MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Midi Features Of Logic Express
porius
post Sat 7 Aug 2004, 21:02
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 28,429

I converted from PC to Mac last October - best move ever. I am now about to purchase a software sequencer and I've pretty much decided to go for Logic Express. However, I have been trying to find out just what Logic Express can offer in Midi features and functionality as I will be primarily using for Midi manipulation, recording and scoring.

Can anyone who uses it tell me what these features are:

1) Function Set: Advanced

2) Hyper Editor

3) Transform Editor

Something I used a lot when I was a Cubase user on the PC was the ability to globally shorten the notes of a whole midi track to a given length. Not quantisation but just the value of a note. Is this possible with Logic Express?

Thanks
Mike
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
arvidtp
post Sat 7 Aug 2004, 23:00
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,850

porius,

I am a new (about 3 weeks) logic user [but Pro Tools and MaxMSP prior, so not a Noob) and I am really liking it after dealing with unstable and inefficient Pro Tools LE for a year. Unfort. I still have to use the Mbox...

I don't know what the "Function set" means, that seems like just something they can say to say it, but the Hyper-editor is a view where you can basically see MIDI events as a bar graph for each event representing its value - if that makes sense. So you can draw controllers and stuff in MIDI in different way than automation - you see everything that is happening at once, each on a different horizontal line. Also good for drum editing - splitting each drum into a track like a pattern sequencer type of thing. Have not used it much.

The transform is much like what you say for note manipulation. It allows you to do operations on selected or all MIDI events. Has some presets plus you can build your own transforms and save them for later use. You get to use some math, not just nansy-pansy stuff. ALso a lot of stuff can be done globally and non-destructively from the arrange window in the same place where you set quantization etc.

I dont think the scoring features of Logic Express are quite as extensive as Pro, but I have never used express. It may be sufficient. So good luck!

--------------------
-Arvid •• Squish the Squid Productions, Modest Machine

•• digitally augmented trumpet, TOOB, flugelhorn, cracklebox, percussicube, no-input-mixers and Macbook Pro, 2.4 GHz 15", MacOS 10.5, MOTU Ultralite, Logic Studio 9, MaxMSP 5, JackOSX ••
•• Electronic-experimental, jazz, digital instrument design, electronics, unique software and performance.••
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Fri 13 Sep 2024, 14:51
- © MacMusic 1997-2008