upgrade and started to check if my 8 bit problem was fixed – I set up and logged on as new user thereby avoiding any ‘bad’ settings created by my initial set up with Logic ( as recommended by Apple support)- I think all settings were acceptable – very low buffer (64 so I can monitor via guitar amp pro with no latency) and 24 bit recording -the audio path was set. I put some guitar down and then proceeded to ‘repair’ certain sections – i.e record over portions of the already done guitar (this was dry no plug ins inserted on the track) after a while I decided to close and then re-open the song project and….sure enough 8 bit files were found and were unreadable by coreAudio.. The difference now is that I have an option to ‘repair’ these files and…wow.. it did repair the files and the song opened as one would expect with no missing ( greyed out ) audio. I tried opening songs recorded on 7.01 but repair damaged 8 bit files option DID’NT come up , so with the older songs I had to delete the damaged audio and re-track with the new version of Logic which, at present seems to repair the problem.
Not FIX the problem but at least I can work quite secure in the knowledge that I’ll have a redeemable track !
I’ve tried overdubbing with and without destructive record engaged and this problem will happen quite often and randomly, I’ve tried to keep a note of what I do but as this problem occurs after a song is closed, then I would literally have to make a small move/recording then close and reopen the song every minute ( not acceptable) but I DID try that for a while but went crazy !!
One thing I did stumble across was whilst tracking to open a newly created audio in the editor and click ‘update file information which occasionally told me that a file was corrupted as 8 bit – which meant I could work without closing the song down. I thought was acceptable as I could check audio whilst tracking– until once again on one occasion reopening a song the 8 bit unreadable message reared its ugly head and my ‘feel good factor’ was shattered !! .Another thing I found was that sometimes a wave file would not draw correctly after recording and this was a pointer to it being corrupted !!
I’m fairly new to Logic/Mac so I’m aware that I need to know the programme better – I am going on a week evening course starting tomorrow ( quite excited ) – but I think that something happens when the song is closed – is it possible the problem occurs when ‘exporting file maps’ procedure takes place on closing Logic ? Then when re opening the song the 8 bit message occurs because a file was not correctly written on quitting…??
I don’t know enough about all this tech stuff but hopefully someone may read and make sense of my experiences and notes..
I have , incidentally tried to make notes of what I do and will submit them to Apple support who have been quite helpful when I called them – although I would like to resolve the problem fully before my 90 day free support ends !! Its something like £200 for support after then – which I’m not happy about – certainly if the problem is with Logic why should I pay to help them sort out THEIR problem, I have spent a fortune on computer and software with Apple already !!
So, in summary – the problem writing, reading corrupt/damaged audio files is still there – the message NOW reads as ‘Audio file Invalid header data found - Path;/…etc’ and ‘Audio file with Invalid header found ,file name …etc’
BUT Logic appears to repair these files and open as expected.. So , I am happy to work with this. At least it encourages me to close the song and re open it every hour or so, which is good seeing as last year I suffered deep vein thrombosis whilst working on TV music for 10 hours a day. STUPIDLY I sat still for hours on end for weeks at a time only stopping for tea and pee.. TAKE NOTE YOU PEOPLE Please be aware of sitting about- its dangerous. I’m on treatment for LIFE and am lucky to be alive. .but that’s another story…
As for the file problem – if Logic 7.1 continues to repair these problems and I can continue to work care free and concentrate on being creative then I’M HAPPY – because boy, it beats my old system 100 fold…..hurrah !
Well…almost……if I want to record using my new user profile – then Logic wont authorise my 3rd party plug ins ! it’s a real hassle – I used my allotted 2 authorisations, the first on my old PC set up – and with new user the plug ins require new codes … on start up the authoriser freezes and I have to force quit to get into Logic and then untick my expensive plug ins. I tried moving the Authorisation keys etc to the shared user location and then into plug ins folder of my new user , but no , it don’t work !!

Oh well-at least I’m up and running on my original install. . I must’nt grumble… I got an awesome new G5 and lovely Logic and there is light at the end of the tunnel.
Please though Apple tell me why these problems occur, even out of curiosity.

Thanks to the guys that addressed my initial message – I’m gonna shut up and enjoy working on tunes now – I’ve had far too much of this problem solving and computer misery…I JUST WANNA ROCK !!

Paul

+Quote Post
Riverdog
post Mon 27 Jun 2005, 00:23
Post #5

Member No.: 38,439

I know this may be a long shot...
But, I noticed that your most recent message stated something about you had problems with the "WAV" file????
I'm not sure if this would make ANY difference at all... BUT:

Did you simply try just changing the TYPE Of file that you record???
In Logic in the audio section - you can choose the type of file that you wish to record...
It might be worth a try to change the recorded file type to " AIFF " or " SDII "...
AIFF is the standard "wav" file format that you would see if you happen to come from the PC world initially...

Maybe something in translation????

Unknown - But, certainly worth a "whirl" if nothing else is working...

Thoughts???

--------------------

+Quote Post
Riverdog
post Mon 27 Jun 2005, 00:30
Post #6

Member No.: 38,439

"FYI: .Another thing I found was that sometimes a wave file would not draw correctly after recording and this was a pointer to it being corrupted !! "

That was the quote...

And my "PS": I usually use SDII files recorded as 24bit 48Khz files ... I know you can use AIFF... And Sonically I myself cannot tell the difference... But, When I record in SDII files, it allows me to differentiate the files on my Mac... SDII files are all used by Logic - And my AIFF standard files are audio files for everything else...

One last thought - Is there some type of "Control Panel" for your audio interface that may be interferring with the "Audio and MiDI Setup" preferences???? I'm sure the gurus at Apple have probably forced you to open these particular programs numerous times... But, I just wanted to be sure...

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Mon 28 Oct 2024, 17:25
- © MacMusic 1997-2008