MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cheap Midi Controller Or Synth Controller?
the clash
post Sat 27 Mar 2004, 19:20
Post #1

Rookie

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,220

After months of research, decision making and saving I have decided to go the soft synth route and start off by purchasing Logic Pro 6, Reason & a Midi Controller.
The only thing Im not sure about is the quality of these Midi Controllers, they look a bit cheap and look as if they wont last very long.

I don't want to pay for an expensive keyboard with many sounds & sequencer especially if I will be using Logic & Reason.
Would I be better off paying a bit more money and purchasing something like a Alesis Ion or Novation KS4 and using one of these as a Midi Controller?
I know these are probably not up to the build quality of something like a Korg Triton for example but I feel they would be better than a cheap Midi Controller.
Please help! (£500 is my budget)

Cheers.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
robomark29
post Sun 28 Mar 2004, 20:39
Post #2

Member No.: 38,982

I'm not sure how much a KStation is over there... but I'm using the Novation Remote25 and I love it. No sounds, but such nice MIDI capabilities it's worth it. The Novation quality is so beyond any other small midi controller it's not a contest. I thought about the ION as a controller, and while I heard it's great for sounds, reviews said the keyboard was a little cheap feeling and there's no aftertouch, which I *really* like.

I've heard that Novation is coming out with a 61 key version of the Remote, but it's listing for $800 US! That's a bit crazy, IMO, as you can get an 88 key weighted Yamaha digital piano for that. I would like a good 61 key controller though, I'm not sure what I'm going to do. For now I'm using the Remote25 and my wife's Roland JX-305. If you get the ION I'd be curious to see how it does as a controller.

Mark

+Quote Post
krisg
post Mon 29 Mar 2004, 07:49
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 268

I've got the remote 25 as well and I also love it. And the knobs are great!

--------------------
When you understand disorder, out of that understanding comes order-JK.
http://www.audioplanet.fr

+Quote Post
davinci
post Sat 29 May 2004, 00:47
Post #4

Member No.: 44,090

Hi all!

Smokin my hardrive with sonar3

i say...any controller is great considering i only have a keyboard...(can do virtual midi with pc keyboard)

sooo...

if you have the money...sure get a key weigthed controller
why not, you only live once my friend...

its tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiime

to sock it to it...

mo power to ya get a good controller

+Quote Post
robomark29
post Sat 29 May 2004, 03:41
Post #5

Member No.: 38,982

Well, that's not always a question of quality. I love the Novation's action and I don't like my wife's Yamaha weighted keyboard's action. I'm mainly a guitarist and not a piano so I'm just not used to it, also I love the aftertouch. Let's me dig into a note like I would with a guitar.

That being said, I bought a referbished E-MU Halo instead of waiting for the Novation Remote61. It was $300 and it's pretty good in the action dept and has a bunch of decent sounds. I think they're discontinued, so get them while you can.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Fri 19 Apr 2024, 04:53
- © 440 Forums 2011