MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Who’s Interface Will Keep Me Happy?, compatible, reliable, interface
soundpie
post Tue 2 Nov 2004, 04:56
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 53,751

I have been saving for some time now for a new home recording studio. In a couple of months I will be financially ready, so my research intensifies. I have pretty much decided on a Dual 2GHz PowerPC G5 using Logic Pro 7. For awhile I thought I was going with an M-Audio 410 to interface my midi keyboard, microphones and guitars, but now I am not sure this is the wisest choice. I will only be recording two, maybe three, instruments simultaneously, but 95% of the time it will be one instrument or vocal at a time while I add a track to existing ones. What interface might work the best for me?

I want to purchase a unit that will be dependable, compatible and keep me happy through system upgrades. I have read that some users have been disappointed with M-Audio’s driver support, and I am now looking at the MOTU 828MKII. But do I really need all of its features, and is there a better alternative to spending so much money on a device that offers more than I need? In any case, I would gladly invest more money in an interface with continued reliable performance, compatibility and support, than save a little money now on a unit that brings potential disappointment. I would like to “do it right the first time”, if you know what I mean. I would appreciate any suggestions.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
kaboombahchuck
post Tue 2 Nov 2004, 10:54
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,003

The Motu 828 may seem like more than you will need. You need to realize that the ins and outs can also be used as hardware thru's. Looping stomp boxes, eq's, vocal prossesors and the like can really make a big difference when it comes to experimenting, or just adding something special where needed. So 8 ins and outs is not really that much.

--------------------
kaboombahchuck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

+Quote Post
jessone
post Tue 2 Nov 2004, 19:31
Post #3

Member No.: 42,954

Try the Emagic A6/2 M. Six in, two out audio plus midi interface. Small, inexpensive, noiseless and very cool to look at.

Good Luck

Jess

+Quote Post
soundpie
post Thu 4 Nov 2004, 14:11
Post #4

Thanks for the information. I am still leaning towards the MOTU 828MKI to grow with. The Emagic A6/2 M is an interesting device, but I think FireWire is the way I will go. I also like the idea of having built-in mic pre-amps in an interface. There must be some interfaces that are better to use with logic.

+Quote Post
jacobw
post Thu 4 Nov 2004, 17:49
Post #5

Member No.: 20,410

If you can wait for a bit, I'd check out the PreSonus FireBox. I've heard many good things about the FirePod (which is the beefier version of the FireBox) and got to demo it for myself at the local retailer. The FireBox seems to meet you needs quite well, and I think it is more for the money at the same price point as the FW-410.

+Quote Post
soundpie
post Sat 6 Nov 2004, 03:09
Post #6

Thanks jacobw the FireBox is a good alternative to the FW-410. While following the link you posted I looked at the PreSonus FIREPOD which appears to be a good interface for OS X and is a lot more versatile, for not that much more money. The FIREPOD is even less than the MOTO 828MKII. Leaning towards the FIREPOD now, but still shopping. I still would appreciate any suggestions.

+Quote Post
iShawn
post Sat 6 Nov 2004, 05:59
Post #7

Rookie

Member No.: 54,280

QUOTE (soundpie @ Nov 5 2004, 20:09)
Thanks jacobw the FireBox is a good alternative to the FW-410. While following the link you posted I looked at the PreSonus FIREPOD which appears to be a good interface for OS X and is a lot more versatile, for not that much more money. The FIREPOD is even less than the MOTO 828MKII. Leaning towards the FIREPOD now, but still shopping. I still would appreciate any suggestions.

Yeah, at the same sampling and the ability to interlink them in the near future (I guess there's a Windows beta out, but soon they're be one for OS X) you'd have 16 mic pres with two at about the same price give or take. Plus the same S/PDIF input as the FirePod is found on the MOTU. I'd say go with the FirePod for price and the things you'll have especially if you link two together...unless you already have a Preamp with an ADAT Lightpipe...otherwise go the Firepod. I've heard great reviews and it's steered me towards it to almost absolution. Almost.

--------------------
-Shawn
Powerbook 1.5GHz G4 512RAM
Presonus Firepod | Logic Express 7.1 | Keystation 49e | 10.4.2 OS X

+Quote Post
terrywil
post Sat 6 Nov 2004, 06:25
Post #8

Member No.: 29,767

Hi. I use a G5 dual 2.0 with Logic 7 and the MOTU 828MKii. The MOTU is an excellent, reliable interface. Can't say enough great things about it.

--------------------
"...I just don't know...it sounds funny."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mac G5, dual 2.0 GHz, MOTU 828 MkII interface, Virus TI Keyboard, Genelec 1029A and Mackie HR824 monitors, Mackie Control Universal, Presonus Eureka and ART DPS II preamps, Presonus Central Station, AKG C1000S and C3000 mics. Logic Pro 7.2, Trilogy, Stylus, Atmosphere, Native Instruments Komplete 2.

+Quote Post
soundpie
post Sat 6 Nov 2004, 14:09
Post #9

Hi. I use a G5 dual 2.0 with Logic 7 and the MOTU 828MKii. The MOTU is an excellent, reliable interface. Can't say enough great things about it.

Congratulations, and appreciation, your post has the kind of information I am looking for, real world application. Can you say more great things about it?

+Quote Post
terrywil
post Sat 6 Nov 2004, 18:05
Post #10

Member No.: 29,767

Hi Soundpie.

In my experience, the MOTU 828MKii has been 100% reliable, compatible through several OS X upgrades (now at 10.3.5), and compatible through Logic 6 Platinum upgraded to Logic 6 Pro, and now Logic 7 Pro. I do a lot of MIDI tracks, but also audio tracks (mics and guitar direct into the unit) - no glitches, no noise. The unit is solidly constructed. The software that comes with the unit, CueMix, is a bit unintuitive, but I really don't use it anyway in my system. A great piece of gear.

--------------------
"...I just don't know...it sounds funny."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mac G5, dual 2.0 GHz, MOTU 828 MkII interface, Virus TI Keyboard, Genelec 1029A and Mackie HR824 monitors, Mackie Control Universal, Presonus Eureka and ART DPS II preamps, Presonus Central Station, AKG C1000S and C3000 mics. Logic Pro 7.2, Trilogy, Stylus, Atmosphere, Native Instruments Komplete 2.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Sun 28 Apr 2024, 18:19
- © MacMusic 1997-2008