MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Firewire Options On New Imacs, Is the 400/800 combination significantly better?
cgt18
post Thu 12 Oct 2006, 11:05
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 49,309

I'm looking to buy either the latest 20" iMac or the 24" model.

I think the 20" screen size would be enough for me but I am wondering if the 2 x Firewire 400 ports will be
ok....or to look at it another way would the 1 x 400/ 1 x 800 on the 24" model give me a significant performance boost. I would probably go for 2 Gig of RAM to begin with whichever machine I opt to go for.

I am running Logic Pro 7/ Motu 828 MK2/ Powercore Firewire and a LaCie external drive via Firewire for my
audio files. Current computer is a 1 Ghz/17" Powerbook /1 Gb RAM ( I use the 400 port for my Motu, the
800 for the Audio/HD and the Powercore goes into the 2nd Firewire port on the 828...)

I rarely go to more than 24 audio tracks on any song.

Any thoughts much appreciated!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
monkeyboy23
post Thu 12 Oct 2006, 21:50
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Team
Member No.: 74,134

QUOTE (cgt18 @ Thu 12 Oct 2006, 10:05) *
I'm looking to buy either the latest 20" iMac or the 24" model.

I think the 20" screen size would be enough for me but I am wondering if the 2 x Firewire 400 ports will be
ok....or to look at it another way would the 1 x 400/ 1 x 800 on the 24" model give me a significant performance boost. I would probably go for 2 Gig of RAM to begin with whichever machine I opt to go for.

I am running Logic Pro 7/ Motu 828 MK2/ Powercore Firewire and a LaCie external drive via Firewire for my
audio files. Current computer is a 1 Ghz/17" Powerbook /1 Gb RAM ( I use the 400 port for my Motu, the
800 for the Audio/HD and the Powercore goes into the 2nd Firewire port on the 828...)

I rarely go to more than 24 audio tracks on any song.

Any thoughts much appreciated!

You won't get any boost in performance unless the equipment in question is firewire 800...plugging a firewire 400 device into a 800 port doesn't make it faster.

+Quote Post
cgt18
post Fri 13 Oct 2006, 10:35
Post #3

Member No.: 49,309

Thanks Monkeyboy...

The only piece of my kit that has an 800 port is the LaCie External Drive....
do you think there would be any perceptible difference if the Audio files are coming back via a 400?

Am I right in thinking that there might be a very slightly greater latency...BUT to a degree that is so small that
it is still perfectly acceptable to work with?

Can I also assume that a 400 is well capable of streaming the kind of track counts I use ( max 24 usually)?

Cheers
Chris

+Quote Post
monkeyboy23
post Fri 13 Oct 2006, 15:59
Post #4

Group Icon

Group: Team
Member No.: 74,134

QUOTE (cgt18 @ Fri 13 Oct 2006, 09:35) *
Thanks Monkeyboy...

do you think there would be any perceptible difference if the Audio files are coming back via a 400?

Am I right in thinking that there might be a very slightly greater latency...BUT to a degree that is so small that

Can I also assume that a 400 is well capable of streaming the kind of track counts I use ( max 24 usually)?

Cheers
Chris

FW 400 can handle the track counts, assuming the drive is up to the task (LaCie usually is...I have one as well). Since it's a FW 800 drive, you'll see better performance on an 800 port, but it won't be THAT much...audio work doesn't really soak the 400 bus too much, but every bit helps.

I would say go for the 24" iMac. The extra screen real estate always comes in handy! Since your drive is already 800, it would seem like the logical choice.

Enjoy the new machine, whichever you choose!

+Quote Post
kabie
post Sat 17 Feb 2007, 13:38
Post #5

Member No.: 9,764

QUOTE (monkeyboy23 @ Fri 13 Oct 2006, 14:59) *
QUOTE (cgt18 @ Fri 13 Oct 2006, 09:35) *

Thanks Monkeyboy...

Cheers
Chris

FW 400 can handle the track counts, assuming the drive is up to the task (LaCie usually is...I have one as well). Since it's a FW 800 drive, you'll see better performance on an 800 port, but it won't be THAT much...audio work doesn't really soak the 400 bus too much, but every bit helps.

I would say go for the 24" iMac. The extra screen real estate always comes in handy! Since your drive is already 800, it would seem like the logical choice.

Enjoy the new machine, whichever you choose!

Hi Chris
I've just opted for the iMac 24 and find both the extra screenspace and the 800 firewire port absolutley great. I also have a LaCie HD on the 800 and it works fine. I'm running Cubase 4 and it gives enough room to have all the windows I need open at once whereas I had to run two monitors before and even they didn't give as much room. My only problem is with the core audio link to my Inspire Presonus 1394 via the 400 firewire port. For some reason this won't work until I unplug the link with a sound signal running and replug. Doesn't make sense and neither Presonus, Apple or Cubase can give me any reason.

Otherwise though I find the iMac 24 a really superb machine. Go for it!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Sat 27 Apr 2024, 08:24
- © MacMusic 1997-2008