MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Microphone For Oud & Voice?, Need Help
jenbob
post Sat 12 Jul 2003, 12:58
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,058

I am a newbie and want to find a mic to record someone playing an oud and singing at the same time. Can I do this with one mic in a room? What mic (under $300) would you recommend? Is Sound Studio good enough application to do this with on an iBook G3?

I have a Sony MS 907 but I seem to be getting clipping.

thanks,
bob
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
rickenbacker
post Mon 14 Jul 2003, 10:40
Post #2

Maniac Member

Member No.: 4,705

As long as you're happy recording in stereo (ie both left and right channels at once), Sound Studio can do that. You can edit the channels separately afterwards, though, which is one advantage SS has over, say, Peak.

If you bought a small mixer, you could try panning one mic to one channel and one mic to the other for a more accurate mono" recording. If you wanted mono, that is. But if all you want is a live recording in stereo of someone singing and performing, captured with one mic in front of them, SS will do that. Got to be OS X, though.

I have an Audio Technica 4033a. It's nice enough. There are dozens of others around that price, though, and a lot of special offers are always floating about. You want a condenser, ideally. Rode do some nice mics around $300 (plus maybe a little more), as do AKG.

+Quote Post
kaboombahchuck
post Tue 15 Jul 2003, 00:54
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,003

I use a Otava MK-319. Got it on sale at guitar center for $200, including boom stand, mic cable, and shock mount. Watch those sales, there are some really good buys out there right now. In order to keep from clipping I use a Alesis NanoCompressor. Something that comes in real handy when recording live performances, where the sound can deviate conciderably.

--------------------
kaboombahchuck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Fri 29 Mar 2024, 16:20
- © 440 Forums 2011