MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Question About Os9?, i just bought a G4 and i need help...
rony6464
post Tue 10 Jan 2006, 18:32
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 62,011

hi, i just bought a dual processor g4 on ebay and it only came with OSX but i need OS9 for the version of Pro Tools software that i have. i was wondering if anyone could let me know what's the best way to get an old version of OS9 to install on my computer? thanks
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
cascabel
post Wed 11 Jan 2006, 11:50
Post #2

Member No.: 49,970

In OSX the older version OS9 shall be installed as "Classic". Check out if you have two system folders on your G4. Check also the "Startvolume" edits - if there are two systems showed, you can change the startvolume to OS9 and make a new start with it. If there is no "Classic" installed, you need the original OSX CD to install the "Classic" system folder. Another alternative is to put a second volume with OS9 into the G4 and then you can change the startvolume as written above.

+Quote Post
rony6464
post Wed 11 Jan 2006, 12:36
Post #3

thanks cascabel for the reply. i actually need OS9 for the program that i want to use to record music. Unfortunately, classic won't work with Pro Tools version 5 of the software, it requires everyone to use OS9 and i'm not familiar with OS9 at all. i just started using Macs last year when i got into music production and i've only learned to use and work with OSX.

i'll check and see if OS9 is on the computer. but just incase it's not installed already, can you or anyone tell me the best way to get a copy of OS9 and install it? any suggestions or advice would mean a lot to this newbie. thanks

This post has been edited by rony6464: Wed 11 Jan 2006, 12:39

+Quote Post
deaconblue
post Wed 11 Jan 2006, 14:42
Post #4

Member No.: 11,156

rony,

check the KBase article for installing OS 9 as classic on your computer. However, you need to verify that your PMac will actually run OS 9 as a boot volume, vs. only as a classic system install for OS X support.

What specific Pmac DP do you have? Check "About this Mac" and then "More Info". This will give you both product family and prodcut name.

Based upon that you should be able to determine if your CPU supports OS 9 booting. If you have the original install/restore CDs, then you can install classic support and/or OS 9 from there.

good luck.

peace,
deacon

--------------------
...as you dream you shall become.
boxed art media
Musicians' Access
M.A.W.R web radio

+Quote Post
rony6464
post Wed 11 Jan 2006, 15:50
Post #5

hey deaconblue, i'm pretty new to this computer/mac world and i'm having trouble following ya. can you clerify what you mean by "product family or product name"? when i click on "about this mac" and then more info, i don't see either of those? it says:
Machine Name: Power Mac G4
Machine Model: PowerMac3,3
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (2.9)
Number of CPUs: 2
CPU Speed: 450 MHz

does any of this makes sense? i feel like i'm reading a foreign language! please help?

I don't have the original install/restore CDs because i bought this machine on ebay and the guy selling it wasn't the original owner. How can i get on Install CD?

thanks.

+Quote Post
UP Multimedia
post Thu 12 Jan 2006, 06:31
Post #6

Rookie

Member No.: 69,997

Just get one from a Mac Dealer or Repair Shop. Too easy. Good luck.

+Quote Post
rony6464
post Thu 12 Jan 2006, 14:38
Post #7

ok, sounds like a good idea. thanks UP Multimedia for the suggestion...i would have never thought to ask a repair shop.

+Quote Post
deaconblue
post Thu 12 Jan 2006, 15:24
Post #8

Member No.: 11,156

rony,

sounds like you have a PowerMac G4 (Gigabbit Ethernet) Dual Processor. The original Mac OS version for that machine is Mac OS 9.0.4. You should be able to get an original set of discs from a local Apple Authorized Service Provider (AASP). To find one near you, check out the "Find Apple Service" page to locate one near you if you are in the US; if not, use the Apple Support Home Page to select your country, then the Hardware and server link, then the G4 & G4 Cube link and finally the PowerMac G4 Service FAQ link to use the service locator for your area.

Sorry for the run on. Worst case scenario, if there is not an AASP in your area, you can call the Apple support line (check the support link above to find the right number for your area) and call up and request the discs be mailed to you. There is a fee for the media and shipping and handling.

Good luck!

peace,
deacon

--------------------
...as you dream you shall become.
boxed art media
Musicians' Access
M.A.W.R web radio

+Quote Post
rony6464
post Thu 12 Jan 2006, 17:41
Post #9

thanks for the helpfull info. i actually found a few places online that i can order the OS9 discs, and the upgrades or updates. so i guess i'll be getting it through one of these that i found online, because i'm sure they're cheaper than buying it through APPLE. but thanks for the info deaconblue.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Fri 19 Apr 2024, 05:22
- © MacMusic 1997-2008