MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tascam Us-144 Mkii - Gb Guitar, Garageband guitar input - no channel ?
finmuffin
post Tue 15 Jun 2010, 07:20
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 114,300

Hello folks,

I have a problem with my Tascam 144-US mkII and Garageband (09) on Snow Leopard and a Macbook pro 13.

I want to use the guitar input of the Tascam as a guitar instrument in Garageband. However, it seems that it's impossible to set the appropriate (usb?) channel so that GB takes its input from the guitar in. The result is - nothing can be recorded.

Using the voice instrument in GB lets me select the input channel, so I can make it work, but then I can't use the guitar effects :-(

Bug in Tascam, Garageband or Snow Leopard?

Any hints appreciated ;-)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dasa Soul
post Wed 16 Jun 2010, 05:08
Post #2

Member No.: 38,418

QUOTE (finmuffin @ Tue 15 Jun 2010, 07:20) *
Hello folks,

I have a problem with my Tascam 144-US mkII and Garageband (09) on Snow Leopard and a Macbook pro 13.

I want to use the guitar input of the Tascam as a guitar instrument in Garageband. However, it seems that it's impossible to set the appropriate (usb?) channel so that GB takes its input from the guitar in. The result is - nothing can be recorded.

Using the voice instrument in GB lets me select the input channel, so I can make it work, but then I can't use the guitar effects :-(

Bug in Tascam, Garageband or Snow Leopard?

Any hints appreciated ;-)

Aloha , have u set your audio preferences?>Systenm Preferences>Audio>imput? And in GB Preferences>Audi/midi > input,? smile.gif then the audio coming from your Tascam 144 into GB ,will be in a audio track in GB

+Quote Post
finmuffin
post Wed 16 Jun 2010, 09:34
Post #3

QUOTE (dasasoul @ Wed 16 Jun 2010, 13:08) *
Aloha , have u set your audio preferences?>Systenm Preferences>Audio>imput? And in GB Preferences>Audi/midi > input,? smile.gif then the audio coming from your Tascam 144 into GB ,will be in a audio track in GB

Hi there,

Yep, double checked wink.gif
In fact, it all works with voice instruments because I can select the input channel in the GB track info.
But for the electric guitar instrument, there are no options to set the input. (I need channel 2, which is the "guitar in" on the Tascam).

It seems to me this is an ommission in GB (09).
How does this work for other USB interfaces and the GB guitar input? Can you select an input channel or does GB "do the right thing" automatically?

Cheers,

+Quote Post
Dasa Soul
post Thu 17 Jun 2010, 07:45
Post #4

Member No.: 38,418

You can add a Guitar track to play and record an electric guitar in GarageBand. In an Electric Guitar track, you can choose guitar presets and amp models for highly realistic guitar tone, and add stompbox effects to customize your sound.
An Electric Guitar track is a special type of Real Instrument track. Recordings you make in an Electric Guitar track appear as Real Instrument regions.
To add a guitar track:

Click the Add Track (+) button, or choose Track > New Track.
In the New Track dialog, select Electric Guitar, then click Create.
A new Electric Guitar track appears in the timeline, and the Track Info pane opens showing the guitar amp.

Choose a guitar preset from the pop-up menu at the top of the Track Info pane.
Click the amp, then drag the amp controls below the stage to adjust the sound of the amp.
To choose a different input for the guitar, click Edit or double-click the amp, then choose the input from the Input Source pop-up menu.
If your guitar is connected to your computer with an adapter cable, choose Line In. If your guitar is plugged into an audio interface connected to your computer, choose the correct mono channel from the list.
To hear your guitar as you play and protect against feedback, choose On from the Monitor pop-up menu. On lets you hear your guitar as you play, but warns you if feedback occurs.
Click the stompbox on the stage, then drag the stompbox controls below the stage to adjust the sound of the stompbox.
When you are finished, click Done.
You can choose a guitar amp, add stompbox and other effects, and save your own guitar presets. When you save an instrument preset on an Electric Guitar track, the preset includes the current amp model, amp settings, stompboxes, and effects. To learn how, see Related Topics below.
cool.gif

+Quote Post
midiwife
post Thu 17 Jun 2010, 09:06
Post #5

Rookie

Member No.: 8,287

In short, clicking on the amp makes it spin round and that's when you get the input choice drop down, just the same as on a microphone track!
I admit, it's not immediately obvious but I can assure you it works just fine. And what fun you'll have!

This post has been edited by midiwife: Thu 17 Jun 2010, 09:07

+Quote Post
finmuffin
post Thu 17 Jun 2010, 12:36
Post #6

dasasoul, midiwife,

A million thanks!!

Indeed, double clicking on the amp box brings the low-level setup panel.
And it all works now!

Cheers! smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Fri 29 Mar 2024, 02:48
- © 440 Forums 2011