MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Best Beginner Studio Mic?, Rode NT 2a
drewott
post Thu 23 Mar 2006, 21:18
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 72,112

Hi everybody! <said like dr. nick from the simpsons>

I've been doing a little bit of research on studio mic's and I think I have found a winner, but I would like you'all's input if you have any.

The Rode NT 2a seems versatile between the on-mic settings and any eq'ing done after the recording. My concern is that I know little about the company and quality of product. I am sure it's no chinese piece o' crap, but am unsure about it.

The goal is to buy 1 mic that can be used as a jack of all trades.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance for responding. Cheers!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
drae
post Fri 24 Mar 2006, 12:47
Post #2

Member No.: 53,992

I've had an NT2A for a while now and am happy with it.....vocals, acoustic guitar and in its figure 8 pattern for an MS stereo concert recording of bass clarinets! RODE are made in my home town - Sydney. They are good value and well made. Maybe some chinese parts but mostly local. Check their website www.rodemic.com and google for reviews (see SOS mag)

+Quote Post
zooot
post Fri 24 Mar 2006, 13:36
Post #3

Member No.: 41,958

good choice. wish i could afford a pair. rode is good stuff.

+Quote Post
ruipenha
post Fri 24 Mar 2006, 17:19
Post #4

Member No.: 19,808

I've never tried the NT2a, but I do use the NT2000's for every recording I make, along with other Rode mics... Actually my only non-Rode mic is a SM58! And, believe me, I usually don't buy allways the same brand, I usually don't do free publicity to a brand and I belive firmly in high-end stuff.

I find Rode microphones absolutely incredible, and not just for the price: e.g. if you do need low self-noise (as I do for recording contemporary classical concerts, where volume can vary between extremes and the microphones must be far away from the instruments) you have a real winner with the new capsule of the NT2000's, NT2a's and K2's. Neutral sound that deals very well with or without further processing...

PLUS, and believe me this can be very important in a microphone company, you'll deal with be best service in audio industry I found (perhaps beside little software companies like Cycling'74 or Jazzmutant). This guys are really proud of their products! And they should be...

So... I'm portuguese, not affiliated with Rode in any way and I'm a guy who refuses to wear clothes with branded signs, because I refuse to make free publicity, but I've tried many, many expensive and cheap microphones and I found no one which could beat the price/performance ratio of Rode, and I'm yet to find a better microphone than the NT2000 that costs less than 3 times as much.

Hope this can give you some confidence in your choice!

+Quote Post
eternaltedium
post Tue 30 May 2006, 03:28
Post #5

Member No.: 80,130

Additionally, I suggest you take a look or rather a listen at Audio Technica's AT2020 which is an incredible deal for a great sounding and very universally usable mic. At the price this mic sells I always keep a couple spares around. These are the best bang for the buck in the low budget range I've heard and they easily compare to Mic's 200-300 bucks more expensive.

My $0.02

+Quote Post
aportman
post Tue 30 May 2006, 05:14
Post #6

Rookie

Member No.: 72,457

I have 2 of the NT2's, and they are totally fantastic. For the money, I do not think that you cannot find a better universal mic for recording audio tracks. I have an Rhodes NTK , but many times revert back to the NT2's for the sound that I need.

Allen

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Thu 28 Mar 2024, 19:06
- © 440 Forums 2011