MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tascam 1884 - Is It Good?, how well does Tascam 1884 work?
Markiewicz
post Tue 17 Aug 2004, 18:02
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,433

I am thinking of getting a Tascam 1884, but I'm not sure how it rates against something like the Motu 828 or 896 combined with a Mackie Control Universal... has anyone been using one with OS X for a while? Is it reliable? Does it sound great?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
fvdveen
post Wed 18 Aug 2004, 08:18
Post #2

Member No.: 23,517

As said at other places: Go for the Yamaha 01x digital mixing studio. By far the best user experience in combination with the Mac. Check out http://www.01xray.com for information and the forums for user feedback.

- Mackie control
- Very high quality sound
- Firewire connectivity
- Digital faders
- Many, many features

+Quote Post
Markiewicz
post Wed 18 Aug 2004, 22:36
Post #3

Oh no! More options! Just when I thought I had narrowed it down! Checking out 01X website now, thanks for the tip!

+Quote Post
rololux
post Thu 26 Aug 2004, 15:40
Post #4

Member No.: 30,072

I've been using an FW-1884 with Logic Pro for about 8 months. Drivers were a bit dodgy at first, but the latest one is fine. Love it to bits - it does everything I want it to, and very very well.

It is different from the 01x - you'll have to decide which you prefer, but IMHO there are a few significant advantages of the Tascam:

1. 100mm Faders instead of 60mm, and smooth as anything
2. Touch sensitivity - on the TASCAM you just put your finger on a fader to select the track - on the Yamaha it does not selecty until you move the fader.
3. Expandability - I added an FE-8 a few months ago after finding it frustrating having to switch between banks all the time - you cannot expand the Yamaha.

There are plenty of other differences, but you'll see that from the specs. Thing is, they're both really good, so you won't make a bad decision.

+Quote Post
rololux
Post #5

I've been using an FW-1884 with Logic Pro for about 8 months. Drivers were a bit dodgy at first, but the latest one is fine. Love it to bits - it does everything I want it to, and very very well.

It is different from the 01x - you'll have to decide which you prefer, but IMHO there are a few significant advantages of the Tascam:

2. Touch sensitivity - on the TASCAM you just put your finger on a fader to select the track - on the Yamaha it does not selecty until you move the fader.
3. Expandability - I added an FE-8 a few months ago after finding it frustrating having to switch between banks all the time - you cannot expand the Yamaha.

There are plenty of other differences, but you'll see that from the specs. Thing is, they're both really good, so you won't make a bad decision.

+Quote Post
rololux
Post #6

+Quote Post
rololux
post Thu 26 Aug 2004, 15:41
Post #7

+Quote Post
rololux
post Thu 26 Aug 2004, 15:45
Post #8

Bizarre - quadruple post - sorry chaps!

+Quote Post
Markiewicz
post Thu 26 Aug 2004, 22:43
Post #9

Thanx Rololux

Your words bring me hope and comfort! They were worth stating 4 times! biggrin.gif

The only trouble I have now is I am stuck in this apparent backwater of Oz, where there are 01xes for me to try, but would you believe it, there is NOT ONE 1884 available!

And... get this- thanx to problems with the same sole distributor, Logic Pro6 is NOT Available!!

They think my G5 may be coming sometime in the next month....

Patience is a virtue they say...

In the mean time, thanx for confirming that my instincts are not completely crazy- I have not heard a bad word about the 1884 yet.

+Quote Post
Nels
post Fri 27 Aug 2004, 11:30
Post #10

Member No.: 25,398

Markiewicz,

..Just in case you might reconsider the O1X, ..DON'T! On one hand, it really is a very cool audio/midi interface - Control Surface, with many attributes that the 1884 doesn't have, but the most important attribute of all, simply put, doesn't work well in Mac OS X and with most DAWs. I've read that the O1X is now working with Cubase, but that there are noted problems still.

..The idea was/is mLAN networking..... The ability to hook up a Yamaha keyboard(MOTIF ES), the O1X, and other mLAN compatible ..all up together with just a few Firewire cables. No other cables at all would be needed, except for a mic, guitar or bass cable in the HI Z. Great idea, but as it is a common practice these days for companies to release their unfinished products/software/drivers ..well, let's just say, ..this is the mother of them all. Don't take my word for it though. Just read(if they haven't screened by now) all the unhappy owners of a great in theory product that fell from grace. ..I was one of those very disappointed owners. Luckily, I was able to get a full refund.

The only thing Tascam left out when creating the FW1884 was the LED read out. Would have been nice! Other than that, it's an excellent unit. Wish there were more choices in the way of an all in one audio/midi/Control Surface/interface, but it'll be tough to beat the FW1884, I'm sure. ...And if for no other reason, ...cause it actually works. ...I don't own, but have tested the FW1884 and it's most definitely a unit anyone would be happy to own.

Good luck and have fun with which ever new toy(s) -

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Thu 28 Mar 2024, 09:41
- © 440 Forums 2011