MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest
7 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Best Multi-Track Recording Software For Newbies, Simple, effective, inexpensive, for OS X
Which would be your choice for the best multi-track recording program for the beginning home studio user?
Which would be your choice for the best multi-track recording program for the beginning home studio user?
Jasmine OS X 1.7.4 [ 1 ] ** [2.50%]
Metro 6 SE [ 13 ] ** [32.50%]
Intuem 2.1 [ 3 ] ** [7.50%]
Tracktion 1.5 [ 23 ] ** [57.50%]
Total Votes: 138
Guests cannot vote 
beltunabob
post Mon 26 Dec 2005, 03:21
Post #51

Group: Members
Member No.: 40,076

QUOTE (S.F.Selecta @ Dec 25 2005, 02:31)
If u want a great DAW just go with Ardour (its free but u should really make a donation) or if u want Audacity is a amazing program. After i started using those programs i cant even see why you would go with any comercial software, but i guess some ppl just think since its commercial its better.

Since you spoke of Audacity, I haven't been able to use it since I a) upgraded to Tiger and b) bought a Firebox. i get "Error while opening device. Please check the input settings and project sample rates." I've done that to the best of my newbie abilities And Ive downloaded the newer versions of Audacity.
The box seems to be working ok. Cubase sort of works. I like audacity because its simple and friends use it so we can trade files etc.
I guess I could find an audacity forum. I can't really splurge anymore, but i could save for academic Logic7 ($150 US) I basically doing acoustic audio capture (if that is le mot prŽcis.)
I just downloaded the demo Tracktion 3 ( I believe)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TheCatman
post Wed 1 Mar 2006, 21:39
Post #52

Member No.: 32,600

I know that this is an old thread, and I didn`t read EVERY posting on it, but i Think you should Try Audacity, which can be downloaded for fre from berkleeonline.

Nice little multi-track recorder.

--------------------
@ home:
iBook G4+FastTrack+Logic 7 - Just for fun

in the studio:
Dual G5+PT7LE+Logic 7+Live+Reason - They Get The Job Done

+Quote Post
Dadoo
post Thu 2 Mar 2006, 05:40
Post #53

Member No.: 32,387

I haven't had success with Audacity. What I do have now and is working fine is Intuem 3.5. It still works with my older Mac system and I get decent enough results and a fair number of features. This topic should probably be updated with a new poll of more current versions of the software available. When I started this topic, Garageband wasn't an option for me as my machine couldn't run it or even install it! That is still the case and so perhaps there is a reason for this niche of inexpensive software that can still run with minimum system requirements and have decent features and a clean and understandable interface.

+Quote Post
gogmagog
post Mon 27 Mar 2006, 16:04
Post #54

Rookie

Member No.: 47,579

best advice so far on this thread is the bit about buying an old version of logic

that way you can make the most of all the support forums that are out there

and you wont spend hours scratching your head or screaming 'why why why' into the carpet

+Quote Post
Stuarta
post Sat 11 Aug 2007, 01:13
Post #55

Member No.: 26,201

Traktion is a great piece of software and relatively inexpensive and easy to use. I voted for Metro, it has been around in one form or another for years and the support is really good. I have not had a great deal of luck wit hMackie support and I do have quite a bit of Mackie gear.

Please do not try and use your PA as a pre Amp for your Bass input, you will at the best get a misearable sound, and may blow some stuff up.

If you are going to go Direct Injection where you don't mike up the bass amp (and I don't blame you it is a hassle, even if the sound is great).

There are several ways t oget the bass into your interface without blowing it up and gainining a bunch of sounds as well.

Line 6 make the Bass Pod and it has a Direct injection out and it will emulate a ton of different bass cabinets and amps, plus give you some neat sound effects.

There may also be a setting on your Interface that can be set from say +4Dbu to -10Dbu which would give you quite a sound boost. If you are trying to go DI (Direct Injection) into your Interface, you need to ensure that at least one of the inputs is a Hi Z input as it is really not a good idea plugging a bass or a guitar directly into line input, especially one of those that is switchable between Micropone with Phantom Power and regular line.
I know you are just getting it together , but a good set of Pods or similar can first of all save you a lot of heartbreak, plus they can give you a ton of sounds you would have to tie down your CPU trying to reproduce. There are a lot of DI boxes out there, some are specific like the Damage Control boxes, and some are more generalized like the Line 6 gear.

If you already have your own sound and like it, then you really need to ne miking your amp up as that is the only way you will get the real sound of your stage performances.

If you are experimenting then the Virtual Amps and Cabinets that you can find around these days can be a reall buzz and save you a fortune.

+Quote Post
mortalengines
post Sat 11 Aug 2007, 21:30
Post #56

Advanced Member

Member No.: 65,373

If you are going to go Direct Injection where you don't mike up the bass amp (and I don't blame you it is a hassle, even if the sound is great).

There are several ways t oget the bass into your interface without blowing it up and gainining a bunch of sounds as well.

Line 6 make the Bass Pod and it has a Direct injection out and it will emulate a ton of different bass cabinets and amps, plus give you some neat sound effects.

There may also be a setting on your Interface that can be set from say +4Dbu to -10Dbu which would give you quite a sound boost. If you are trying to go DI (Direct Injection) into your Interface, you need to ensure that at least one of the inputs is a Hi Z input as it is really not a good idea plugging a bass or a guitar directly into line input, especially one of those that is switchable between Micropone with Phantom Power and regular line.

For whatever it's worth....most Interfaces that you buy out there have a Hi-Z input available. If you don't actually have a Hi-Z available, DI boxes can range anywhere from 50 to 200 bucks....that is a cheap way to get into the computer really. There are also a couple of really inexpensive Line 6 options that you may want to look into in addition to the pod.

+Quote Post
HaraldSchneller
post Sun 29 Jun 2008, 14:10
Post #57

Member No.: 101,708

Maybe, we are not patient enough...
I remember a time when I was offered a '65 Telecaster for 70 $, but did'nt have the money.
A digital workstation, like, (in fact, we are talking about a recording studio worth 2 million $)
Logic requires an Apple MacBookPro, no platform war, please
I remember times when trying to join a top 40 band you were expected to bring in a Fender Strat
and a Gibson Les Paul.
Bringing in a PRS and a Boogie, sigh, you just did not get the job, nothing has changed since then, anyway, nothing changes, only people change
Today, a setup fits into a bag on your shoulder, a mac, logic, a midi footcontroller, in-ear monitor
(for a mic also), a D/A converter, cables...
Best

+Quote Post
HaraldSchneller
post Tue 1 Jul 2008, 01:20
Post #58

Thank you moderator 4 delaying this threat
Come on in quick now, real instruments are past.
Use Wiki or anything else to grab an invitation to what an instrument can do.
Wow, this is some kind of a war...
Mail me privately at: HaraldSchneller@web.de

+Quote Post
PC88
post Mon 14 Jul 2008, 02:51
Post #59

Member No.: 102,274

QUOTE (zelen0 @ Sun 1 Feb 2004, 22:27) *
I suggest Garageband for simple recordings, and some interesting effect works, for loop based work.

i use GB, but I find that there is an abundance of lag/delay when recording a second real instrument - recording audio. any suggestions? I have 4 MGram in my iMac.

+Quote Post
HaraldSchneller
post Tue 15 Jul 2008, 05:09
Post #60

[quote name='lepetitmartien' date='Thu 12 Feb 2004, 22:52' post='74845']
Dadoo, can you stop bumping this thread?
Oh boy, I feel so tired not beeing on the road.

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Fri 19 Apr 2024, 17:47
- © MacMusic 1997-2008