MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Clueless RAM Upgrade Question, is there a cheaper way to upgrade RAM?
glinka
post Wed 21 Sep 2005, 12:31
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 34,982

I've recently bought Logic Pro 7 (woo hoo!) and I now need to upgrade my imac, which is currently running OS 10.2.8, to Panther or Tiger, and I also need to upgrade my RAM from 256 to 512. But it looks like this gonna cost about £200 from the Apple shop. So my question is: is there a cheaper way? Can I get these things second-hand? Are ther disadvantages?

Thanks a lot.

Chris
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Wed 21 Sep 2005, 17:26
Post #2

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Group: Editors
Member No.: 2,758

NEVER buy RAM from Apple save if you got the money, it'll be cheaper thru authorized dealers, and even cheaper thru mail order/webshops.

Now, assure yourself before that the RAM is Apple compatible (that is, they warrant it) and of the return policy!!!

See here and Here

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
Dadoo
post Tue 4 Oct 2005, 03:44
Post #3

Member No.: 32,387

Hey glinka. I've purchased RAM a number of times through Other World Computing (it's in the USA, and I'm in Canada). Their prices are competitive and they seem to back up what they sell. They have a great RAM selector process by which you choose your model and it shows you the various types of RAM that will work with it. Check through the various makes available as the price can vary greatly simply by the "name" brand.

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Tue 4 Oct 2005, 04:31
Post #4

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

There are other threads on RAM (look in mac and peripherals) they will be usefull. cool.gif

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
glinka
post Wed 5 Oct 2005, 13:42
Post #5

Member No.: 34,982

Thanks guys, I'm continuing to look, and will bear your comments in mind. smile.gif

+Quote Post
CanadaRAM
post Sat 14 Jul 2007, 18:28
Post #6

Rookie

Member No.: 55,783

QUOTE (glinka @ Wed 21 Sep 2005, 11:31) *
I now need to upgrade my imac, which is currently running OS 10.2.8, to Panther or Tiger, and I also need to upgrade my RAM from 256 to 512.

Which iMac? There are 7 different families of iMac with 7 different types of RAM.
Highly recommend you get the maximum RAM your machine can take.
Crucial and Orca are 2 web-based sellers who serve the UK, if you are located there
Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM

+Quote Post
Penn Edwards
post Sun 15 Jul 2007, 15:18
Post #7

Member No.: 85,903

Check out MacRamDirect on the web.

+Quote Post
gdoubleyou
post Wed 18 Jul 2007, 20:35
Post #8

Maniac Member

Member No.: 2,002

For audio apps I suggest at least 1GB RAM, 512 MB is barely enough to run the OS, and will result in the OS accessing your system disk more, for virtual memory.

cool.gif

--------------------
G-Dub

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Thu 19 Jul 2007, 01:53
Post #9

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Gdoubleyour is dead right OS X coughs on 512 MBn holds the system fine on 712 MB, starts to breath from 1 GB on, screams with MORE. always have at least 1 GB or more. And the more the better especially if you use a lot of plug-ins, samples or virtual instruments.

I'd say (provided you can have them) a reasonable music setup should have between 1,5 and 2,5 GB of RAM.

--------------------

+Quote Post
d3i
post Sat 8 May 2010, 03:35
Post #10

Member No.: 113,520

new RAM even better the old one wink.gif

For the moment my RAM SAMSUNG HM251JJ Media, and thinking to change it... Which You guys, smile.gif may conseller to me, than...
cool.gif

dB

--------------------
<[]*_*[]>

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Thu 28 Mar 2024, 12:26
- © MacMusic 1997-2008